1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYC Rockets fans meet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Oct 27, 2003.

1. munco

munco Member

Hey guys,

I know there are a good deal of Clutch City members living in NYC. Who's down to meet up at a bar for the first game on Thursday night? So far, it seems that somewhere on the east side is the favored location.

There's a yahoo group I started to coordinate:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/houstonrocketsnyc/

We have about 20 people signed up so far. In any case, I hope that we can make this a reality as I think it'll be a testament to the Rockets, clutchcity.net and its fans to have an organized group of Rockets fans miles away showing their support. Thanks!

2. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Great idea. I'm on the west side where the bars are cheaper...

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

me too- know any bars where the games will be on?

4. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

If anyone's in Williamsburg I'm gonna go to Redd's which is on Grand St and Union Ave. They have a bunch of TVs and they said they'd have it on.

5. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Awsome munco, I was hoping somebody would arrange this someday. I'm definitely signing up.

6. freeflowin'

freeflowin' Member

On the West Side also...

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Make sure to write down your escape plans on the napkin ;)

8. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Who's the most popular bbs member who lives in new york? remember I am in the running.:D

9. munco

munco Member

Right now we have:
    Redds in Williamsburg
    the Westside
    the Eastside

Basically, we have determined that we're going to meet anywhere in NY except Queens. How about some specific bars or at least specific areas on the Westside or Eastside? I'm cool with Williamsburg, but I wonder how many people would want it there. I definitely think it would be best to have one central location though. The idea of having a bunch of Rockets fans invading a bar in NYC is pretty cool.

10. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

In my opinion, the place to go is the Riviera on 7th Ave, just north of Christopher. They have a million TVs, and if you show up regularly the bartender will give you a serious hook-up.

Pretty much every train passes nearby, too, which is another plus.

11. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

There are bars in NY that play rocket games?
    :( should i know, since i live in NY?

12. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

A lot of the sports bars have NBA League Pass, you just have to ask them to turn it to the Rockets game.

There's a place called Blondies on W.79th and Broadway that I know has league pass and great buffalo wings.

13. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

that would be awsome...but too bad im underage :(

14. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

I wont be able to make it to the 1st game cause my parents are coming in from a visit from LA, but Id love to hook up with you guys later in theseason..Who knows..once i get to know a couple of you gusy we may be able to watch some games on my league pass at my house. :D

15. munco

munco Member

Summary of suggestions by the Rockets fans in NYC:

Blondies
    - W.79th and Broadway
    - league pass and great buffalo wings.

Joshua Tree
    -513 3rd Ave and 33rd St.

Riviera
    -7th Ave, just north of Christopher
    -a million TVs, and if you show up regularly the bartender will give you a serious hook-up.

Redds
    -in Williamsburg
    -Grand St. and Union Ave

Feel free to add any suggestions and then we can vote on Tues. or Wed. We still have some time.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My two cents:

Barrow Street Alehouse on W.4th and Barrow is usually my favorite place to watch games. Lots of TV's, mounted where you can see them, cheap beers, good wings, cute waitresses, and usually not all that crowded.

17. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Munco, you the man. I had been hoping someone would set something like this up, and I've been too swamped with work and school to do it myself. Thanks.

I already have plans to watch the first game with a friend of mine in Jersery---he's a Nuggets fan and it might go to blows. So I'm out on Thursday. In the future, though, I'm always up for a Rockets-watching gathering, especially games that are NOT televised nationally. These are the ones that I can more easily justify forking over the five-bucks-a-beer at a sports bar.

Blondie's is a good choice. There's also a newer Blondies on the east side: 92nd street, between 2nd and 3rd ave. They have to levels--league pass, good wings, and the place is huge.

Also, Ship of Fools on the east side is terrific. Last year I watched a dozen or so Rockets games there. They'll always show the Rox game. It's at 82nd and 2nd Ave.

For future games, my vote is somewhere in UES or UWS, but I'm willing to travel anywhere. Sorry I can't make it for Thursday, but I look forward to meeting everyone in the future!

18. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

This might be a tad ambitious, but if we ever found a NY Rockets bar that we were really loyal to, what if we could try and make it the "official" New York sports bar for the Houston Rockets?

This sounds far-fetched, I know. But think about it. The Green Bay Packers have a crazy following throughout the US, and their website has a ring of officially sponsored "Packer Bars." I know of at least one that is in New York. (Kettle of Fish)

If we could find such a bar (I had Ship of Fools in mind, but I'm sure we could find other options), we would be giving them steady business. And maybe if we could work with someone from the Rockets (Hey Tim!), there's some opportunity for a wee bit of corporate sponsorship. Some Rockets signage, life-size cardboard signs of Yao Ming, I dunno.

The Rockets organization is already trying to market the team so that it has a wide, global, encompassing fan base. They already have a ton of fans in New York, and the Yao Ming influence is only getting larger. This could be a way for the Rockets to generate a good deal of buzz. And, of course, it's a good way for us to drink some partially subsidized drinks and watch the Rockets! (okay, so now I'm really dreaming with the partially subsidized stuff, but you know what I mean).

To quote every cheesy jail-breakout film: "It's crazy, but it just might work . . ."

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

hey guys, I am down for Blondies on the East Side. I saw opening night last year there and even met up with a BBS poster. the managers are really nice( i know a couple of them) and the bartenders/waitresses are H-O-T.

i will not be available thursday either, but from then on, thats where i will be watching non-televised rox games.

its great to finally have cable!

go Rockets!

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Rasselas, that's a cool idea.