1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does this team blow a lead every single game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRedemption, Jan 13, 2017.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Because the defense is weak

AF

2. Nivos

Nivos Member

Because of the 3 game.
    It's not just us its all over the leauge. We're doing it to other teams as well.
    3 possessions of stops in defense can translate into 15 points. That's how the game is played right now.
    We just need to focus in getting stops when the ball isn't falling down.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If she's legal it would great.

4. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

If morey has money, morey can think about to buy zach

5. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

If howard stays, it becomes champion. We dont need to afriad memphis

6. Nivos

Nivos Member

Oh my god that was the most horrific thing I've heard in a long time. It was so bad I couldn't stop just waiting for the punch line. Or just waiting for someone to punch her.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL so basically the team got 3rd seed when you expected 4rth seed but they're still trash blowing leads left and right? I'm not really singling you out but it's pretty ridiculous the way people always get triggered when the Rockets lose a game against a team that's a bad matchup for them like it's the most surprising thing in the world. It's like your kid who was always average came from school one day and said he had the 3rd highest grade in his batch for the sem and then instead of celebrating you start b****ing and moaning why he isn't the first.

If the opponent were the Hornets or the Mavs or 76ers or whatever trash team then maybe you have a point. Losing to the MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES by 5 pts isn't a big deal, they're our worst matchup. In fact this is a vast improvement to the previous game because we lost that one by 8 pts and didn't have a 15 pt lead anytime in the game. We shot like 25% in the 3rd quarter, couldn't buy a bucket yet still lose by only 5 pts. So basically to put the Rox away against our worst matchup the Rox need to shoot totally below their average, and the Grizzi didn't even shut the Rox down we got off a lot of great looks the buckets just weren't going tonight.

Is it too much to ask for some rationality in this board? We're 3rd seed in the West and yet some dude created a thread about us always blowing 15 pt leads every game? Really? Do other teams win by 100 pts every game? WTF people? How do you lose only 9 games halfway into the season if blow 15 pt leads every game? This is even more ridiculous considering we don't have our starting center and are starting someone undersized against the best traditional center in the NBA. The Rox were never gonna be title contenders this season barring a major trade due to lack of talent. Y'all are putting up oversized expectations then blowing up when the Rox inevitably don't meet them.

It doesn't take a genius to know we're a one trick pony right now, what do you expect when you have just 1.75 superstars in Harden and Gordon? At least we're a pretty lethal one trick pony, once we get our 2nd star we're good to go.

dmoneybangbang and SWTsig like this.
  8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

1- turnovers
    2- lapses on defense
    3- Corey Brewer

9. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Love Yao but he couldn't thrive in today's NBA. The young fast athletic 3pt shooting bigs and small ball would keep him off the court. If that could work let's go get Boban Marjanovic and call it a day.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Every single game? Really?

THIS IS FAKE NEWS!

I think the Rockets have done very well holding on to leads this year.

hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  11. Ndz

Ndz Member

It's not really that big of a deal. This team is a heavily offence skewed team, so when the shots aren't falling, opponents come back. I'm surprised we're doing this well tbh, feels good knowing that there are still obvious holes that can be improved on

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I swear it's like some of you have never watched an NBA game before.

13. Wylo

Wylo Member

I don't like the body language of Harden the past few games. Where's the energy? He seems lazier than usual

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The energy has been reserved for that tranny looking broad. I'm sure she is enjoying Harden's body language and deep pockets

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I just had a thought; it seems like our turnover rate goes up a lot when we have a lead, versus when we're playing from behind.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to check that.

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

This one is simple. I was a secondary Nets fan when they were in New Jersey. During the Kidd days, the Boston Celtics were that era's 3-ball team with Walker and Pierce leading the way. They were good when they made shots, but they often blew leads. A 15-point lead by them was not threatening. Hitting 3 or 4 threes in a row will not happen all game. Anyone that plays knows that if you hit a string of threes in a row, you will keep shooting. It's contagious. Problem is, if you're not hitting at a high clip, you'll give the opponent extra possessions to get back in.

This applies to all perimeter-oriented teams. Shooting threes can get you a 15 point lead in a matter of a minute. Opponents get out of their game plan to shoot their way back in and don't make those shots. Then the lead grows even more. As soon as the shots stop falling for the good guys due to fatigue or whatever, opponents start to chip away with easy 2's because of the letup on defense.

I would play the 3-ball game plan, but when we get a 12 point lead, I'd play the paint game. Attack the paint. Play defense. No more plays with a 3-pointer as the primary shot. Cuts, post, pick and roll. No flare screens. The primary objective should be a layup when up by 12 or more. Shooting that amount of threes will get you a lead in a hurry, but you will also lose a lead just as fast.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

^^ Good points made by Clutch Citizen. I think Golden State does a good job balancing Curry's ballerina shots with paint passes.

Also, it seems that when Memphis feels forced into a shooting match with us, their bench suddenly becomes the Harlem Globetrotters. Ennis was on fire for spurts. Carter goes bonkers (not so much last night). Zach Randolph made a running one-handed rope-a-dope shot in the final minutes.

That team just gets up to play Houston.

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

One thing and one thing only. Piss poor defense. Missed shots can only be the excuse for so long. Despite their record, until the Rockets take defense seriously, no team in the NBA will take them seriously. If they are to ever be a legit playoff threat, they will have to play some legit defense. Giving up 107+ per game isn't going to get them very far.

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think Rockets fans have been asking this question for the past decade.

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have no true center who is a rebounding force. When your point guard is your top rebounder you have a problem. When James has to do everything you have a problem. Guys simply need to put more effort into defense and hustle.