1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm in Chicago right now too. Can someone twit him so we can have beers and selfies?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. solodolo

solodolo Member

Ok trumps b**** lol

3. Buck Turgidson

But what this post presupposes is, maybe it does?

4. dc1985

dc1985 Member

Maybe someone could enlighten me. Everyone seems like they want to get Sale from the White Sox. For the price tag they are asking for it just don't see what's so special about him. Would much rather go after Verlander or Archer. Am I missing something about Sale?

5. Buck Turgidson

That's the guy I've been thinking about as a mid-season acquisition. Wouldn't cost as much in prospects and Detroit would have to kick in at least some kind of money. See how he's doing in June and go full Randy Johnson on this year.

6. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I think the astros will go after sonny gray. I think he can be acquired without giving up bregman or springer.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Jeremy Williams

That's my thinking too. Mid-season, however. Gray's value is too low for OAK to sell.

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Oakland with more time to operate would get more in return now than mid-season. With EE or Napoli/Hosmer & Beltran/Fowler/Cain/Braun/etc

Sale and Archer deals are going to be discussed first by everyone searching for starting pitching who are ready to compete. Verlander/Gray/maybe King Felix will field calls. Astros rotation will be fine with the runs this offense will put up

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We are obviously in on Encarnacion and Beltran, I would be curious what the status is on both deals. If Beltran is ready to sign, do we pull out of the EE sweepstakes, or vice versa.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

Eggs, cheese, bacon/sausage/whatever in a tortilla with some salsa...You're not gonna barf that out, yet think the same ingredients scraped out of the bacteria-infested insides of a truck is delicious.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

i think people are overlooking the possibility that they are trying to sign both.

12. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

That doesn't really make sense to me unless they just flat out don't believe in Gurriel

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gattis can be viewed as the backup catcher. If so, it is plausible that Gurriel plus two other need to play LF, 1B, and DH.

14. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

So amid the EE and the Bregman to CWS for Sale rumors, no one thinks it's fishy that Bregman is tweeting about a Bulls game saying "Lets get it".....or more like "Lets get it Chicago"???

Doubt it's coincidental.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His previous tweet mentioned LeBron and Wade. "Les get it" obviously means Bregman thinks Leslie Alexander should trade for them.

16. Jeremy Williams

The only way it makes sense to me is if we move Bregman+prospects for Sale. If we sign EE and Beltran, and move Bregman, it all works out, as far as the starting lineup goes...

The budget on the other hand...how much will Crane commit to spend this year?

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

this is one possibility. another is that they then can use gurriel in a package for pitching

18. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

It seems the team envisions Aoki in LF (or Reddick if they believe in Marisnick).

Agree with the posters that talks about folks moving in trades. I'm just going off the current roster. That doesn't seem to make sense to get both of them with the current roster.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Aoki and Marisnick aren't valuable enough at this time to be written in as starter or even counted to make team. Competition for 4th OF would be a good thing.

#1119 Joe Joe, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Right, because Bregman wouldn't go see a big game in a huge, fun Midwestern city during his off-season? Also, even if Bregman were to be involved in a trade rumor regarding Chicago, why would he all of a sudden just start rooting for the Bulls? Not everything is a conspiracy.