1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston vs. TCU

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Summit, Oct 24, 2003.

1. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Anyone going? Should be a great game, it was the Chronicle game of the week. Lee Corso just picked the Cougars for the upset on Sportscenter. Hopefully the Coogs can bounce back from last week and make it 6-2 and get bowl eljible.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

GO COOGS!!!

I was there last week and I can't believe it was 28 - 0 Memphis after the first quarter...

I'm out of town, but would encourage anyone in Houston to go to the game...It is a great atmosphere and cheap (Kids are discounted if you buy at stadium starting an 1:30 half before the game)...

This by far will be a great game...I believe last week was a fluke and the Coogs will be ready...I know TCU will be ready as they feel jilted for being 15 on the BCS...

Coogs 35
    TCU 31

GO COOGS!!!

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What is the time of it for us out of towners? And did ESPN pick it up.

4. The Summit

The game is at 7, and its on PPV, ESPN Gameplan. I think its $14.99 and you get the whole days worth of games (including U.H. - TCU).

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You can watch it for free on ESPNnow if you get that channel too.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'll be there.

Rain or shine.

Mostly rain, though.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

What a freakin' game !

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who won?

DD

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Best game I've ever seen. Despite coming up short.

55-62 TCU

That game was exciting right down the very end. I've never had so much fun.

The officiating was probably the worst I've ever seen though, TCU got GAMEBREAKING calls ALL GAME LONG.

We didn't lose, we just ran out of time. :cool:

p.s. is this a school record for points scored in a game?

10. The Summit

No its not a school record, U.H. beat SMU 96-21 in 1989 when they were #3 in the nation. It was a great game, and yes, the refs were absolutley horrible, there were 2 game breaking calls that I recall that were atrocious. When TCU fumbled on the 2 yard line and U.H. ran it back for a touchdown, no whistle was blown and the ball was clearly fumbled but the refs called it back. And the other was in the 4th quarter when TCU faced a 3rd and 20 and the reciever clearly didnt make the catch, the ball hit the ground, but the ref said it was complete. Nevertheless, great game, nice performance by the Coogs facing the #13 team in the land. How about Kevin Kolb: 17-36, 435 Yds, 4 TD's, and 148 Yds Rushing

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Actually yes it is a school record.

96 + 21 = 117

55 + 62 = 117

Tied for most points in a U of H game.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Frogs require full arsenal to clip UH 62-55

By JERRY WIZIG
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

In a game with 1,466 yards of offense and superb individual performances, TCU defensive end Bo Schobel came up with perhaps the biggest play of the night, recovering Houston's onside kick with 79 seconds left in a nearly four-hour long offensive extravaganza Saturday night at Robertson Stadium.

No. 15 TCU remained unbeaten by outlasting Houston 62-55 as the Horned Frogs began a season 8-0 for the first time since 1938 and joined Oklahoma and Miami as the only undefeated teams left in major college football.

Brandon Hassell again stepped in for injured quarterback Tye Gunn, who did not suit up, and passed and handed off to a bevy of TCU receivers and runners as the Frogs extended their winning streak to nine in a row dating to last year. Hassell passed for four TDs and 375 yards to complement a ground game led by Robert Merrill (22 carries for 204 yards) and Lonta Hobbs (22 for 102 yards).

The Frogs are 5-0 in Conference USA after handing the Cougars (5-3, 2-2) a painful defeat following UH's 45-14 loss to Memphis a week earlier.

UH's freshman quarterback Kevin Kolb passed and ran for 578 yards, showing quick feet that the Horned Frogs perhaps did not expect while leading Cougars runners with 144 yards and one TD on 14 carries and passing for four TDs and 434 yards on 17-of-36 accuracy with no interceptions. The biggest chunks of that yardage went to senior receiver Brandon Middleton, who gained 232 yards on six catches, including TD strikes of 55 and 48 yards.

"I'm an emotional person, and every loss is painful," Middleton said.

Said Kolb: "I still have a long way to go. I wasn't flawless tonight. We had our chances. There were four fumbles we got our hands on but didn't recover."

TCU receiver Cory Rodgers, a redshirt freshman from Hightower, accounted for three scores and 231 yards receiving, rushing and returning kickoffs and punts.

By the time the frantic first half ended with the Frogs leading 28-24, the teams had hung up 709 yards total offense with Rodgers scoring on pass plays covering 48 and 60 yards to go with a one-yard run.

The Cougars fell behind 21-3 in the first quarter, then ignited for three TDs in the second quarter after what first seemed to be a replay of the previous week's 48-14 loss to Memphis.

Rodgers maneuvered down the right sideline for his first TD after a defender went for the interception and failed to reach the ball.

Dustin Bell's 23-yard field goal got the Cougars on the board after they first lined up to go for fourth-and-four at the TCU six.

Rodgers quickly ended the Frogs' 80-yard drive with the ensuing kickoff. After two straight third-down conversions Brandon Hassell threw a short pass of the middle to Rodgers, and the former high school quarterback cut off a block and rocketed the final 60 yards.

Hassell ended TCU's next series with a six yard TD pass to Reggie Harrell after the Cougars contributed two 15-yard personal foul penalties in the 77-yard drive to a 21-3 lead. UH covered 78 yards on its next series but Shang Moore's pass off a reverse aimed for a double-covered Middleton was picked off in the end zone by Jeremy Modkins.

UH's defense finally halted the Frogs and Kolb's 52-yard strike to Middleton closed the gap to 21-10.

Rodgers short scoring lunge concluded TCU's 80-yard drive that included runs of 27 and 16 yards to a 28-10 lead for the Frogs.

Kolb then turned runner, gaining 32 and the final 14 yards for a TD after his 14 yard pass to Jackie Battle produced a first down to keep the drive going as the Cougars closed within 27-18. The Frogs again went three and out, and Kolb to Middleton paid off again with Middleton sprinting all alone down the left side and it was a 28-24 TCU lead.

Robert Merrill's four-yard run through the left side ended TCU's scoring drive with the second-half kickoff after Lonta Hobbs' 19-yard run and a 20-yard pass to Rodgers.

Bell's 35-yard field goal took UH within 35-27 and the Cougars scored in 58 seconds the next time they got the ball, via Jackie Battle's 10 yard TD through the left side to end a four play, 62-yard series. Kolb's attempted two-point conversion pass was broken up by Mark Walker, leaving the Frogs up 42-33. Freshman linebacker Wade Koehl broke up a third-down pass in the end zone, and the Frogs went for Nick Browne's 19-yard field goal.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

AWESOME GAME!!! We should have won...but the halfback pass intercepted in the endzone came to haunt us...

I picked it up on ESPN plus...After the first quarter, I thought it was going to be like Memphis last week...But Kolb is the man...

Did you guys see that catch by Middleton in the 2nd quarter...Best catch ever...

HOUSTON (AP) - Brandon Hassell threw for 375 yards and four touchdowns as No. 15 TCU outscored Houston 62-55 on Saturday night to remain undefeated despite allowing 684 yards.

The Horned Frogs (8-0, 5-0 Conference USA), who join top-ranked Oklahoma and No. 2 Miami as the only Division I-A teams to emerge from the weekend unbeaten, couldn't shake resurgent Houston (5-2, 2-2) despite setting a school record with 782 yards.

Each side alternated scoring on the first seven possessions of the second half, with TCU taking a 52-40 lead early in the fourth quarter on a 2-yard run by Kenny Hayter.

The Frogs finally got some breathing room when Kevin Kolb, who was 17-of-36 for 434 yards and four touchdowns, fumbled to start a drive and Bo Schobel recovered for TCU. Hassell made the Cougars pay on the next play, finding Quentily Harmon for a 20-yard scoring pass and a 59-40 lead.

The Cougars made a late push when Vincent Marshall ran a lateral 36 yards down the right sideline and Jackie Battle punched in the 2-point conversion with 1:22 left. TCU bobbled the ensuing onside kick but recovered at the bottom of a pile on the wet field, and the offense ran out the clock.

TCU's output surpassed the previous team record of 736 the Frogs put up at the Astrodome in 1990 during a 56-35 loss to Houston. That also had been the most yardage Houston had given up until Saturday.

The victory kept alive TCU's remote chance to get a major bowl bid coming out of Conference USA. No. 12 Northern Illinois, the only other unbeaten heading into the day, lost 34-18 to No. 23 Bowling Green.

TCU's Robert Merrill rushed for 166 yards and a touchdown, Lonta Hobbs had 102 yards and a score and Cory Rodgers caught six passes for 171 yards and two touchdowns and added a 1-yard TD run. Hassell, who was 17-for-27, also ran for 66 yards.

For Houston, Kolb had 144 yards rushing and a touchdown, Brandon Middleton had six catches for 232 yards and two touchdowns and Marshall added five receptions for 106 yards and a score.

The Frogs shot to a 21-3 first-quarter lead, highlighted by Hassell-to-Rodgers scoring connections of 48 and 60 yards and a juggling catch by Reggie Harrell in the end zone.

But Kolb, a freshman whose numbers all were career highs, kept Houston alive and his 48-yard scoring pass play to an uncovered Middleton down the left side late in the second quarter cut TCU's lead to 28-24 at halftime.

15. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

The Coog D is an absolute joke. The wins they have were in spite of the D's ablitly to play.

2 or 3 of the games they won were nearly losses due to the D giving up a ton of points in the second half.

I ususally pull for the local or in state guys and UH is a program I hope can turn it around. The UH fans need to realize the team has a long way to go, but if they can keep one or two big names here in Houston each year in 3-4 years they can have a good roster and be where TCU is now.

Good luck Coogs and Coog fans!

ps-

PLEASE DO NOT TURN INTO fans like all the Tech fans. Talking their crap "we don't get any respect..." "...BJ for Heisman..." "...BJ is the best player in football..." Be realistic!

UH has some potential in time, unfortunately C-USA does not have a BCS tie in and the schedule rarely will be good enough to push them up in the polls.

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

And dont be like UT fans and say your going to beat somebody that is simply hands down the better team.. cough ..University of Oklahoma

;) ;)

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ALRIGHT! TCU is still undefeated!!! :D

Although, they are barely winning their games. Injuries are killing the Horned Frogs this season, thankgoodness the rest of the Conference sucks this year.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

according to the score board, we're only 7 points away from being where TCU is now. ;)

(not counting those two completely blown/bogus calls documented by Summit, of course)

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

oops... I goofed the first statistic.

95 + 21 = 116

This game was a school record after all.

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think Mizzou took care of the BJ for Heisman campaign.