1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He's a person, he's just as entitled to a random tweet as the guy on the street. The media making it a bigger deal is what annoys me.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yeah. Who does he think he is btw? President Elect?

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is the problem with our political discourse... McHugh merely corrected an objectively erroneous comment about his home district. It's Buckhead, one of the richer areas of Atlanta. It is not in terrible shape or crime-ridden. And you consider HIM the dumb ass? You can't put aside political ideology long enough to see that McHugh's take isn't partisan and is fairly benign? You're THAT thin-skinned?

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

You won't get a response, at least not an intelligible one.

awc713 likes this.
  6. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Can we
    It is times like these that I wish we could downvote.

7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

McHugh is an extremely intelligent dude. Period. You don't have to like his politics, but odds are he's smarter than most of you!

8. budo09

budo09 Member

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Quick poll: As time goes on, has that reported deal for Quintana (Martes/KTuck/Musgrove) become more or less appealing?

As we hit the dead off the offseason, I'm more thinking "screw it, just make the deal".

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I hate the idea of giving up both Tucker and Martes. I don't think my stance has changed much on that, not that it matters.

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If it's only Martes and Tucker, do it.. do it now. If we get to keep one of Martes or Musgrove do it. If you wouldnt do that I think you are crazy, that is just blind persistence and hope that Martes becomes at least Quintana... And Tucker has to outperform Reddick, Springer, and any available FA 2-3 years from now... I'm good with what we have and bringing Quintana for those 2-3 years of contending.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don't think my stance has changed. I have felt all along that any 3 prospect deal for Quintana that didn't include Bregman would be an acceptable deal for Houston. If they managed to get a deal done without Tucker or Bregman, it would be a clear win for Houston, even if it included 4 or 5 of their best prospects.

I would try like hell to get a deal done without Tucker, but if Chicago simply wouldn't come off of the reported Martes/Tucker/Musgrove asking price, I would probably do it.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

I just don't think we need to make that deal right now. The price will not change. If we really need to acquire that echelon of pitcher, we can make the same exact deal in June and get the same echelon of pitcher.

I'm comfortable going into 2017 with the pieces we have. Our rotation is projected to have the 3rd highest WAR among AL staffs. Could we use a TOR arm? Sure. Who couldn't? Quite frankly, I don't think we need to do deal our only 2 blue chip prospects, today, in order to compete in the AL West and the AL in general.

Patience is key. I understand looking at our depth chart and feeling the need to make a move, but I'd prefer the "wait and see" approach. Moving Martes and Tucker should only be done out of necessity. If our arms are struggling, that type of deal can be made whenever. There's no rush, in my opinion. The price will remain the same.

If Kuechel returns to his 2015 form, if LMJ can piece together a healthy year, if we can continue to get 2.5 WAR from McHugh, and if our young studs can pitch as projected, we very well may not need to move Tucker and Martes (and Musgrove) for Quintana. A lot of ifs, sure, but I just don't think the necessity is there today that forces us to make the deal. Not enough moves in the AL West have been made to force our hand in that manner.

#1933 awc713, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Actually, I'm not thin-skinned at all. I just think it was dumb for him to even bring up the subject to begin with. It has nothing to do with my political views at all.

15. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

See, that's what I was talking about... the media taking it and running with it. That's why I said he was dumb for even bringing it up. As I said above, it has nothing to do with my political views, both candidates were crappy. I just dont think it's good for pro athletes to get into crap like this, it just draws unnecessary attention IMO.

16. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

So because he throws a baseball for his job he can't have an opinion (a positive one at that) about the place he lives?

rmoreno likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Enough with the political ****

You guys are all small handed losers for bringing it up

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

this thread is bigly yuuuuuuuuuuuuge

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I have a little different feel than the others that have posted so far

I'm good giving up Tucker, you have to give up a stud prospect in a deal like this. What I don't want to do is give up both Martes and Musgrove. If they want the guy who is ready now, Musgrove, along with Tucker, i'd do it. If they want Martes and Tucker but not Musgrove, i'm good with that too. I would even add another lower level prospect or two along with Martes and Tucker, if that is what it took

With pitching being the bigger issue right now though, I don't want to move both Martes and Musgrove in a deal for him, not right now anyway. Maybe if we start the season and our pitching is struggling, then might have to pull the trigger. But right now, wouldn't

kaleidosky likes this.
  20. awc713

awc713 Member

#1940 awc713, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017