1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Oct 20, 2016.

1. waste55

waste55 Member

I feel like Nintendo didn't strike out, but had a foul ball with this. I'm in no rush to get one (however I'm a Wii U owner with a backlog to complete).

The Good:
    • The portability aspect is cool. Though I'm not sure how many people still will want the extra chargers etc routinely when we have cell phones. I have wii u and that still offers a lot of what switch does (play when TV is in use, etc).
    • Rumors of 1080p\60 Zelda (docked). Though still this is on Wii U. I'm sure Switch version may have better graphics (and most hardcore Nintendo fanboys will say graphics don't matter but applaud the switch version having better graphics).
    • Some interesting new titles (SF2, Mario Odyssey).
    The Bad:
    • Price is a little steep vs the competition. Accessories, and certain games seems overpriced and gimmicky.
    • 32GB of on-board storage is an odd choice. Yes it has expansions but those SD cards are not as fast and sometimes go belly up.
    • Launch lineup is a pretty lacking (rumors of more near-term releases hopefully come true). Talking like having Skyrim is big news...
    The Ugly
    • The rumors of the paid online services. I applauded Nintendo for being the last console with free MP online but I guess that is coming to an end. I'm just extremely cautious knowing Nintendo's history of mediocre online services.
    • They could have implemented something unique with the NES\SNES games they have access to. Instead of this 1-2 games per month (that can only be played that month!) they could have given us the "Netflix of NES\SNES titles" which I think people would pay monthly for.
    • The rumors of voice chat being handled solely by smart device. With a paid service I find this unacceptable. As of today there is no information that gives me a reason to not just use Discord for free. Now voice chat cannot be mixed in with game audio unlike the competition.

All in all I'm kinda bummed. I'm rooting for Nintendo, I really am. I have more Wii U games than xbox games (though I'm PC at heart). But unless there are massive reasons to play Zelda on Switch over Wii U I'll just wait til the lineup gets better and the console can be found second hand.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Serious question: has no one else in this thread played Monster Hunter?

I get that not everyone is going to get excited over Xenoblade 2 (even though it's as much a system-seller to me as anything). Not everyone is going to like 100-hour JRPGs.

But Monster Hunter is such a supremely perfect action game series, which can easily be played a half-hour at a time. I get that only being on Nintendo platforms is limiting, but nonetheless I'm surprised more people with WiiU's didn't at least give Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate a chance, for example.

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

haven't read much about it. i recently got a 3ds...monster hunter is talked up quite a bit as being one of the best games for the 3ds.

4. opticon

opticon Member

Figured I would throw in my two cents.
    I have an 8 year old son who loves, Mario, Kirby and splatoon.

As a parent I love that I can let him play splatoon online and I don't have to worry about crazy people of all ages on voice chat.

Being able to play on the go is huge as well, even if it is only for a few hours.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

2 games makes great third party support? Come on meow.

6. Drexlerfan22

It certainly is in my book. It's primarily a 3DS series, I only brought up MH3U because it was also on WiiU, and I've seen more people on this board comment that they have WiiU's than 3DS's.

If you're even slightly interested, I would start with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Pretty good jumping-off point. You just have to remember to be a little patient in the beginning, because they start you off with "gathering" quests (literally like "go pick 10 mushrooms") as a sort of quasi-tutorial. You also want to play all the weapon tutorials right away, since they're all so different that switching weapons is almost like playing a different game. And finally, be aware that there's no Souls-style lock-on camera, and that's very much necessary and by design, as every monster has a number of different hit zones that take vastly different amounts of damage.

Once you get used to the quirks and get to fighting the tougher monsters, it's impossible to put down. I've sunk about 320 hours into the latest entry, and I'm not done yet. I don't think I've ever put less than 200 hours into a Monster Hunter game.

He was only pointing out that your remark that they would have "great first party games, and that's it" was seemed unlikely to be true. And here, you respond by immediately setting up a straw man ("great third party support") to knock down, when all he ever did was point out there was some.

No need to be so argumentative, dude. We're all game-lovers here.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Not throwing my money away on another Nintendo product ever again.

8. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

MH is too much of a grind fest for rare equipment towards the end (especially since drops are random, which is infuriating). Don't know if they've improved that since the PSP versions (I doubt it).

9. Drexlerfan22

Well, yes and no.

First, the grind for good equipment is kind of a "feature," in that it keeps up your motivation to keep playing in endgame. But you can earn tickets to trade for super-rare parts on occasion, and in the latest entry they've also made a lot of stages of item forging "X# [insert monster here] parts", so that you can just use a bunch of common parts, or a few rare parts... whatever it is you have.

You can get most end-game equipment pretty quickly in Monster Hunter Generations... only exception is "Deviant" monster weapons, which are intentionally-grindy endgame quest-strings.

The games have also gotten a lot easier since the PSP versions. Which some people hate, but it makes them more beginner-friendly which the series could really use. It's still harder than Dark Souls, IMO, so it's plenty hard.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The launch lineup should be extremely telling...
    4 games?

But people will shell out the money because Mario, Link, Pokemon drive console sales.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

i would pay money for a good set of mario games

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

looks like these are avail for pre order quite a bit...been looking at instocknow past few days periods where everything is out of stock but they seem to be back in stock quite often. thats good.

still debating if i'm gonna splurge one one. if they made an open world mario game, like a WOW type game but with mario characters...oh man. i'd be all over this.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I really don't understand why Nintendo is trying to play this game with limited supply.

I understand the basic concept of limiting supply to create demand, but Nintendo desperately needs to gain a share of the market. If the system and games are good, the demand will be there regardless. If the system tanks the opening, then many are just gonna hold out on buying something they might have bought at launch. I just don't see an upside to this strategy given their precarious position in the game console market.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It isn't competing with other consoles.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a Nintendo guy from literally day one of Nintendo, I have been incredibly disappointed in the direction post N64.

From Golden Eye and original Zelda/Mario games to constant crappy revamps, lesser console power and a lack of strong game lineups.

The indie scene on Steam/PS4/XB has far more originality. Crossing my fingers for the switch.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

If you are still looking for a pre-order, you can pre-order IN STORE at Wal-Marts in limited supplies. They require 10% down and will guarantee pick up on release day. Call around to see which stores have them still if you can't find any pre-orders online.

I was able to get the last one at the 249 location today.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with this and would point mainly to the lesser console specs as a key issue. Because I like their efforts for creativity otherwise.

I mean the Wii Ungames that are good are still incredibly fun. And it's still an amazing console for young families. My 5 and 7 year olds both play. Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Yoshi, Rayman, Donkey Kong, Zelda among others. These are great games that speak to a style and originality that you just don't get on other consoles. A Japanese fun quirkiness.

With better consoles I think there'd be more third party awesome unique games.

We'll definitely upgrade to the Switch, but no rush.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Don't really understand why Zelda is the only "it" title at release. The console won't sell itself, magically.

When the Wii came out, there was nothing like it on the market. Motion controls + controller being a remote = gimmick that worked. Wii U never really fully explored the potential of the gamepad.

And now the Switch is releasing in an era where tablets are a dime a dozen. And apparently, the specs aren't even that great. Those that are looking to buy a Switch JUST for Breath of the Wild can do so on their Wii U.

I mean, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to drop 300 on the Switch now, when a lot of the games come out later. Plus, during the holiday season, there could be a price drop for the Switch, AND Mario comes out for it.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

probably already asked, but will all games available on Nintendo switch be available on wii u? my general opinion is i hate the direction nintendo is going with remote controllers. I miss the clever designs of N64 or gamecube. These big box with video screen don't feel right.

#160 tallanvor, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017