1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your thoughts on Kyle Wiltjer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I, for one, welcome to the 4 great white line up of Harden, DMO, Dekker, Anderson and Wiltjer

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

The bigger question now is will Wiltjer be part of the rotation while DMo remains unsigned? There's an argument for it.

MDA already said he sees Harrell as a 5 in his offense, so that leaves Wiltjer and Dekker as the only backup 4s.

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No. He has no business on the floor during the regular season right now. We have enough offense. We don't need any slow, terrible defensive players out there.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Then who do you suggest they play at the 4 when Anderson sits?

It looks like Brewer and McDaniels will play together off the bench. That means we will need plenty of shooting around them. Playing McDaniels, Brewer and Dekker together is laying a path to bricktown, especially when teams start packing the paint.

A bench of Gordon, McDaniels, Brewer, Wiltjer and Nene could provide enough offense to maintain the lead our starters will build. Youve got playmaking from Gordon and Nene, shooting from Gordon and Wiltjer, slashing from Gordon, McDaniels and Brewer, and fasbreak ability from McDaniels and Brewer.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Rokman

Rokman Member

Let's switch this statement up a bit and see if it creates outrage...

Brown and Payton aren't exactly overlapping skillets.

I get that they're both black guys, but they're not competing for the same roles.

Anyone offended, hurt, mad, wanna call someone a racist? Just curious.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This guy can help us right now.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He will be good for 12-15 pts a game once given playing time.

9. RightTooCensor

His offense is already at the level we need, I really want him to show he can hold his own on defense.

Houtho likes this.
  10. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

I haven't seen him make a 3 yet in the regular season. In fact, he hasn't even scored yet I don't think. He has to at least make a 3 in garbage time to even warrant a thread. I don't see him being better than Troy Daniels....yet.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

D League stats mean almost nothing. Not nothing but almost nothing. There's been some great d league scorers. D League MVPs. I don't know their names. Very few do. Because it doesn't translate.

12. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. You're definitely stretching it there. Teams will eventually stop leaving him forcing him to either drive or post up. That's when his minutes will stop

13. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

The GREAT WHITE HOPE. Until he isn't.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. Wangmuncher

Wangmuncher Member

Honestly, other than rebounding he gives us practically the same thing that Ryan is but we aren't paying that bum 20 mil for the next 4 years. I'd like to see us move ryan and possibly Capela for a legit center or power forward that can actually do some damage on both sides of the court.

basketballholic likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Are you talking about Ryan Anderson or Kyle Wiltjer?

Once a defender commits so heavily to Wiltjer or Anderson that they can't shoot a 3pter, that means they've done their job and Harden is eating the opponent alive.

kevtse likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why are there no videos of Wiltjer passing?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not if he is on the floor with other capable shooters

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Learning the system and improving weaknesses are the point of D-League, not stats. It has greatly benefited Capela, DMo and others in their development.

Wiltjer already fits MDAs system like a glove, and it's not just his shooting. The ball doesn't stick with him. He may not make the assist, but the offense will not stall if he gets the ball and he's not open. He's got Anderson's quick release, but rather than a turnaround jumper, he seems to be more of a faceup guy (which I think is more practical).

More than anything, he need to add muscle and work on his defensive footwork. If he can do both, he's headed toward a big contract in a few years.

19. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

looks soft to me

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Imagine if Wiltjer didn't look so damn goofy.

His back-to -the-basket game is what's most surprising to me. His foot work around the rim and positioning without the ball is fantastic.