1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the neighbor's dog will not stop barking

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Jan 8, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is an amazing thought, and the in depth exploration of such a random solution deserves much respect and credit.

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do what that guy in Beethoven did.

Rip shirt, fake blood and scream

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I came for a Seinfeld reference. Did not leave disappointed.

4. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

This^^^

Make friends with the dog if you can. Ask the neighbor if you can meet; it might take some time but you want the dog to accept you. If the dog knows you well and accepts you it won't bark at you. However, this won't stop it from barking at other people. At least you will have some peace when you go outside.

body slam likes this.
  5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i know neighbors should be neighborly.

not sure if you were joking when you mentioned this but i had a similar situation.

next door neighbor had been letting the dog out around 6ish in the afternoon everyday. it's a medium-sized dog with the worst kind of bark that shrills and it barks at everything... cars, walkers (i live in a very walk friendly area), trees, other dogs, etc). sometimes i like to take a nap after work, but it's still mid day so just brushed it off as her not having to adhere to my schedule.

one day she let it out at 6am while we were still sleeping. it barked for pretty much an hour until we went to ask her if everything was ok because we were awoken by her dog barking for so long. she got the point and we didn't hear anything for a month. we went to petsmart that same day and got her a $30 gift card along with a card saying that we enjoyed having her as a neighbor to not show hard feelings.

fast forward a month later and the dog was barking again after getting home for work, but it was for a couple of hours nonstop. it became a daily thing. we just got irritated. i just put one of those full size jamboxes by the window and played "bad and boujee" (and they're not the "bad and boujee" listening type) at the highest possible volume on loop for 20 minutes.

haven't heard anything since.

if you can't handle the responsibility of having a dog, then don't have one. don't put your neighbors in the awkward position of trying to bring up nicely an issue that shouldn't be an issue to begin with.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  6. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I had this problem when I was in college and it bothered me when I was studying sometimes. The dog was being neglected and tied up in the backyard all day. The owners are lazy and just do the minimum by leaving the food bowl full. It still barks anytime I am in by backyard. When it was younger it barked all day non-stop.

I had several thoughts of constantly letting it out in the middle of the night so that it could get lost before they tied it down in the backyard because it kept getting out. The owner came to my house to get it out of my backyard once.

Some people just aren't responsible enough to own a dog. Take it for a walk 1-2x daily. Get it another dog to play with.

body slam likes this.
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm skeptical this will even work because of the separation with the fence. Has anyone ever seen this work? I guess it's possible but I would assume the dog would be in attack bark mode and only stop once it recognized the person...which may not be until the person approaches the dog at the fence to identify.

Identify Logan Six

Dog: There is Nooooooooooooo Sanctuary! Woof woof!!!

B-Bob likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow. This is probably the last place I expected to see a Logan's Run reference, but... kudos!

9. Surfguy

Well...I do work in Fort Worth near the water fountains that are the entrance into the domed city. Of course, the sad irony is that same waterfall section Logan dove into to get back into the domed city is also where several people in real life have fallen in and were sucked under by the powerful pump only to drown. That...and any time I hear or say the word "identify"...I immediately think back to the film.

But, when the radiation or zombie apocalypse comes, all I have to do is dive in and swim into the domed city. I don't think any dogs will be barking at me while I do that. I'm all set. ;)

#29 Surfguy, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You and your wife should get revenge by making sure that the neighbors know your name.

11. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Why do people get backyard dogs? That's the dumbest thing you can do second to getting a house dog.

1) I like my sleep.
    2) I like my things.
    3) I hate cleaning ****.

12. Surfguy

Dog owners make a lot of sacrifices to keep and raise their little family members.

I'm still working on fixing my house up from the time I had two house dogs...everything from them shaking their ear wax on the walls, re-painting trim where they scratched it up, re-painting walls, and them ruining the carpet from tracking in their filth from outside. Inside dogs are no doubt a messy business. I've still got dog hair and nails in strange places that I come across. And, then there's the end game where your dogs inevitably get ill and go on their deathbeds. That's when it really gets ugly. Cancer vomit, liquid poo. Dogs basically make a mess wherever they go. It really is a lot of work and even more work cleaning the house up...else dog hair dust abounds. And, my dogs were short-hair Ridgebacks. The long-haired breeds, like labs, are even worse.

I remember one of my dogs was cancer vomiting and pooing in the house while I was at work...literally all over the carpet in the house in trails and such. My other dog couldn't walk at the end and was just barfing repeatedly on the floor. I was breaking out the steam vac like every half hour for a time there like all day long until I took that dog to be put down. It was like a dark comedy.

But, I'm still done with dog ownership I think. Once was enough for me.

#32 Surfguy, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  13. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I would love to feed, clean, walk and play with a dog if those were the only things ownership required. But it's so much more that I just can't justify it and it's cruel to leave it in the backyard all day and night.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Get a pro sling shot and practice with it a couple days at a local park. Get that dog nice and good when nobody's looking. Heck you can make it a game. Dog barks and gets a rock going 100mph to the head/body. The dog will learn or die.

15. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Yep, pretty much this. My old employer kept a guard dog (180lb Mastiff and an angry one too) in his backyard and he kept it fenced but only halfway. Most of the time this dog would look capable of jumping over the fence and tearing your face off, because the fence/gate were only about 5ft tall. The dog was very mean too, I remember employees that refused to come inside the office because they were too scared to get close to the fence. But, I found out the dogs weakness was Wendy's chicken nuggets and since there was a Wendy's 2 blocks from our office I would feed the dog a 6 piece nugget every other day or so and eventually it stopped being aggressive with me.

Long story tl;dr, dogs only care about one thing: food.

body slam likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Get an LRAD.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There are certain things you are at the mercy of when you live in close proximity to other people. They have the right to have a dog on their property, sucks that it's annoying but it is what it is. Trying to kick people out of a neighborhood, have them get rid of their dog, force them to punish the dogs etc for barking is wrong IMO.

I live in apartments and my direct neighbor has 2 dogs that will bark until your ears bleed anytime someone walks by outside or even if I make a loud enough movement that they can hear in my apartment. The barking is absolutely ridiculous, but it's my neighbors right to have dogs, I'm the one choosing to live in an apartment complex that accepts dogs. If I don't like it I can go get me 10+ acres in the country and enjoy some silence, it's silly to expect it inside a city/suburb.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No...it is a dog owner's responsibility to not have their dogs inconvenience their neighbors. The same with any pet. The same with themselves and/or their children. It's a matter of common courtesy. In your world, one could not expected to live anywhere that pets were accepted, including the vast majority of the neighborhoods in the world.

OmegaSupreme and Deckard like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So I guess this is why I put up with and pay an HOA.

20. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I know this doesn't apply to all dogs, but I think most non-stop barking dogs are just neglected.

Not rly. I live in a house and my neighbors backyard dog is still pretty loud when I am in my study or in the backyard. I can't hear it in the master bedroom. Also, my next door neighbors dog is always there barking when I pull in or get the mail.

Sure, it would be much worse in an apartment.