1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Playoff Scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Idk why but for however long I've been watching football I've believed that division records determine division winners and the best 2 other overall records determine wild cards. Division records don't mean **** apparently. And I'm stupid.

So....we play KC round 1? I sure hope not. Andy Reid has that team playing chip worthy ball.

There's no way we can win a playoff game playing chicken **** offense. Bill OBrien needs to gameplan for chicken salad and damn it all if it just doesn't work, at least you'll go down swinging instead of going down trying to block a punch and failing...5 yard passes on 3rd and 8, scrap! Run up the middle with everybody and their mother expecting it, scrap! Never pushing the ball down the field or bombing it, never screens....that fake trickery that tricks nobody like TEs and backs split wide only to motion back to the formation, thereby bringing another tackler into the fray, scrap! Honestly, if they get blanked in the playoffs again....heads roll, right?

ramotadab and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's looking probable for the first round opponent to be the Raiders, and I gotta admit, it'll be nice to get revenge on them for the Mexico City Screwjob

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The Texans' 2016 campaign will go down as one of the most disappointingly rewarding seasons in sports history.

BigShasta and ramotadab like this.
  4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

3 wins away from NRG Super Bowl

BigShasta likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not sure if to root for the Browns or the Broncos/Chiefs this week.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Best possible scenario in my mind is. Miami beats NE in Miami this week, Oakland beats Denver in Denver. Under that scenario I think we play the chiefs in the wildcard round and Oakland if we get by them.

7. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Or Miami beats NE and SD beats KC.

Miami round one
    Likely Oakland round two (KC will probably beat Pittsburgh)

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To be fair, you're not the only one that thought this. I had this exact conversation with someone while tailgating for the Jax game. He couldn't understand why the division record was meaningless. 10 of us kept telling him he was an idiot but he pressed on. So, you're not alone in not realizing this the the NFL and not college football and that the NFL has never done it that way...ever.

I get the feeling we're going to end up with Oakland. I think Denver is wanting to end the season on a high note and won't let a backup qb beat them at their home...especially when it's the Raiders. KC is playing really well right now and I can't imagine they'll lose to the Chargers.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. rockets13champs

I want oakland minus carr, KC is going to smoke us

Fulgore likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The division record is clearly not meaningless, considering if the Texans lose to the Titans, it is their division record that propels them into the playoffs.

Astrodome and marks0223 like this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ideal setup?

#1 Oakland
    #2 New England
    #3 Pittsburgh
    #4 Houston
    #5 Miami
    #6 KC

That gives us Miami round 1 and Oakland round 2 (if Pitt beats KC).

For that to happen we need...

Oakland to beat Denver
    SD to beat KC
    Miami to beat NE

ramotadab and samtaylor like this.
  12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Division record only matters as a second tie breaker. It's why the Texans have already clinched. If the Texans lose Sunday, they'll have the same record as the Titans and will have split the season series.

ramotadab likes this.
  13. leroy

Yes, of course. I just meant it (the division record) wasn't the first determining factor. It's a tiebreaker.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see KC losing to SD. The Chargers looked deplorable against the winless at the time Browns.

15. conquistador#11

Miami beat NE? yeah ok! never ever is that going to happen!
    the elite baby maker vs the chiefs defense will be a pick six fest orgy.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Im rooting for KC to win and Oakland to lose.. That would make us play Oakland first round right? Don't care who is after that. I just want to start with that.

17. leroy

Correct.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I mean how disingenuous is it for a coach to get in front of a mic and say oh we're 5-0 in division?

So what is the point of divisions...just seed the best 12? Isn't that what's happening anyway?

I guess that's why me and your bud thought that. Idk...

Ah. Good. If the Texans aren't jacked up, ready for revenge....god help us all. That should be another 30-0 playoff game at reliant....

ramotadab likes this.
  19. leroy

I'm not saying it shouldn't be or that doesn't make sense. It's just never ever ever ever ever been that way in the NFL...Ever.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we'll beat whoever is in front of us in the first round..and that includes KC. We're going to surprise....Of course, Pitt and NE are different animals.

red5rocket likes this.