1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Griffin No-Shows for Scheduled Workout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Sane

Sane Member

Only one solution now.

Trade him to Philly for a future pick, or if possible, package him with Mobley to get Eric Snow. Even Aron Mckie would do at the moment.

Point being, we send him back home, and he'll just need 5 minutes to get home and sort things out with his girlfriend and/or his kid.

2. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

LOL!!! :D

look at the coordination! as good a match as eggie and responsibility.

3. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

I wonder if its JVG regime that he doesn't like.. thats why hes not turning up and wanting to go to another team..although we can get some kind of consolation prize that we haven't been screwed on all of the rockets draft picks = Yao.. even though it was a no-brainer to take him at number 1

4. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I was the same way. I defended him last year when everyone else hated his game. I felt he was still young and deserved more time to develop.

But one has to have a desire to develop.

When the Rockets traded for him in the 2001 NBA Draft, I was hootin and hollarin. This guy has skills. I watched him in college. The guy was unbelieveable. I honestly thought he was going to be a star. I even saved the 2001 draft tape because the Rockets drafted Eddie.

I am off the Eddie bandwagon. It's impossible to like a player who does not appreciate the opportunities given to him. Eddie Griffin is in the NBA and he doesn't even care. Makes me feel for guys like Wilks and Braggs who are busting their asses just to make it in the NBA.

I get the feeling Eddie doesn't like to work hard and that is what Van Gundy practices are all about, thus he is pulling this crap. I dont think he wants to be here.

Oh well, at least I get an additonal tape to tape a Rockets game on.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Somebody needs to throw his plate in the fireplace.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Remember me from the Harp, JBII. What did I tell you? Anyway, glad to see you're not still hanging on.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Batman,

I was thinking of you, RIET and whoever else was in the anti-Griffin camp that night at the Harp when I was writing that last post.

I like Mo Taylor as a player, and I guess he will have a bigger role when he gets back. Mo knows how to fill it up. So IMO it's not all bad that Eddie isn't around.

8. Batman Jones

Word, JB. I thought you mighta been thinkin bout that time. (That was a fun night.) Time for Mo to step up. If he turns out to be the bust Eddie's been, you'll see me postin the same kinda post. I hope and believe he won't though. I fully believe we're gonna see new, impressive stuff from Mo in his first healthy season in a long, long time.

9. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

You would think maybe Francis or Mobley would have some kind of contact with the guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him robbing a bank in a few years. :rolleyes:

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Griffin is clearly showing that he is unhappy with the team. I'm sure he knows that the Rockets are highly unlikely to extend his contract now.He did show up to practice and was sent home. I get the feeling he wants to be traded but who would want him now?
    The other alternative is that he wants to quit playing basketball all together.
    Extending his contract would give the wrong message to the team. From a business point of view extending his contract is no longer useful since it's clear that he doesn't want to follow the team's instructions.
    If some other team wants him for a future 1st or 2nd round pick I would do it right now.
    I honestly think that he cannot be of any use to the Rockets now.
    I would like to see him do well in his personal life. I have no grudge against him but I'm very disappointed that Griffin didn't turn out to be a success for us.
    Mo- T will have to step us in his absence.

11. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets should extend his contract, but put him on the injury list the entire season. EG is pushing for a trade, and making his ass sit out a season will be nice pay back.

Let me spell this out.

EG is forcing a trade.

When EG found out how JVG wanted him to play, he decided to force a trade. All EG wants to do is jack up threes, and he knows JVG won't settle for that, so he wants out.

Sit him out all year, then when this guy figures out he can't force a trade, he'll come around.

Raven

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's signed through the end of this season. This has probably been addressed somewhere, but I must have missed it... what if he refuses to show up and perform? He refuses to practice? He doesn't show up for games? For weeks at a stretch?

Do we have recourse under the CBA and the League?

13. Batman Jones

I disagree, Raven. If we can't trade him before it's time to re-sign him, I say don't re-sign. Wrong model to pay him to sit out. If we CAN get value back by re-signing, then okay. We'll know that inside the week. Otherwise, cut our losses and leave him at the end of the IR. End of the contract, let him walk. Someone else wants to pick him up as a free agent, let them. After all this, I would love to see the number 7 pick negotiating 10 day contracts. (If not now, then later) After all this, whoever wants to pick him up (year, two-year, five-year or ten-day) he can be their headache. Meantime, I think we can spare the extra IR spot. This thing about tossing in Mobley or Boki so we can ditch EG is bunk. Let him rot. Then, when we're through with him, let him rot again. He's worked hard to earn it. And that's all he's ever worked hard at.

p.s. Go Mo.

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Gotta agree, Batman. Why get rid of a 15-pt role player and an untested rookie just to ditch a stillborn 1st rounder with issues? No reason to cut off our nose to spite our face.

15. Batman Jones

I'm seeing a half full glass. We don't ever need to deal with this guy again. More time for Mo, a chance for Braggs (tonight he looked worth a look) and a serious look around the NBA for another forward. Way better, I say, than another year wasting minutes on a guy who refuses to amount to anything. If Eddie wants to quit basketball I don't really have a problem with it. I only wish he'd decided to do it three years ago. Or even two. Or even one. Anyway, better late than never.

p.s. Go Mo.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If he is indeed trying to force a trade, don't give in until we can get at least decent value back. I kind of doubt the forcing a trade theory, though. I think something is wrong in his head. He might have problems, but that is not an excuse. Many people have problems. He seems like an immature idiot.

17. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

The kid really went over board and he just blew away his worth in the NBA!:(

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Griffin rookie cards for sale.

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

perhaps JVG/CD need to give Eggie a Pensky file!!!!

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The Rockets should suspend Eddie for the year. Don't give him the satisfaction of being cut so he can go to another team later in the season. Once Griffin realizes how much money he is losing by not playing this year he will start begging Rockets management to come back. Then just tell him, "sorry you're not welcome."