1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wallace Gets Suspended, What's new?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Band Geek Mobster, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Band Geek Mobster

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0403/1166964.html

Blazers punish ref-hating Wallace

PORTLAND, Ore. – Growing weary of Rasheed Wallace's boorish on-court behavior, the Portland Trail Blazers suspended their All-Star for one game Tuesday, two days after his most recent, record-setting tantrum.

Wallace sat out the Blazers' game at Denver on Tuesday night, the start of a four-game road trip. He was scheduled to play in Wednesday night's game against Minnesota.

Blazers backup point guard Rod Strickland also was suspended for Tuesday night's game, by the league. Strickland was sentenced to 10 days in jail Monday for pleading guilty to a drunken driving charge, stemming from a Jan. 7 arrest when he was a member of the Washington Wizards.

Wallace has been ejected seven times this season, and he was suspended for two games for throwing a towel at referee Gary Benson after he was thrown out of a Feb. 1 victory over Phoenix. But this is the first time the team has suspended him for his actions.

In a statement, the Blazers said Wallace was punished for "inappropriate game conduct" during Portland's loss to the Timberwolves on Sunday.

In that game, Wallace was ejected with 7:29 left in the third quarter. The Blazers rallied without their top scorer, but shot just 4-of-19 in the fourth quarter and lost 99-95.

Wallace was tossed for arguing with officials that he had been fouled by LaPhonso Ellis on a fast break. He was issued two technical fouls, resulting in an automatic ejection. Wallace has 40 technicals, surpassing his own NBA record of 38 set last season.

Portland has lost the last three games in which Wallace has been ejected.

Wallace, who made the West All-Star team for the second straight season as a reserve, is having his best season statistically, averaging 19.4 points and 7.9 rebounds. His .506 field-goal percentage is third-best in the league.

The Blazers have repeatedly supported Wallace, saying his temper is a result of his intense desire to win. The team also has emphasized his work in the community and the fact that he has no criminal record.

Coach Mike Dunleavy even backed him after Sunday's loss, saying Wallace's reputation among officials contributed to the ejection.

"Maybe another guy doesn't get thrown out for the same thing," the coach said.

Strickland pleaded guilty to driving under the influence of alcohol Monday in federal court in Alexandria, Va. In addition to the jail term -- which Strickland will serve after the season -- U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry Poretz placed him on supervised probation for two years and ordered him to attend substance abuse counseling. The player also was fined about $1,000.

Strickland was waived by the Wizards on March 1, and the Blazers signed him four days later. As the backup to Damon Stoudamire, Strickland has averaged 5.9 points and 4.1 assists in 13 games. But his presence appears to have further clogged an already crowded playing rotation. The Blazers are just 5-8 since he arrived, and Stoudamire has fallen into a serious slump, averaging 4.4 points on 29 percent shooting his last five games.

Nice "team" they have in Portland. I've seen Wallace do interviews before and he seemed nice during the interviews that I saw. I wonder how he could lose it like he does during a game and not even take into account that he's hurting his team by getting T-ed up.

------------------
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car."

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 04, 2001).]

2. Timing

Timing Member

At least Portland is finally trying to do something with him. It took 78 techs in less than 2 seasons for his team to suspend him for a game? LMAO A really great situation in Portland. And they thought they had it rough with Isiah Rider!

------------------
    "You have to think optimistic. I think it's never over till it's over." - Clyde Drexler after losing at home to go down 3-1 to the Suns in '95

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

4. jamma34

jamma34 Member

portland has so many pieces, i dont know why they are so dependent on rasheed.
    they shoulda just benched hi a long time ago until he straightened out.
    start dale davis, give him some major minutes. bring in kemp.
    i know he hasnt done it in a while, but make damon or steve smith the go-to guy. they did it before for other teams, let them do it here.

------------------
    president of the sleepy floyd to hall of fame club.

http://www.it-is-truth.org