1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-Stanford Swimmer gets 6 Months in Assault of Unconscious Woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BabyClutch, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The "hide your kids, hide your wife and hide your husband" song guy needs to do a remix for this dude.

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

In this thread, you won't find a single alt-right poster anywhere.

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

It's quiet in here.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Well this situation is actually a weird bizzaro world of how the right and left usually sees things in the criminal justice system.

Usually more liberal government have almost always advocated rehabilitation and restorative justice in the the criminal justice system. Harsh punishments and long prison terms have almost always been frowned upon, and rightly so imo by most criminal justice scholars.

This is the first time I've seen so many people on the left calling for someone's head and actually asking longer sentences for someone. I always hear about complaints that keeping people in prison is a waste of tax payer's money, prison provides no rehabilitation and does not reduce re-offending rates. etc etc

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is not true. We are fighting police brutality and calling for bad police to be put in jail. Guaranteed if it were one of those threads the alt right would be up and through it.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm a believer in shorter sentences for first-time offenders. I would have gone longer on Brock because he didn't take a plea deal, but it isn't the worst thing that he got a chance to live a successful life rather than wasting money and becoming a product of the justice system.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

There are people who steal pieces of candy (Mostly Minorities) who spend more time in prison. Not only does he deserve to do more time but he needs to stand as an example for people doing the same thing otherwise its just a rape free for all.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's just mob justice, which is exactly what most researches tries to avoid. Longer sentences as a deterrent or to set an example is a myth of the right wing, according to liberals anyway. and researches do show that prison sentence as a deterrent do not have significant effect on future offending rates.

What people should fight for is for minorities to get lighter sentences, not to even things out on white people.

The judge used mitigating factors to shorten the guy's sentence because keeping him in prison would just ruin his life in the future, and really does nothing to society other than using more of government's resources.

9. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

As if keeping other (minorities) in prison longer doesn't ruin their life? And for lesser offenses? Sorry but IMO rape is just as evil as murder and should be sentenced as such. And to do so to someone who can't fight back because she is unconscious?? I do hope this follows him wherever he goes.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You are laboring under the impression that it has to be one or the other. Minorities, hell everyone should stop getting ridiculous sentences for non violent offenses AND rapists need to be put away for at least 8 -10 mandatory for their crime. Most rapists barely serve time as it is. Whats does that say about us as a country?

11. Major

Major Member

One problem here is that his sentence doesn't really do anything as far as rehabilitation goes. The "feeling" is that he's just getting away with it, and it just reinforces the notion that rich / successful people play by different rules and can get away with things. So in effect, the sentence almost feels like it makes him MORE likely to commit the crime again.

12. Major

Major Member

"Liberals" also tend to be more up in arms about long sentences for non-violent crimes (drugs, theft, etc) moreso than they complain about things like long sentences for murder, rape, etc.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Bobbythegoof lives on ClutchFans 25/8 and somehow hasn't posted in this thread.

Typical.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's face it, if Brock was a black person he'd be facing years.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Probably, I mean most people agree that minorities or people without money gets much harsher/unfair treatment from CJS. How does getting this guy a longer sentence even solve the problem.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't agree with this. And since you're not alone in feeling that way, I have to say that I think society's habit of putting rape on the same level as murder really makes it more difficult for victims to heal. I mean, you're essentially telling victims that their attack was the absolute worst thing that could possibly ever happen to them. I don't know how helpful that is.

Rape occupies a unique space between sex and assault, and I would argue that our socially regressive attitudes towards female sexuality and 'chastity' not only creates a more difficult environment for victims, it actually creates MORE (self-identifying) victims in those cases where a person's ability to consent comes into question. I'm not saying those victims don't experience trauma or shouldn't receive justice as the laws are clear, but just that the aforementioned trauma has as much to do with psychological conditioning as the sexual encounter. Piggybacking on that, I think attitudes towards gender roles also almost certainly discourage male victims from stepping forward (and there are A LOT of male victims, particularly among adolescents and teens).

So far as I can tell, the biggest reason why society doesn't get outraged when an attractive female teacher sleeps with a young boy is because we raise children to have vastly different attitudes towards sex based on their gender. And while I believe that this obviously has a detrimental effect on how many women perceive their sexual agency, the fact that women can get pregnant and men can't really does make it difficult for me to decide to what extent that should change.

With all that said, no matter the reasons, again you can't discount the trauma experienced by victims, and you shouldn't base a prison sentence on how it's going to affect the future of the perpetrator (who frankly forfeited those considerations by committing the crime, IMO). Turner should have gotten a real sentence, years plural at least. But it needs to be said that there are plenty of female rapists who have received equally ridiculous sentences without any press coverage, and I think our attitudes about sex need to change if we're really concerned about serving victims of all genders.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO Clutchfans is his entire life I think, lol. Lets be real here, none of us should surprised by the like of alternate universe elephants in this thread. I suspect they are all too busy burning kaepernick jerseys.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you think all rapes should only get a few months and a warning? You must not have any daughters or sisters or a mother.

19. juicystream

The problem is seeing this sentence as too light rather than thinking other sentences are too heavy.

If anybody is going to feel there is a rape free for all, it is going to be because most sexual assaults are never reported, not because some guy got a relatively light sentence for fingering a girl who was passed out. 3 months in jail, registering as a sex offender, and going on probation wouldn't be worth it to any sane person.

20. juicystream

The guy will also be on probation and a registered sex offender. Not to mention what will pop up every time his name is typed into Google.

And I think there are varying degrees of assault/rape.