1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien out?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kubiak definitely traded for Schaub. I'm talking bout the extension after he got injured. That looked like a Rick-McNair thing because Schaub had only 1 year left.

Schaub was under the impression that he wasn't getting an extension until after the season and said so (my guess is Kubiak told him this)

Then he was surprised to get an extension.

Then started the QB carousel drama like we still have now

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

More likely is that Rick is made executive GM and the day to day stuff is taken care by a real GM. I just do not see McNair firing Rick.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/01/05/losing-obrien-would-be-catastrophic-for-texans/

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

How about the rest of it?

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I see it the other way around. The coach is just setting himself up with an exit plan.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We are stuck with Smith for the long haul. Whether or not BOB comes back next year is the question. Smith isn't going anywhere unless McNair creates a position for him that's different from GM. He's a Texan lifer just like McNair.

J.R. likes this.
  8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I really wouldn't mind seeing Kyle Shanahan back here. Our offense was at its best back when he was OC

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL

on one side we blame the owner for being too patient with a coach and then we get mad when it looks like he's too impatient.

10. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

the question is who is better then obrian the coaching talent that is available doesn't look that good there would be four teams that would love to get obrian

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If it's a choice between BOB and Smith, I choose BOB all day long. If Uncle Bob won't fire his grandson's godfather than make him VP of Operations or something. Get him away from GM role.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Problem is, he'd most likely still put his nose in personnel matters, much like McNair does, which is supposedly why O'Brien has issues.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

And why exactly. What has BOB done for this offense that makes you want to pick him?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I very much agree with this part

"the notion that O’Brien is coaching for his job against the Raiders in the Texans’ playoff game on Saturday is patently absurd. O’Brien has provided stability and success in the face of dire injury and consistently dismal quarterback situations. With JJ Watt projected to be healthy, the Texans’ over/under win total was set at 8.5 by betting experts. Without Watt, your guess is as good as mine. You’d struggle to name five head coaches who’d be able to deliver back-to-back division titles, and matching playoff appearances in these circumstances."

I just had to mention the other part because it is a narrative that desperately needs to die already because it is "patently absurd".

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The timing of it definitely suggests it was a Rick move as he was extended just hours (if even that long) after the first game of the season. Hard to believe a coach would be making contract decisions immediately after a game.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm sort of with you here. BoB is way better than the clown show Bud Adams would roll out there. However, I hold him (and the coaching staff) accountable for what happened to Watt because it looks like he bought into the narrative of Watt being "superman" and allowed him to come back mere weeks after back surgery which I consider to be beyond stupid. I also believe that he was onboard with Osweiler because he was a tall QB. Tomorrow's game is not the problem - they should win what is shaping up to be a very ugly, boring game. It's what happens next week that could determine his fate. They most likely will lose to NE but they can't look as pathetic as they did earlier this year else the narrative for BoB will be: he'll get you to 9-7, slip into the playoffs because his team is in the AFC South and that's about the best you can expect under him. Under these circumstances, I can see McNair entertain the idea of making a coaching change because he expects better results. However, with Jax looking for yet another HC, plus Irsay keeping together the gang that just gave him an 8-8 season, I would argue for one more season to see if BoB can (finally) put together an offense that won't make fans cover their eyes and cringe when it's on the field. If things on the field don't improve offensively then it will be time to look elsewhere.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Would you guys lose your fandom if McNair fired BOB but keep Rick around as GM?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It will be tough

I think this is what will happen

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'd like to see a list of those people, it would be a way to weed out the "Texans fans" from the group of real Texans fans.

If that does happen, I'd be very disappointed and honestly I don't think there's any chance it actually happens, but it's certainly no reason to "lose your fandom", they are still playing the same sport.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

It would be really bad ineptitude from the front office and I would be severely disappointed but I would still be a fan. Won't get to make fun of the Colts anymore for them having a dysfunctional FO