1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Donatas Motiejunas won't report to Rockets cause of $6M difference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gorki, Dec 7, 2016.

1. basketballholic

Sorry Jewel honey. Gotta read the whole thing. That's if they don't put passing a physical as a stipulation. Once the team puts passing a physical as a stipulation they are not under contract until they pass the physical.

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I feel you, yesterday I was all for letting him rot him on the shelf until March. That contract is shitty for Dmo and if he gets a injury between now and March he's out of the league without much savings to support retirement. When he signed that Nets contract he was obviously banking on that front end money just in case things don't work out.

I don't want Dmo to suffer due to BJ's incompetence. At the end of the day we have to take care of our own. Maybe negotiate a signing bonus. That would require Dmo getting his ass off of BJ's lap and coming to the negotiation table.

3. tobster

tobster Member

How is DMo a rare commodity? He is just someone we have the rights to because he is restricted. If he was an unrestricted free agent then we would explore other alternatives.

It all comes down to his "Agent" not understanding the implications of a contract being signed and the high likelihood that it would be matched by the Rockets. He is stupid for choosing and paying this "Agent"

How you can blame Morey for any of it unbelievable... Of course if Morey just gave in to what DMo wanted and then he got hurt and wasn't worth the contract you would blame Morey.... SMH

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Coon wrote that with full knowledge about the physical being a requirement of the first refusal exercise notice. He's saying that the moment the Rockets informed the league office of that notice, by league rules DMo is officially under contract to the team, regardless of whether or not he shows up for the physical.

His entire blog post is a good read on the finer details for the situation.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Disagree with this completely. The SMART thing to do is to stick to our guns and NOT SET A PRECEDENT that RFA, especially mediocre ones that can't find a good offer with other teams, that they can't bully their way out of a binding contract.

You are completely off here... We are not losing him for nothing. He is under contract with us already, regardless of whether or not he wants to play ball with us. We also cannot lose him to the Nets unless he FAILS his physical, which he has to take first and then have us not waive. If we waive his physical, we should still be able to keep his 2 year guaranteed contract as a tradable asset. Even if we don't waive it and let his contract expire in March, he is still a RFA that we reserve the right to match an offer for.

6. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

I know nothing about salary cap or whatever, just basing on info I can search online (to fit my narrative of course).

I think BJ knew what he was doing concerning incentives (at least to some extent). It's not like he hasn't used incentives as part of contracts given to the players he's represented:
    (1) sportsrac shows Bismack Biyombo has $17 million a year for the next four years with each year with $1 million in unlikely incentives. Guaranteed then is really just a total of $68 million. At the time though, it was reported higher on SBNation ($72 million) and ESPN ($70 million).
    (2) sportsrac shows Omer Asik has $9.2, 9.9, 10.6, 11.3, 12 million a year for the five years with each year with $1 million in unlikely incentives. Guaranteed then is really just $53 million. At the time though, it was reported higher on Yahoo and SBNation ($60 million).

Now to me it's pretty clear each time the reported value has to include these unlikely incentives which makes the contract look better but as they are unlikely, to me it's just false advertising (my opinion mind you). Going through all the NBA teams contracts on sportsrac, incentives (likely and unlikely) are very rarely used and I don't think I saw any higher than $1 million which happens to be those two (Deron Williams was another, maybe there were more). BJ must have known about unlikely incentives at least to some extent as Omer Asik's extension was back in 2015 and he may have wondered "Why am I getting $9 million? Where's that extra $1 million in unlikely incentives?"

What we've been told (shout out to BimaThug thread) $1 million was actually in the likely incentives and $500k in unlikely incentives. As we now know, Rockets only needed to match the principal $31 million leaving out $4 million in likely incentives and $2 million in unlikely incentives. Truly speaking even if it was the Nets who got him, at best he'd receive $35 million if he did achieve all the likely incentives and got extended throughout the whole contract (we're really talking $4 million difference, not $6 million).

Granted maybe they think any incentive means guaranteed money, hence why someone leaked those larger contract figures. Although I guess that happens all the time in any sport (ie - tend to inflate values and some info can be bent/not given). We still don't know the terms of the incentives (doubt we ever will) so a moot point on that.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nope. Sorry. You're wrong.

Go read the blog post and try to wrap your tiny fevered brain around the difficult concepts there. I realize it hurts your slim chances of being right regarding DMo "getting his money," but facts are facts. If Larry Coon is correct (and he's more of an expert on the CBA than any of us), then DMo is already considered to be under contract.

Ewell Sea

craguin, BigMaloe and Tha_Dude like this.
  8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why the hell would we match it when we can just sit on it until it is about to expire before making a decision?

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Did the balcoholic post that? general bbs rule: always assume he is wrong.

Check HeyPs narrative. larry coon (salary cap expert par excellence) seems to have suggested that all dates push backwards until he fronts up. but he only has 48 hrs to front up or he gets limboed.

The guy is a douchebag

10. basketballholic

Ha.

Sorry, this is what the lawyers are scrambling around about right now. He's not under contract until he passes the physical or they decide to waive it. He can't possibly be under contract when the Rockets aren't committed.

U vill See.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus... :/

topfive likes this.
  12. tobster

tobster Member

Since this news broke, reading all the posts by BBHall has been pretty annoying.... But do you gotta add to it DD? I know you're a real Rockets fan so just get over your pride and admit DMo is not being All Star professional you thought he was... COME ON MAN! :D

13. leeallen

leeallen Contributing Member

Dmo and BJ can negotiate with the Rockets about the incentives before signing the contract. It can be any incentives or even different from the offer sheet. Just the principle is the same.
    No one knows if BJ and Morey have discussion about that or not.

pocketrocket81 likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the truth is BJ Armstrong is incompetent and didn't know Houston doesn't have to match the incentive portion

bobloblaw likes this.
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DMo needs to fire BJ.....then sue his a$$...gross incompetence.

Anyway, one thing is coming out of this mess. We have a steal of a deal.. with flexibility and massive upside ...if DMo returns to form.

16. bongman

bongman Member

He is super rare that he got numerous offers for his rare skillset. I think what you are experiencing is the same thing that owners feel when they sell their car. They think their car is worth Z (insert justification here) even though everybody is just willing to pay Y.

17. leeallen

leeallen Contributing Member

From HP

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...-todays-physical.279004/page-41#post-10808176

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Hopefully when this is all said and done he comes back and is a monster in the post and is strokin that 3, if not then this board is going to tear him a ****ing black hole where his anus used to be

19. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

Rashmon likes this.
  20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

No @basketballholic I didn't say we lose if we keep him. I said we win either way, but that it has been good that he's been gone. Its been a blessing in desguise. Let's say he took that qualifying offer. After this season he'd be leaving anyway. After March 1st the season is almost over. So if he goes to another team, that is better than the Rockets over paying him, ruining their flexibility moving forward. If the Rockets don't win a championship its not going to be because Dmo never suited up.