1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yee, take money to put MORE "big" games on FS1. It's like the Big 12 cares nothing about its brand or long term visibility, just the money at hand today. Please burn it down.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Does the Big 12 realize how much of a horses' ass this would make them look like?

I've never seen such tone-deafness. It's amazing.

3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

If they did all this self-induced dog & pony show crap and end up not expanding, there will be backlash at a level similar to LeBron's "The Decision."

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, I don't want UH in the Big 12 because I don't see the Big 12 surviving much longer due to gross incompetence. It would be like joining the Big East again.....only the Big 12 probably lasts a few more seasons before collapsing. I'd much rather UH go to one of the P4 conferences.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, I've somewhat defended the Big XII for years, but this is absurd. You have enough information to make a decision to expand or not before you make a public talent show between all these schools.

6. vick

vick Member

Well no happy ending in Houston today.

7. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

UH to the Big 12 would mean 6-8 years of power 5 money until the GOR expires. Why wouldn't you want that? Who knows how much longer we can sustain the athletics spending without that extra cash?

8. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Yes they do.

[​IMG]uhbig12sad by Jose Cruz, on Flickr

shastarocket and DonnyMost like this.
  9. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

How do you get more money for a bad product? I can understand the networks wanting to get rid of that clause to pay more money for expansion teams. But wouldn't they also want to protect their current investment? Ratings don't always have to go up as the NFL is experiencing at the moment. The best way to get more viewers is to have more people be invested in the product. By standing pat they just shed viewers or keep the status quo slowly weakening their investment.

10. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Herman's gone now, right? Like zero chance he stays beyond this year... (assuming no expansion).

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You really don't know what you're talking about. The teams and conference are bound together until 2025. No program can exit the conference because the Big 12 owns their basketball and football tv rights in any case. So yeah you're right if you consider about 9 seasons a few. Plenty of things can happen by then as far as expansion is concerned. It will happen eventually.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather look long term. Find a way into a power 4 conference while the Big 12 finishes dying then the program would be set long term. Getting in for a few years before the Big 12 dies and the power 4 conferences start picking schools could end the way it ended when the SWC died, with UH on the outside looking in.

Short term, getting into the Big 12 helps, long term it could hurt.

13. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I think he was gone the moment Charlie Strong let OSU drop 40 on the Horns.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even if they voted to expand, it probably doesn't take effect till 2018 meaning maybe 8 seasons before doing this all again only with the rest of the Big 12 scrambling for a spot in a power 4 conference.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Read my post above. Define a "few." The Big 12 can expand when they want. There is no rush tbh because the only program worth bringing in that is doing well on the football field hurts Texas, OU, Baylor, Tech, and TCU.

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Yeah... I'd take 8 years of Big XII money and so would UH. That's insane to pass up... 8 years is forever.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

it's official, the Big 12 is a f***ing joke. wow.

samtaylor likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not expanding hurts them even worse, it just hammers home the fact that Houston is not Big 12 country. Recruiting here is going to suffer more than it already was.

19. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Not one of the 11 candidates could get 8 votes?

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member