1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Although I highly dislike the player, and it wouldn't be for long term, I think getting Bogut gives us the best chance to sure up our bigs and go for a championship this year. Cuban has nothing left to offer Bogut but an opportunity to play for a championship again this year hopefully by trading him to the Rockets for salary filler and a 2nd round pick. Brewer and KJ plus a second round pick would be a deal I think could work.

Then, that puts someone out of our rotation at center since Bogut would get minutes no matter what. I don't think Harrell's shot is ready to play PF in our offense, but unfortunately Nene's contract has more money on it....so while it would be highly unfortunate and disliked by many, Morey would probably have to move Nene as well in another deal.

With Brewer and KJ and a second gone, I could see us moving Nene plus Ennis and a first or another 2nd for a backup combo guard, or a combo SF/PF...but with only being able to bring in about 7 to 9 million by adding additional salary fillers, it really starts to limit who we could get.

But going after guys like N. Young/L.Williams on the Lakers, Holiday/Evan on the Pelicans, Barton on the Nuggets or Barbosa from the Suns, we would have a deep enough roster to truly compete from the CHIP this year, and still have some flexibility to make moves this off season if it didn't all end with a TROPHY.

This may be the hardest trade deadline in Morey's career to make moves. Go all in to win it this year, or save for hopefully building a stronger team next year? Even if you build a stronger team next year, you never know what other teams will do, what injuries you could have, etc., etc., etc. So I say when you are close, go all in this year and let the chips fall where they may!

ramotadab and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Appreciate it. Hopefully they get better. One of the challenges in this one -- I didn't get to all the questions I wanted to (i.e. nothing on Llull), because a couple of my early ?s were a bit too wordy and took up too much time. It's a thin line to walk. I wanted the questions to have specific context to avoid standard canned responses... but I don't want to say TOO much, either, for logistics reasons. My hope is that assuming I'm able to get Daryl to keep coming on, it'll get into more of a natural rhythm.

ramotadab, malakas, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You'll get more comfortable with your questions as you do more interviews, but just the content itself was better. It's so obvious you are genuinely interested in what you are asking about and not just reading from someone else's show prep notes. As a diehard fan I really enjoy your podcast. I just got into podcasts but have flagged yours for daily listening.

BigMaloe, FANfrom86toNow and The Cat like this.
  4. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I feel like I have the same mindset as Morey as the trading deadline approaches. per your podcast. Going after depth. 3rd string or perhaps 2nd string possible upgrade(s). Maybe it's just smoke & mirrors; but his points are good reasons to stand pat. I don't value 2nd round pick(s) as much
    as Morey; but then again all GM's treat draft picks like squirrels stashing nuts away for the
    winter. Sounds like the new CBA is going to put even more value on picks. Thanks Cat

5. justtxyank

I feel the same way about it. Want to point out though that this is how he always approaches the deadline. If he can steal a star for his price he'll do it, otherwise he dumpster dives.

The Cat and Jatman20 like this.
  6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I believe it takes NBA players about 3 yrs to develop. Parsons did well his rookie yr. Harrell/Capela/Dekker
    show a lot of promise after receiving their 1st true playing time.

All GM's think they have the next Larry Bird or Michael Jordan soon to be. They hate to see them traded
    and then they destroy the league while playing elsewhere. They also hate to admit they offered a bad
    contract. See Brewer. I also fear the draft pick....they tend to develop just as their rookie deal
    ends. Like Parsons, on the job training; trained for others to benefit.

7. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Do the Rockets have a TPE to use?

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because of the versatility of their roster, I would target a big. Plus, the back court players are all locked in beyond this year. Nene is gone after this year and they need to solidify that spot. I don't think they need to do anything drastic, but I'd like to see them protect against an injury at any position post-deadline.

#1228 theDude, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Jatman20 likes this.
  9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Excellent answer. You're one smart Dude. We are going to have to change your name to Smart Dude.

ClutchFans Love ya man!

#1229 Jatman20, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  10. justtxyank

I think our biggest need is someone to take Brewer's minutes.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

It was interesting that Morey values a rotation 9-10 deep because Rockets are actually using a 7-8 man rotation recently and have struggled with 2 straight losses in past 3 games.

12. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

How about Jrue Holiday for Brew and KJ? Holiday is an expiring deal. Rockets need a rim protector, but if they aren't going that route then maybe Holiday.

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

No, im not forgetting about Bender. Chriss is better than him.

14. enteradman

enteradman New Member

I would like to see us go for one of Thabo/Lou will and one of Bogut/Koufus. Adding even more scoring/shooting to our bench, and stocking up on big men, which a lot of contending teams have been struggling with.

15. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

The thing is Jrue is playing fantastic basketball. Hell yeah I'd like that deal but I don't think the Pelicans are parting with him unless they get something fantastic in return which KJ and Brewer are simply not. Might be able to sign him in the off-season but I don't think he's the type of PG we are looking for. But who the hell knows what Morey is doing anyways

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really want Barbosa on this team.

elmotsangtt likes this.
  17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Him and another 6'11+ big that is athletic would be nice.

elmotsangtt likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised Gary Neal has never been brought up. Just saw ATL is close to signing him. Would be a decent 4th guard wouldn't he?

Chamillionaire and Jatman20 like this.
  19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

His +/- numbers from last year are hysterically bad, but in theory he could be a decent cheap addition.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Great job Ben. That's a big time interview.

Trading for depth is definitely the takeaway.