1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden has to stop playing heroball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Dec 20, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's not the L that hurts, it's the way we threw it away.

Harden did screw up that iso, should have driven and kicked on Aldridge

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It has completely failed.

Another poster linked his stats in crunch time. They're terrible! This is the same guy who was the most clutch player in the NBA two seasons ago.

I can't see what's changed to create such a stark difference. If someone else does, let me know.

Again, even during the win streak, this was a problem. We found a way to win despite it. And that's great. Win streaks are great.

Some food for thought: @Mr. Clutch has a thread on how many close games the Rockets have won. There are a lot of them! It's great that we've won so many close games.

On the flip side, it's horrible that we've let teams get back into games (more than a few times) with our horrible late game execution. The ball is in Harden's hands during this time. It's on him.

He has to be better in that regard. That might be asking too much of a guy who is already doing so much. But if we're going to win a championship, he has to be better at that.

I think it all fixes if he just starts his move sooner into the shot clock.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

trust your teammates.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

James needs to discover the deep, true zone like Kagami.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The turnovers in the 4th qtr were why we choked

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

In specifically talking about the airball play: Harden literally stood behind the line with ball in his hands for 20 seconds, spent 3 more trying to shake Aldridge, and when he couldn't, he jacked up a terrible percentage shot. There was no movement by any other Rocket, so either the play was drawn up in which Harden would iso, or Harden did actually take it upon himself to change the play, and go iso instead of what was drawn up.

Jeez, you're acting as though I'm criticizing Harden about this entire game; I'm not - the last 3-4 minutes though, I'm putting Harden on blast. Honing in, especially, on that one terrible play.

deb4rockets, ilovehtownbb and DudeWah like this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP is dead on. Tonight wasn't the best example of the stated problem but the point still stands.

Harden should initiate the offense with 8-10 seconds left, not 4-5. This would greatly increase the chance of getting a decent FG attempt.

Harden should not start milking the clock in tight games with 2-3-4 minutes left. Just doesn't make sense. It completely kills offensive continuity for too long a period. Rockets should continue doing what worked instead of taking the air out of the ball.

Rockets need to attack the rim more to close games instead of settling for 3-pointers. Dribbling the shot clock down to 4 seconds so often makes this more difficult.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Harden has taken on the role of team quarterback, so there's even MORE expectations with it than even before. Disappointed with his point guarding at end of game. He SHOULD be better than that.

If Russell Westbrook or Jeremy Lin made mistakes like Harden did at end, goodness they'd be ROASTED to bits.

There's no reason to wait until 2.5 seconds left at end of clock to start making basketball moves, when there'e only a slow 7 footer on you and you're one of the best isolation players in the world. The only advantage the defender has is length, and a fallback 3 pointer with no time only plays right into his hands. (Especially when you havent hit any 3's all day). I'm sure Pops wouldnt even let Parker or Manu get away with that without hearing about it.

Its plays that ARE within CONTROL, not lack of talent issue. Its why its mentioning it

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I knew they would be terrible. To answer your question about why they are: its because of a couple of reasons.

First of all, its called predictability. '14-'15 was the first year we really saw Harden as a top 5 player, and he was insane that season. His moves were crisp and concise (more on that later) and the league was not familiar with his isolation game. Sure he isoed before that season but teams hadn't figured out his full array of moved and how to counter them. Harden and the staff in general have been far too slow to acknowledge that teams have adjusted, yet he keeps doing the same thing in crunch time over and over and over again. Every team knows where the ball is going, every team is now familiar with his go to moves. We have not adjusted. Harden has not learnt anything. Bad Basketball.

The other reason or factor is mentality. I don't know what the reason is in regards to this, but harden just dribbles the air out of the ball this season down the stretch. Too much shitty dribbling on the spot waving off screens. Waiting far too long to get into his set up. Burning 20 seconds before initiating his iso. This makes him so much easier to guard and its also poor basketball. Im fine with him doing it once or twice a game but doing it repeatedly over and over down the stretch is unacceptable.

He lacks the intent and killer instinct overall that he had two seasons ago. That season we all felt safe with him running the clock down. He didn't dribble THAT much and when he did there was a clear motive or intent behind his moves.

This season I am seeing too much stationary dribbling and stagnant isolation. Remember that move he pulled on Exum earlier this year? That was a flashback to two seasons ago. He sold the move perfectly and was decisive. For the most part this season he has been low intensity in the clutch and its been painful to see. I keep hearing how genius his basketball IQ is but it doesn't seem to be changing at all. It will have to if we want to finish Top 3. He's already cost us two or three games this season with this ****.

Harden is my favourite player and I still trust him to take the big shot but this nonsensical lackadaisical pointless dribbling needs to stop. Remain alert and attack the rim. He's become too stagnant and way too predictable.

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol what a load of rubbish, he was the only one who had the mind to milk the clock. the worst play was the Eric Gordon quick three that he put up and missed and that led to the Spurs comeback

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I knew it. He's been anti clutch for the majority of this season. I don't know what was up with him 14-15 season but he's was a ridiculous. I mean that Harden. He was just deadly. He was the best closer in the league. Now when it's crunch time I don't even want him in.

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Well jeez it's just stupid to put only Harden on blast for that one play and not hold other guys that made bad plays in crunch time accountable as well. You know if Eric Gordon stood behind the line with the ball in his hands for 20 seconds and 3 more trying to his shake defender instead of chucking it with a full shot clock, maybe we would've won.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Did y'all not watch the same game?? We were up 8; harden takes a bad 3 and drives into a double team (turnover) on two consecutive plays.... no ball movement... leads to 2 3's for spurs.

14. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Very strong post here by Cashmoney, dude. Old habits can be hard to break and I think even MDA would tell you he doesn't like the Harden ISO late in the games but the team is still trying to wash themselves the remaining stink of the McHale regime, which will be a process even for Harden.

If you remember, Lebron had these same issues during his first tenure with the Cavs. People claimed he was mentally weak and would never win a championship. He always went for the ISO at the end of games and was fairly terrible in those situations as well. Eventually Lebron learned how to be a dude and share rather than bogart and to trust his fellas.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

How can the league leader in assists be accused of playing "hero ball?" He should play more hero ball if anything.

16. riko

riko Member

The positive thing is Harden said as much in post game interview that he stuffed up and it wont happen again.

ilovehtownbb, Stormy1234 and DudeWah like this.
  17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Harden himself can admit to it, but larsv8 and gang cannot.

Very interesting.

18. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

It hurts losing to the Spurs when they had a great chance of winning tonight, but it gives them something to learn from moving forward. I'm sure they will go back and watch plenty of films and try to correct the mistakes that costed them the game. The Spurs are the best coached team in the NBA and they are the probably the best team in the league besides the Warriors right now. Let's just hope they watch the tape and find ways to correct their turnover issues and produce points at a high rate if their 3s isn't falling.

19. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

ESPN highlight ... check Harden's defense 0:15

It is quite laughable the walking defense. Not much better than the one Anthony Bennett got caught on defening a PnR a couple of years back.

The only thing that saved Harden was the shot actually being fired up and going in, or else it would look quite embarrassing.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that was one of his worst games so far this season. why he keeps settling for the 3 over and over again when they clearly aren't falling, who knows. and his shot has generally been off for quite a while now. he's been getting plenty of rest with his minutes down, so the exhausted excuse doesn't work anymore either. to get the next level something has to change with his mindset.

deb4rockets likes this.