1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KJ McDaniels tweets he wants to play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

At least KJ can make a dunk or a layup ffs...and i mean, everyone knows he's still a better shooter and defender than Brewer...he has still some upside left and you can still develop him, we could've use some fresh legs more, Pop plays 12 guys every game even if his team is healty...we're still playing a 8 man rotation during the end of the hardest stretch in the league and while we have two/three half injured players...this doesn't make any sense, and in fact it would make sense to play KJ for every single one of these reasons. There must be something between him and the coach...and even though i don't think this is THE problem why we're sucking right now (obviously), it's still something that is hurting us.

2. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Man, I remember when KJ used to play with so much energy during garbage time for his first and second season. I remember this one time in garbage time he got 2 blocks on a fastbreak where he ran the full length of the court to block a layup against the Spurs. Now he just looks unmotivated to do anything. I think that benching earlier in the season killed his motor. Rockets pay him but, don't play him.

xtruroyaltyx and DonKnock like this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It looks like the only way he will see floor time is if he goes back to this hair style.

[​IMG]

Then he can be turned upside down and used to mop the Toyota Center court.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

It makes him look taller, I think that's how he fooled the coaches into playing him.

HTX Ninja likes this.
  5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

It doesn't make sense how the Rockets want 3s and layups, but they keep this kid glued to the bench. He dunks it home every chance he gets. He can attack the rim and when he is in teams change up the way they play. Sure, they sag off him but he seems to play well off of that. He now has space to operate and make smart-timed cuts from good angles. He does that well.

3s are not consistent. When they're not falling you have to take it inside or throw the oop to keep the scoreboard moving. In that 4th the Rockets kept missing threes and the Hawks kept running in transition. The Rockets just needed one lay up to fall to get the win (OR EVEN AN OPEN SHOT, bc driving and kicking out...playing inside out gets your shooters open).

6. ballgame

ballgame Member

The best part of the Rockets is MDA, his system is spectacular AND the worst part of the Rockets is MDA, he is another one of many Rocket's stubborn Head Coaches we've had recently! MDA is good but he is not a great coach, unlike the Spurs and Popovich! I REALLY dislike the Spurs but I love the way Pop coach his team. HE KNOWS HOW TO MAXIMIZE HIS ROSTER. Pop gives the 11th and 12th man on their roster playing time during the course of the season.

What I don't understand about the past three Rocket's coaches are, why they stick with their 9 man rotation, when it's visible the players; A) need rest B) in a slump or C) injured. For the past 2 to 3 weeks, it's been clear that Gordon has been injured or in a slump, same for Anderson and Dekker. And Brewer has been in a slump all season!

With that being said, why not give KJ, Wiltzer or B.Brown some minutes?? Popovich does this all the time!!! It gives your bench players a chance to play, they get a chance to work on their game/skills. YOU CAN'T GET BETTER SETTING ON THE BENCH. In addition, it builds competition and comradery. Plus, we haven't lost any ground in the standings, so the past few weeks would have been beneficial to the roster!

This is why you don't hear of Spur's players sending out message about playing time, this is why you don't see them having situations like The Rockets had last year. You can't vault the players for wanting to play, this is their careers! They see the money that's available! DAMNIT, IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PLAY PLAYERS, WHY ARE THEY ON THE ROSTER?? MDA NEEDS TO EXPAND HIS ROSTER DURING THE SEASON.

Maybe this is why he's good during the season but has never won a NBA Championship

7. 713KLP

713KLP Member

If KJ was playing the 15 minutes Brewer is averaging right now, we would have a tradeable asset. But MDA stuck with the older, inferior player because he tries harder and is less prone to make mistakes, in theory.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. threepointshot3

The only explanation I can think of regarding Brewer over KJ is that KJ must be terrible in practise or has a horrible attitude because I see no reason why Brewer gets minutes infront of him. Honestly Brewer would struggle in the D league and has no business being on a NBA roster let alone playing meaningful minutes.

9. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

James Harden has played 1,933 minutes so far this season, almost 100 minutes higher than the next guy (Kyle Lowry). He has not missed one game. We've had a lot of blowouts where Harden should have been resting.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/minutes/sort/minutes

Ariza is THIRD. He is not a young guy anymore. Seriously man this guy needs rest more than anyone. Pop rests his players. All of his starters have missed several games. Ariza and Harden are key pieces man. Harden is still young, but Ariza should take a game off here and there. Resting Harden means the rest of the team will have to learn how to score and play without him which will help us in the long run.

Hakeemtheking and DonKnock like this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Coach reasoning

KJ isn't a good 3 pt shooter < COREY BREWER FOR 3!!! CAREER 28% WOW
    KJ legit on ball man defense and shot blocking ability < COREY BREWER DOESN'T MISS ROTATIONS WOW
    KJ above average athleticism in the most athletic league in the world < COREY BREWER HUSTLES WOW
    KJ plays above the rim, finishes < COREY BREWER FASTBREAK WOW
    KJ younger, cheaper < COREY BREWER, CHAMPION WOW
    KJ begging for playing time < COREY BREWER ****ING UP LIKE ALMOST EVERY TIME HE'S INVOLVED IN A PLAY WOW

Rockets struggling with grueling schedule, tired legs and declining veteran/free agent play < COREY BREWER WOW

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think he deserves playing time too, but right now the big man rotation isn't a problem, it's the wings.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Every non-Harden thing is an issue right now. I'd like to see them play one of the key pieces of their hugely successful stretch. It seems so simple.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

BREAKING NEWS!

Guy who never plays wants to play.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

When we started our amazing stretch, he only sniffed time when Nene was resting. He only started playing after the Capela injury which I believe occurred in the last win of our first 9 game streak. He is an awful defensive player all around and a poor rebounder. He wasn't playing much during our best defensive stretch.

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Why can't Brewer go to Europe:(

Let him be the new Marbury:(

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

something to note. KJ has hardly ever played with harden. catches like 1-2 easy lobs a game when he does.

17. Rocketeer4Life

I agree KJ has been as sloppy as Brewer with the limited minutes he gets this season. But most people are willing to give him a chance instead of Brewer. I mean how much worst can it get if he will be replacing Brewer for a few games.. What have you got to lose?
    DAntoni is definitely a risk averse coach.

#57 Rocketeer4Life, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  18. Zergling

Zergling Member

I also can't believe they limited Dekker's minutes after he exploded in his first career start @ Memphis.

Also, the analytics say Nene > Capela in terms of on/off and RPM numbers, and it's not that close. Unfortunately there seems to be correlation with the Rockets struggling and Capela returning from his injury.

[​IMG]

J Sizzle likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. I'm very pro-Capela, but he's going through a rough stretch, no doubt.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Doubtful.

He'd probably welcome a trade to a team where he could play.