1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUMOR: Mobley, Griffin and Nachbar to Celtics?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsfan03, Oct 23, 2003.

1. goophers

goophers Member

Thank god this trade didn't go through. I was listening to 610 this morning and they mentioned it. I couldn't hear clear enough and had a huge lump in my throat, thinking the trade went through. I would like to hang on to Nachbar/Mobley, but if they get traded, it'd better be for something more than those two.

2. a-rock

a-rock Member

"It's better than the alternative," he said. "I'd much rather be here than overseas. At least my family will get to see me do all the doughnuts and all that."

what did he mean with the doughnuts??

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

A doughnut is NBA slang for a 0 in a particular stat category.

Braggs is expecting a lot of doughnuts. Ergo, 0 minutes played, 0 points scored, 0 rebounds... you get the idea.

4. GocartMozart

GocartMozart Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66706

Just a thought. Does anybody else wonder about the fact that this rumor just happened to concern the first four players in the list in Chad Ford's article? I might be more inclined to believe that where there's smoke there's at least somebody talking about starting a fire (given that it surfaced on the Celtics radio station), but this just seems too convenient and easy (not to mention lazy) a way for a trade rumor to get started for me to continue taking it seriously once I went back and looked at this thread.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Doh!

I thought that meant he would be picking up donuts for the veterans everyday.

Seriously. :eek:

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and to put this to rest for good...

from the Boston Herald
    http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/celtics.bg?articleid=61

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know about "put to rest." Reporters are often lazier than the rest of us. Sports reporters seldom even mention trade exceptions and the like but always manage to say how "the numbers don't match up."

Too much of what gets printed in newspapers is BS. Someone tells them what to print, they do, and we're supposed to believe it....but this trade might or might not have been true, and certainly won't happen anyway.

8. zong

zong Member

Yao thinks that Mobely is a selfish player? No way, Yao will say that. Even if Yao may not happy about the play of Mobely, but the
    Rox is not his team, he is not going to say anything. Your poster may damge Yao's image as a person. You do not know much Chinese culture, do you? I know lots of it. I argee with you that Mobley is the wrong guy to put out there with him, but Yao will not say anything, because she is not the owner. that is Chinese culture. He will try to be happy with everbody in the Rox no matter what. In China national team, the guards are so bad, but he never complain.:eek:

9. Jeff Gundy

Jeff Gundy Member

What is the link to that very article was put on the official site of the Houston Rockets? That has to say something in itself, huh?

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

So Portland and Boston thought their values where similiar enough to have a discussion? I'm not surprised...doesn't sound like Battie is so worthless after all.

Make it a 3 teamer, send Battie to Portland, send McInnis to Houston and move Francis to SG:

PG - McInnis / Moochie / Wilks
    SG - Francis / JJax / Pike
    SF - Eric Wiliams / Pike / Nachbar
    PF - MoT / Cato / Amaechi
    C - Yao / Cato / Amaechi

11. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I get sick of hearing that crap. This is not MLB. If bill Gates owned the Rockets, he would not have the ability to buy his way into a chapionship, there is a salary cap. Their only options are to sign players to the MLE and trade salary for salary.

Money is a concern. The only money difference between Dallas and Houston is Dallas is willing to pay the luxury tax.

The Mavs have simply made all the right moves.

Not Moochie, Taylor, Cato, and when they make stupid moves, they are smart enough to get rid of them.

J. Howard - Gone
    Lafrenz - Gone
    Van Excel - Gone

Not only do they get rid of them, but they get players who contribute in return for their trash.

The Rockets just make terrible decisions on signing players and player moves and do nothing to correct them until it is too late. By the time the Rockets realize their mistake they are stuck.

12. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Oh HELL YEA ! ! ! !

Since he gets lit up offensively by PG's I would love to see Francis guarding a 2 that has 3-6 inches in height and 20-30 pounds:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Give up on Francis at the 2 until the Rockets land a 6'6" PG who can guard the 2.

....NEVER!

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You missed the point...Battie is not worthless (like 98% of the posters in this thread believe). Maybe I'll have to put in footnotes for the less imaginative. :p

And BTW, Mobley is how much taller than Francis? And McInnis is how much shorter than Eric Snow? And how much of Moochie and Francis have we seen under JVG? And EWill at 6'8" with a 6'10" wingspan can't D's how many SG's?

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Posters on the ESPN board have as much credibility as used cars salemen.

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Jeff McGinnis, Tony Battie, Cuttino Mobley.

Which does not belong?

McGinnis is a good backup but borderline starter. If we really wanted McGinnis, we shouldve signed him after the Clippers said adios.

Have we gotten to the point where every marginal NBA player is seen as a good move by the Rockets?

There are literally hundreds of non-descript, low impact players in the NBA and we seem to want all of them.

Why did the Spurs beat the Lakers?

Did Tim Duncan really beat the Lakers all by himself or was it the fact Tony Parker, Emanuel Ginoboli, Stephen Jackson, and David Robinson were just better than Pargo, Shaw and Medevenko.

16. haven

haven Member

Not many people here said Battie was worthless. As someone who actively follows the Celtics, here's my take...

Just not worth what we'd be paying for him. Look, he's a big guy who can guard most of the PF/C's in the East. I have serious doubts about whether he could in the West. He's smart, hustles, and knows how to play... but he isn't very strong... and isn't that quick, either.

He has range just outside of the paint, but certainly not much more. He doesn't really have much of a post game, either. Really, the best thing he does on offense is keep driving lanes open with the threat of an 8 foot jumper or so. He has a hook, but it's not very good.

What do you like so much about the guy? I just don't get it. A decent PF/C, who serves in the Eastern Conference. Personally, I prefer Cato to him.

And mentioning a trade concerning Jeff McInnis (whoopee) that didn't go through doesn't really lend much to one's assessment of Tony Battie.

17. kgw

kgw Member

Why not pull a Cuban:

Cat
    Cato
    Mooch

for

Pierce
    Battie

Salaries work. Think Ainge is that dumb twice?

18. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Sorry if this has neen posted alread -- didn't feel like wading through 13 pages to see -- but I saw this in the Boston Globe this morning:

"There was a rumor, but as far as I know, there's nothing happening with it," said Mark Bartelstein, who represents Williams. "I talked to [Houston general manager] Carroll Dawson today, and he said there's nothing going on at all."

Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge also dismissed the rumor. "I haven't even had a conversation with Houston in over three months about anything," he said. "That is 100 percent make-believe. There's nothing going on."

I don't see why the Centics would do this deal, either. The best player involved is Cat and he would be sitting on the bench behing all-star Pierce. And as well as Blount is playing, they desperately need Battie.

19. aries323

aries323 Member

The trade is DEAD.THANK GOD NEXT

:cool:

20. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I think what everyone is saying is that the trade was never, in fact, alive.

I wonder if this whole rumor can be traced directly back to the ESPN board? Seems unlikely, but who knows?

And to take it a step further, what if the Boston guys went to research the rumor, and found the discussion here?

Oh well, the good news is that:
    1. We didn't make the trade.
    2. Just in case other teams were paying attention, maybe we'll get some worthwhile offers to kick around.
    3. Best of all, CD didn't panic and do something stupid... again...