1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets sign Donatas Motiejunas to 4-year, $37M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. I can't think of a logical reason why he wouldn't either, but I know what you mean when it comes to the weird feeling that he might not do so anyway. It's kind of why I'm looking to find a valid logical reason why he might not do it. If I can't find ANY reason, I'll be pretty pissed off if he doesn't.

MorningZippo and DudeWah like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

DMo is (or was) actually pretty good at running the floor. Of course, the worry now is whether his back injury will hamper his ability to run as much as he did before the injury.

MorningZippo likes this.
  3. Mr. Motiejunas

Donatas doesn't want Morey to match the offer sheet.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point I don't think he cares. If he plays like trash then either team will cut him.

If he comes back to form, and plays awesome, he is still basically stuck on a one year, non-guaranteed, below market value contract for the next 3 seasons. Brooklyn does give him the best chance to put us good stats this year (crap frontcourt, lots of rebounds next to Lopez) but there's no real incentive to play particularly well in terms of financial gain.

His best case scenario financially may be to get cut before next year, sign a one year deal with any team that will give him minutes, play well and try again in 2018 free agency.

5. dwert

dwert Member

imposters need to get banned

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

But what does Harden want?

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

D-Mo has no-trade veto power for a full YEAR, meaning he can't get traded until December 2017 without his permission. So he can't really be moved this next off season (unless D-Mo is nice and says "Yes I'll help you".)

IF the Rockets keep him past March 1st its basically a guaranteed 2 year deal, immovable for 1.5 years.

If the Rockets CUT D-Mo March 1st it'd still be like $9 mil half season of work, then there's no guarantee he fits into the system, and he can't be moved in February if a deal comes up so its like Rockets are intentionally putting $9mil of dead money on the salary cap

Based on Parsons situation, can see Morey saying no thanks to those snares.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Bobby Brown to keep being his cheerleader. :D

Bobbythegreat and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

9th? wow...Our rebounding is a spectacle to watch lately! the way they fight for those rebs make me proud!

10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

just when you thought there wasn't going to be much to talk about this weekend with no games

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure he has no trade veto power, but if you want to clear his contract you can void the rest of his contract, so you aren't really stuck with him if you don't want him. So there's no argument that he would hamper future flexibility and it would really come down to being cheap, not wanting to shell out 9 mil for quality depth.....which you would have no other way of getting.

On top of that, you can still clear cap space by moving Brewer and/or Ariza, which would make more sense given that you want Dekker to play more and SF would be a spot you might be looking at targeting in FA, certainly not PF after throwing 20 mil a year for 4 years at Anderson.

I don't see being cheap as a valid reason, so I still haven't heard a valid reason not to match DMo.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Turns out BJ got him a pretty good deal, 2nd year locked in if on roster past March 1st? Means a guaranteed 2nd year which we were not offering.

Tricky contract.

DD

13. omgTHEpotential

It's not a slam dunk for either side, that's for sure.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see it as a deal that is fair to everyone. If he comes back and can't play, you can get out for only 5 mil after a month. If after 3 months, you don't think it's working out, the team can still get out free.....on top of that, if he plays well enough to justify his spot, he gets a 2nd year guaranteed after 3 months. Even then, teams can still get out after that with the last 2 seasons not guaranteed. Given the injury concerns right now, this was the best deal he could get with the most guarantees.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. edward nigma

edward nigma Member

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Conversely, March 1st is plenty of time to determine Bust or not, and cut him, which is marginally the same money Morey was offering since July.

No matter how you slice it DaDakota, this is a very Team-friendly contract for Nets, Rockets or any other teams,,,,ESPECIALLY if DMo returns to 2015 form.

If he returns to 2015 form and showcases well in the playoffs, the contract becomes one of the worst for a Top 15 PF in the league, who's not on rookie scale. And would be quite easy to trade, as long as you make DMo happy with a new destination. NBA Teams would be lining up for that contract, if DMo produces.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Are you still confident we'll match hp? I kinda was but i don't know right now...maybe it's just that this waiting makes you rise more questions, doubts etc lol

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think it is, but I would have given DMo a 2nd guaranteed year to begin with...

The problem with the March 1st guaranteeing the 2nd year is that it is before the offseason, it forces any team that is playing him to keep him, and he has trade veto power into the next year - and it gets him another 9+M.

Morey only offered 1 year guaranteed with the 2nd as a team option, this is not the same because in order to NOT give him a 2nd year he has to be CUT by March 1st, making him an UFA and again, not a trade asset.

This is a contract that is meant to give DMo the ability to have a say where he plays and to give him access to UFA this offseason if it doesnt work out. It is a very anti-trade sort of contract at least for the first 1.5 years.

After that it switches to a super great contract for the team - ASSUMING he is healthy.

Very tricky.

DD

#158 DaDakota, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  19. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

do you guys think part of the reason why the Rockets would hesitate to take a flyer on dmo it's because they do not want to be the team who declined his team option and cost him even more money? I am sure he feels like he's already been kind of screwed by this organization once

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The contract IS quite clever . It feels like the deadlines to cut or guarantee are super soon . Basically he's only guaranteed 5 million , but you have to decide by January whether you want to keep him for the rest of the year ??

Let me ask a question . If the nets were that worries his back would fail by January why would they offer him a contract at all ? The first deadline is like a month after he signs the contract right ? That's too soon to tell how well his back will hold up .... Unless the nets doctors really don't know .

Again the second trigger date .. March 1st . I can understand not wanting to guarantee the second year but why so early ? Again this is just a few more months and the amount of info you will have regarding dmo's health won't have grown too much from January .

So sure these triggers limit flexibility for Morey and provide insurance to the Nets given his back fails him in the next few months . But it also doesn't account for the scenario of if Dmo plays well for 5 months and then his back ****s up . At least not during the first two years.

I think the easiest way to look at the contract is like the first two years are guaranteed . Of course if his back IMMEDIATELY ****s up then you can get out in year 1 . But if he's healthy you are going to pick up those first two triggers because of the long term upside the rest of he deal gives the team .

What I'm getting at is that for either team ( outside of immediate injury ) it looks like the triggers will be picked up . So why not just make the first two years guaranteed ? He's healthy now and injury would lilkely occur later rather than sooner. It's likely a device to signal Morey from the nets . They hope that by putting in those triggers he doesn't match . I think those triggers work more in their favor for trying to dissuade Morey than they do for actually providing Dmo injury insurance.

TLDR ... Tricky contract . Look at it like two years guaranteed.