1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The "I Hate Van Gundy" Fan Club

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, Oct 14, 2003.

1. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

First of all Cuttino and Boki won't be around if they keep playing like they do to see a championship. Unless Rox win it all this year.

2. grewqs

grewqs Member

Hope we win tonight so that I don't need join this club. :p

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I was not in favor of Van Gundy at first, but damn, guys, can't some of you not see that he is EXACTLY the coach we need??

Do you people care more about the coach being buddies with the players or the coach trying to get the team better to make the playoffs.

I'm sick and tired of athletes like Francis and Mobley getting free reign to do whatever the hell they want without worrying about the consequences because they had the coach wrapped around their finger. Well, guess what guys? There is a new sheriff in town and your little reign of irresponsible basketball playing is OVER!!

4. tozai

tozai Member

lol about Rudy in Portland. I'd like to see him manage that...

Maybe JVG is coming on too strong and Steve's not liking it too much. The one worry I had about JVG is his offensive x's and o's. I don't care what GM's said. They probably were talking about defense or something because he's never seemed to have very brilliant offenses. However, it's not like we had a even remotely creative offense the last few years.

If Steve does accept his role, I think we'll definitely be a better team and have a better record to show that. That is yet to be decided though.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

God this is old. Mobley needed to be traded, Francis is selfish, Jackson is a scrub, A.Griffin is a scrub, now Jeff Van Gundy sucks. Every freaking day we have somebody complaining about something. I miss the days when people couldn't wait until the season started, and the negative stuff came after a loss, not before the preseason is over. Oh and for the record I'm going to support Jeff Van Gundy because he hasn't done a thing to show we SHOULDN'T support the guy. And for the people turning on Jeff Van Gundy in mass after a few preseason games all I have to say is:

GO JEFF VAN GUNDY, YOU ARE THE MAN! YOU ROCK!

Just to tick people off.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

IF you notice, it's called NY fan syndrom.

7. sweetie

sweetie Member

Heres what I heard, ROCKET RICH is actually CUTTINO !!! So Jeff,if you are offended by this thread,then trade Cuttino. I know Cuttinos way of speaking and personality. I knew he would be the most upset about your slow down offense. And sure enough,ROCKET RICH is complaining about your offense. He also mentians players were upset before training camp. Only a player would know that. He was here in 1999 registered so he is either cato,francis,mobley. Francis said he is cool with you. Cato has no offense anyways,so the only other option is CUttino.

Screw you Cutti...RICH. I heard you wanted to go to Dallas,so thats why you want Rudy to goto dallas. NO rocket fan in his right mind would want Rudy in Dallas our competitor.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How can you start a hate fan club. It's either or, not both.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Seriously, coaches who get away with constantly bashing players in the press usually have rings, like Phil Jackson, or Bill Parcells. I find his constant whinning to the media irresponsible.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So you equate whining to telling the truth? Ouch.

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

how do you take what JVG has said as "whining"? seriously, everyone on this bbs pretty much has agreed on JVG's claims:

1) we don't play hard
    2) we haven't deserved to win
    3) our offense is broken down
    4) steve ends up in tough positions

how is that whining? sounds more like the truth to me. whining would be complaining about something, while looking for excuses. JVG's done none of that. he's just repeated what most of us have been saying for the better part of 4 years.

what he is truly commenting on is the state of the team, immediately post-rudy. the task he has ahead is difficult, and he knows it, yet has come with the mantra of - NO EXCUSES. how is that whining???

:confused:

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Whinning was the wrong word, I just think you will lose your players by going complaining to the media before the season starts and not keeping things in house. Not that he shouldn't be honest about the team, but the guy is already backtracking on statements just a couple of days after making them. Sound's like more of a loose cannon than an honest coach.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm waiting for the official "Get riddy JVG-ey" thread to pop up.

14. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

It's too early to say the rockets will fail. I'll give van gundy til december or january.

15. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

hey sweetie I think you are on to something. Rocket Rich NY is buddy buddy with some of the players and he hates to hear his buds being called out so now he hates Van Gundy. 'thats sweet of him. aint it sweetie..."

#55 Texas Stoke, Oct 14, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  16. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

maybe you should take a chill pill and heed your own advice

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"And then you step like this... and you turn this way, put your shoulder down, drive to the basket, and you've got a dunk."

"Wait. Step. Shoulder. Down. Drive. Dunk. OK, did this work for you un '94? I watch videos of Dream not allowing you do this."

"Yo, Yao, you're missing the point... "

This would be cool at ROX practices... Ewing "teaching" Yao a few lessons...

:D

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What are you talking about? The whole Dunleavy-Brand-JVG speculation doesn't make sense. You say we would have Brand with Dunleavy, but Dunleavy couldn't handle us, then you say there is no point having Brand. How can you speculate any of this? BTW, Griffin does not equal Horry at all.

Sorry to bash you about your post, but saying "Rudy sucked," I had to say something.

19. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

I hate to post on this one, and I almost didn't based soley on the fact that people in the BBS overreact way to much. Honestly, it is the preseason and he is a new coach, so give Jeff a little line. However, I wasn't the biggest fan of his comming here. Or maybe I just dont like the roster moves that where made during the off-season. I might be wrong about both, which is probably why I am typing this as opposed to actually making the decisions, but I doubt it.

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

I posted this on another thread, and I thought it was worth posting it here as I suppose some of you bashers are probably going to change your minds after reading today's "update" on JVG's speech:

Seriously, I'm in complete AWE of Van Gundy.

I will hold short of calling him a genius until we actually see some results but what we are seeing is truly the work of a superior intellect. Sure he might not sound as intellectual as Phil Jackson, but the guy is CLEARLY manipulating the players minds to get them to commit to his agenda as if it was of their own freewill.

He is dealing with the egos masterfully, specially Francis. I was already a fan after last night, and now, Í'm true believer. He is challenging them in a way they certainly can understand, and unless they are the Tin Man of Oz or don't have blood pumping through their veins, they WILL respond.

Steve Francis WILL get it. I have faith. And we won't need to trade him short of the perfect trade (Francis+Griffin for J. O'Neal/Tinsley).

It seems that we have GREATLY underestimated JVG's smarts when we thought that he was simply burning the bridges between him and Francis for good. This is good. This is GREAT. Larry Brown certainly WOULDN'T be capable of dealing with the situation as he is dealing.

Simply put, we have the right coach for this team. And if it DOESN'T work, then it wouldn't work no matter who was in the driving seat.

If you ask me, I have a hunch it will. Let's wait and see.