1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Durant Neutered Curry?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Dec 28, 2016.

1. BackdoorHarden

Durant doesn't care much about stats either because he keeps passing up open shots. Most of KD's turnover is from overpassing.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Warriors signature win this year:

Toronto, Clippers or Nets?

Warriors signature losses this year:

Spurs and Rockets and Cavs.

The Warriors needed big men and got an extra shooter. Trade Klay or Curry for two bigs that can set real picks and I'll be nervous. Until then... soft.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. They won a championship without him
    2. They won 73 games last year, without him
    3. They SHOULD have won another one last year, again, without him

That's what makes me think that Curry was either overruled or convinced that this would be a good move. If you believe that Curry, Green, Thompson, Kerr, etc. "love playing team basketball" then why would they sacrifice their depth/chemistry to bring in another scorer? It was Green who recruited Durant hard, not Curry nor Thompson.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  4. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

My only thought is they seem to have more problems with the better teams, but are easily beating up the bad teams. They seem to be shakier despite statistically as good or better.

5. FearTheBeardJH

Warriors have the best margin of victory, the best SRS and the offense in NBA history so far and that's with Curry, Thompson and Green shooting 5% worse from 3pt than last year(and that makes huge difference on such volume - their 116.1 offensive rating would go to almost 120). That means most Warriors players likely underperformed so far and are still the best team ever. Other teams will have to get lucky to win a single game in bo7.

macho GRANDE and hakeem94 like this.
  6. jbasket

jbasket Member

They are worse because the Rockets beat them.

Pen15clubber and Mr Chuck Norris like this.
  7. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Not a good sign when Curry is demanding more touches in front of the media, especially in his last contract year.

Now, if I were him, and I wanted to go to another team which shoots a ton of 3 pointers... which team would that be...

8. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

It was obvious that Curry's numbers would be down from last season. That said, I agree with SamFisher that the aura just isn't there with this year's Warriors team compared to the past two seasons. Something's missing. Heck I hear more about Draymond Green these days than I do about Curry. And even with Klay, aside from that 60-ish point game he had a few weeks ago, he's been pretty quiet so far as well.

The Warriors are probably still going to win 65-69 games this year, similar to what they did two seasons ago. However, I think if this Golden State team encounters a bad matchup in the playoffs, then they'll be in serious trouble. There are a few teams that have the personnel to exploit GS's weaknesses throughout a playoff series. I also think it's true that some other teams are adapting to GS's style of play...that was inevitable.

macho GRANDE and hakeem94 like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

The main problem the Warriors had is they lost the versatility they had last year. Last year the lineup of Bogut/Green/Iggy/Klay/Curry was pretty much complete, they had good passing, good interior (Bogut/Green) and good perimeter defense (Iggy/Klay), good shooting and spacing (Green/Klay/Curry) and then superstar talent. So it was really hard to beat them because no team is perfect and their lineup can pretty much any weakness their opponent had. Now while GSW is more talented overall than last season I think they lost that complete package, they're always forced to play small ball which IMHO puts them in the same bucket as the Rox, they will struggle against team with legit bigs on the floor and honestly SaS will spank their ass 99/100 with their frontcourt of Gasol/LMA and then Kawhi locking down KD.

This is why I don't believe in the "big 3" system, you can't have 3 guys making the max and still have a good team. Celts only won a ring when they were paying like 2 quality vets the minimum and Rondo, Perkins and Mike James were making chump change and Miami only won because Lebron was there. We're seeing GSW struggling with the lack of good players at other positions, they might have to trade Iggy for somebody who can play center.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think they also lost the teamwork and chemistry they had last year. Everybody felt like they were important and were willing to sacrifice to ensure the W, now with key guys traded or ignored to bring KD in that sense of loyalty to the organization is gone and KD/Curry/Klay are all taking turns with the ball instead of playing together.

You know they're in trouble because KD/Klay/Curry are deferring to each other, a team with real chemistry wouldn't worry about what other players are thinking and will take the shot without hesitation 'cause they know the other guys won't mind if the ball goes in the hoop.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, and I said it before the season that Durant would make them worse.

Golden State is signifcantly worse than last year.....there is only 1 ball, they screwed their chemistry by trying to be a pro AAU team.

They are no longer built for the playoffs.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Durant is like a better TMac
    He is not a lead . . . he has to be the second dude
    I think for them to have success . . . Klay and Curry will have to take over in the playoff
    Durant will make his point but when it is WINNING TIME . . .. he needs to defer

Rocket River

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I think WE in HOUSTON knock them down a level more than others because our team BEAT theirs. And the Rockets have been darn good themselves with blowout wins, so there isnt much separation of them from us.

If GS beat the Rockets by 15 itd be a slightly different tune. GS would only have 4 losses and looking ridiculously great again.

CURRY has definitely looked less spectacular. Its both from Durant's presense, and from Kyrie Irving owning him in last Finals. And he was so absurdly good over a whole season, it was almost unsustainable. Lebron hasnt been AS good back in Cleveland as we was in Miami, but he was back to being the best when it counted in postseason. Maybe a similar type trajectory with Curry

14. Major

Major Member

They had this same problem last year too, despite having the magical "aura". You all focus on the fact that they don't look as good as last year, but ignore the fact that they didn't win a title last year. And it wasn't just Lebron and Cleveland - they almost lost to OKC also. That "aura" wasn't worth anything in the playoffs, so they are trying something different. Only time will tell whether it helps or hurts them when it matters.

15. BigTex

BigTex Member

Currys 3P% is down to 40% from 45% last year
    Thompson 39% from 42%
    Iggy 30% from 35%
    Green 33% from 39%
    No more Barbosa. Speights. Barnes. Rush.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

More importantly no Bogut, that to me is the biggest issue. You're not coming off a (illegal) screen clean for the shot. It's a HUGE gamble they took, you broke up a 73 win team and lost depth. It's gonna be interesting if they lose in the playoffs or finals

17. nobie

nobie Member

Durant is overall better basketball player than Curry. And im not talking only about ball handling skill or shooting, but everything, Durant is basically 7 feet tall and quick and agile and has good enough handles. Curry might have better handles or faster shot or whatever, but that doesnt change the fact that Durant will usually give you higher % shot.

And here is the kicker, at the crunch you give the ball to the best % to score player and that is Durant atm on Warriors.

18. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Golden State might be the best NBA example of how "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely"...time will tell

19. FearTheBeardJH

Yet they still have the best offense in NBA history so far..

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Didn't read thread, but anyone who thinks the Warriors are worse than they were last year is trippin.