1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Take discusses Harden and Rockets today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Dec 2, 2016.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

What part of Harden's game is inflated? He's proven he can score and has averaged 28 pts a game in entire seasons before. Sure a lot of assists come from lobs to Clint, but why is that inflated? We are not running any faster than the Warriors. Actually, I think our pace is about average in the league.

It's not just this Max guy saying this, there are myriad of other so called pundits are saying we are inflated b/c Dantoni's system. Stephen A was also saying that in the beginning of this season. I guess he has at least watched a few games of Rockets after that.

Pen15clubber and vstexas09 like this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

ESPN has a love affair with Doc Rivers and the Clippers. The Clippers will never win a championship as currently contructed. They just aren't winners.

3. joomba

joomba Member

Watch this video. Max says "Westbrook is my favorite player" and then drools all over WB for how great he has been playing this season - not realizing Harden has been just as good, if not better. But one player is great and the other one is overrated? plz

4. joomba

joomba Member

At least Cowherd hates Westbrook and Harden equally, he prefers less ball-centric players like Durant or Curry and that's fine. But how can you think Westbrook is great but Harden is not is beyond me, the only thing WB does better than Harden is rebounding the ball. Even when Harden is in a shooting slump like now, his average FG% and TS% is still better than Westbrook's. That's how poorly Westbrick shoots most of the time.

Max Kellerman is the worst Rockets and Harden hater in the mainstream media and it's not even close. Barkley and Shaq are nothing compared to this idiot.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

As a boxing enthusiast and avid watcher... Max knows his boxing but his affiliation with HBO has caused him to make some very irrational statements about some fighters. Paulie Malinaggi >>> almost any other boxing commentator as he'll call a spade a spade 11 times out of 10.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Eh. I know I'm supposed to be doing the aggrieved media-hates-us thing. I'm not going to. I mostly agreed with their points, though they were exaggerated for TV. The Clippers are legit this year. The Rockets are only going as far as the defense takes them.

Disagree only that Harden is overrated. He's properly rated (at most) at the moment.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Harden is not overrated but the Rockets are if you think they are chip worthy.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Why are the Rockets overrated??

We lost to the team that have good rim protectors and size. We did pretty OK with smaller team. This is us right now. Why are we over-rated?

9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

If Harden continues to perform this way all season into the playoffs along with the Rox as a team being the ONLY TEAM that's beaten the Spurs and Warriors this year (on the road making it more impressive), then Max can call it all INFLATED for all I care look like a fool when it's over. Who Cares just win baby!

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

not sure why everyone's so upset. They both made reasonable points. The question was "who impressed us more", and basically Max said he expected this from HOU in the regular season so it wasn't impressive, but he didn't think the Clips would be hanging with the champs coming into the season. And Stephen A said he expected the Clips to be good in the regular season like they always are (esp with an improved bench), but he didn't think the Rockets would be as solid as they looked.

All about expectations. They made arguments that are hard to disagree with because they're rooted in personal opinions from 3 months ago. Yet people are still upset..

11. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Right now we are where the ladder has us. 4th best in the west. I had us as the 4th best in the west before the season started. However that standard of our play has so for exceeded my expectations so the credit should go to D'Antoni and the players for buying into his offense.

12. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Wow, where to start:

The biggest comment by Max that got me was when he said D'Antoni's system will make Harden, "better than he is."

I know this is a stretch, comparing apples to kiwi's, but would we say that Phil Jackson made Jordan, "better than he is" Or would anyone say that it is important, for a coach to have a player that works their system to the best, or better than any one else can? Obviously, when Jordan retired in the middle of his career Chicago was still successful, but nowhere near successful as when they had Jordan

Maybe D'Antoni isn't making Harden, better than he is, but maybe Harden fits his system best. Just like Jordan fit Phil Jackson's and Tex Winter's triangle offensive scheme. Also, at this point, in terms of production, Harden is doing better under D'Antoni than Nash did with D'Antoni while in Phoenix.

And no I am not saying D'Antoni is Phil Jackson or Harden is Jordan. But more the comparison of the player finding or fitting in to a system that best accommodates their skill set.

And as much of a Clipper fan Max seems to be I cannot wait until Friday, December 30th when the Rockets take on the Clippers here in Houston. I hope we whip their arse and they talk about that on First Take.

#32 Tdogg, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Richie_Rich and bobloblaw like this.
  13. Emtenndo

Emtenndo Member

IQ dropped watching that.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny thing . . . .people (my self to an extent) . . . .seem to forget that D'Antoni was a hip check away from the NBA Championships
    The 1 spurs ring that was suspect. . . . . .

(Like the suspect Laker ring after the Kings were robbed in game )

Rocket River

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

4-1 road trip, back to back wins against Golden State and in the altitude in Denver. I'm impressed.

16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

How can you make someone better than they are? If they're actually performing at a higher level consistently, aren't they just that good? It's called maximizing potential

Richie_Rich and RudyTBag like this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Was Max trollman dropped on his head as a kid?

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I remember saying taht this max guy was full of crap and got attacked for it