1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lol. Wayne and Welker, what a joke

You know if BobbytheMalletFan was a colts fan he'd hate Wayne too, what a terrible fan.

What kind of fan hates the hall of flame players on your own team?

#641 Mr. Clutch, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    TheRealist137, J.R. and RocketTOOL like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Reggie Wayne's advantages are TD's and total yards along with playoff success (which is stupid, but it is what it is, HOF voters are stupid).

Anyway you can think it's unfair, but both guys WILL get in the HOF before Andre Johnson and it's understandable. Also while Andre Johnson is waiting behind guys like Megatron, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, and TO there will be other guys retiring who put him even further back on the list like Larry Fitzgerald and if he's pushed back long enough, the next generation of elite WR's might retire and push him back even further. He's actually closer to a long shot than a slam dunk at this point.

3. Buck Turgidson

Which is better:?:??

The hottest blonde you've ever met, has a PhD..

Or...

The hottest brunette, with an MD?

You insufferable ****ers would argue about this for 23 pages.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but it's not due to actual skill/stats.

Btw- Wayne's yardage/reception advantage is so minuscule, it doesn't deserve mention. Dre has led the league in those areas more than quadruple the times Wayne has.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What kind of PhD?

I mean the answer is almost always the brunette, but I still think that extra information is important.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, fair enough, I'm just letting you know that you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you don't understand what I'm saying is true.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I notice the PhD.. has a period at the end and the MD? has a question mark. That answers the question. It has to be the Blonde with the PhD. as that is on solid ground with not only one period, but two.

8. RocketTOOL

RocketTOOL Member

9th all-time in receptions. 10th all-time in yards. This isn't Hall of Fame worthy?

No Worries likes this.
  9. jbasket

jbasket Member

Why don't yall do tip jar bets on if he is getting in or something instead of just bickering aimlessly?

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Are there plans to retire his number this year?

Gary Kubiak reflects on Andre Johnson's career after retirement

“When it comes to the combination of a player and a person, Andre Johnson may be one of the finest pro football players I've ever been around," Kubiak said Monday. "He’s a great player and obviously put up ridiculous numbers when I was with him. He is a tremendous human being. Andre was drafted by a startup franchise and unselfishly gave Houston everything he possibly had throughout his career. A lot of guys might have been trying to run somewhere else or do something different, but he didn't do that. You put that all together and you have one the most tremendous receivers. I have the utmost respect for Andre and wish him all the best.”

RocketTOOL and Mr. Clutch like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Mr. Clutch

I'd prefer a brunette with a PhD.

Clearly, that combo is the best

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Wait, wait, wait... Reggie Wayne has more receptions, yards and TDs than Andre Johnson. Larry Fitzgerald has more receptions and TDs than Andre Johnson, and by season's end (likely sooner), will have more reception yards, too (he currently trails by 265). Your statement, at least about Wayne and Fitzgerald, is egregiously wrong. Fitzgerald also has a memorable postseason run on his resume, while Reggie Wayne played in 21 playoff games, including two Super Bowls and has a ring. They'll go in before Andre Johnson.

Welker does trail Johnson across the board statistically (you were right about something!) - but you know about a rising tide lifting all boats, right? Remember, this is not agnostic: scrappy, undrafted (coughcoughwhite) Wesley Welker makes all the testicles of fat, lazy (coughcoughwhite) sportswriters tingle; he was Tom Terrific's favorite target for years and played in - I'm going off memory, 7,381 playoff games and won 451 rings. He's a story fat, lazy (coughcoughwhite) sportswriters - who vote on the Hall of Fame - love to write, and I would be willing to bet he gets in before AJ - not because he was better but because fat, lazy (coughcoughwhite) sportswriters are fat, lazy (coughcoughwhite) sportswriters.

This isn't about whether Andre Johnson *deserves* to be in the Hall of Fame; it's about whether he'll get into the Hall of Fame. List all the stats you want: I guarantee you his reputation - again, among the voters - is that he ran up huge numbers for bad teams; a mostly anonymous player on an anonymous franchise with no signature moments of any significance. And if your counter is "yeah, but... week 12 against Jacksonville" or "yeah, but week 2 against Washington" - you've proved my point. None of the writers saw those games; they don't matter.

And remember, this a a group that has been notoriously hard on WRs; Cris Carter, Tim Brown & Andre Reed sat for years without making it. Isaac Bruce (who has a better case than Johnson) and Torry Holt (similar case to Johnson's, except he and Bruce both have rings) are not in. Hines Wards, a gritty Steeler who also has rings and is a media darling, isn't in. Hell, Terrell Owens, who was undoubtedly one of the best WRs of all-time isn't in.

And Andre is going to be on the ballot for the first time with Calvin Johnson, and do you know what the voters are going to see? 83 TDs in 135 games v. 70 TDs in 193 games. It'll immediately invalidate him.

He may eventually get in... but as I've been saying for years, it is going to be a difficult journey.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

The argument is Andre was much better at his peak but Wayne had a longer career to amass more stats.

Andre had 3 seasons above 1,500 yards., Wayne had 1.

Andre had 5 seasons where he averaged over 90 yards per game, Wayne had 1.

Andre had 7 seasons where he averaged over 14 yards per reception, Wayne had 4.

You can also apply this logic to Fitzgerald, Andre had a better peak and beats him handily in receptions and yardage.

And yes, it matters that Wayne generally had a lot more help. Mentioning playoffs when Andre carried an expansion team is unfair.

RocketTOOL likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Uhm... no. Calvin Johnson was better; he's the most feared WR of all-time, and he totaled more yards (9,328 v. 8,708) and significantly more TDs (66 v. 44).

Frankly, Johnson (616 rec; 8,708 yds; 44 TD) wasn't better than

Wes Welker: 745 rec.; 8,237; 47 TD
    Roddy White: 626 rec.; 8,484 yds; 52 TD
    Larry Fitzgerald: 616 rec.; 8,232 yds; 63 TD
    Reggie Wayne: 616 rec.; 8,092 yds; 43 TD

I don't think Texans fan realize that, while great, Andre Johnson was not

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not disputing your assersion on AJ overall, I've always said Fitzgerald and Calvin J are better and other WR's get more buzz than AJ.

AJ has more yards and TD's than Wayne but isn't better? I just don't think Wayne is better even with the playoff games. And same lack of key stats used against AJ down goes against Wayne too for not having enough.

Even with that, I think AJ gets a tad more national respect than it seems. I've seen it HERE before about national player rankings, predicting AJ to be low but he gets placed very high even by the slob sports scribes. I don't think he'll get in too easy though, agree

17. Hey Now!

It's actually just common football sense... we have a pretty crystal clear example this year - look at Stafford, who has seen his numbers improve significantly in the year *after* Calvin Johnson retired; that's due in large part to his not having to feed the Johnson beast - he can spread it around and make better, safer decisions.

Andre Johnson was targeted more than any other WR during his prime because he was, far and away, the best offensive player on the Texans. Do you think, if Aaron Rodgers had been the Texans' QB (and thus, their best offensive player), he would have so consistently targeted Johnson? Jordy Nelson was Rodgers' top WR in '14 and '15, totaling 183 catches, 2,833 yards and 21 TDs. He averaged 139 targets those two seasons. During Andre's two best years ('08 and '09), he averaged 171 targets.

I'm sure I could find more examples (Moss' targets *decreased* when he moved to New England, for example - from 155 to 141; Jerry Rice averaged nearly 20 fewer targets, etc.) - but I feel pretty good about where I stand here because, again: it's common football sense. Great QBs don't have to lean on great WRs; they're talented enough to spread the ball around. So while Johnson may have seen some benefits (better throws), he almost certainly would've been targeted fewer times, negating what is his primary selling point: lots and lots of counting stats.

18. RocketTOOL

RocketTOOL Member

Roddy White...... Wes Welker better than or equal to Andre Johnson? That's BS. If you are arguing that the voters will just look at stats and not go further in depth is one thing, but saying some of these players, on a equal playing field, are as good as Andre Johnson is downright insulting, in my opinion.

Mr. Clutch and J.R. like this.
  19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wayne (and eventually Fitz) have slightly more receptions and yards overall, BUT, Andre blows them away with leading the league in those categories.

League leader receptions
    Andre - 2x
    Wayne - none
    Larry - once

League leader yards
    Andre - 2x
    Wayne - once
    Larry - none

1st All-Pro -
    Andre - 2x
    Wayne - once
    Larry - once

1500-yard seasons -
    Andre - 3x
    Larry - none
    Reggie - once

Andre was more dominant than either player

Yes, Welker>Dre due to politics

Do you think Andre DESERVES to be a HOF?

It's a simple "yes or no" question, but you'll slide-step it.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

All of those guys had fewer yards, and that includes 2007 and 2011 where Andre missed half the season.

Andre was better than Calvin 2007-10, Calvin overtakes 2011-13 (Andre injured 2011).