1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If I am the astros, I would trade Springer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Teams also aren't going to give up plus pitching for Springer alone... it would require Springer + a younger pitching prospect or just a young pitcher (like McCullers).

Springer is a very valuable player... but he is 26, he's not necessarily a guy you build a franchise around, and will probably reach his apex either next year or the following year.

Also, they're not going to get that much better as a big league team... if you decide to trade other key members of the big league team. The guys to trade are the minor leaguers, and the trading partners looking to unload high-priced quality pitching are typically looking to get younger/high-ceiling/high-potential guys.

2. Nook

Nook Member

What the hell is wrong with you?

You are severely underestimating George Springer's value.

He isn't a free agent for 5-6 more years.

He plays centerfield at a gold glove level.

He hits for power and gets on base.

There are very few players that can do all the things he can do.

He is top 10 in WAR in the AL and is on pace for a 6 WAR season which is elite.

He also is likely to get even better.

So unless you think you can get Chris Sale for him, it would be dumb to trade him.... It would also leave the Astros with zero proven outfielders next season.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If he was easily replaceable, you'd think we'd be getting at least somewhere close to the same production out of LF & CF.

I'm just hoping Teoscar proves he deserves one of the 3 OF spots next year. Would really love for White/Reed to prove at least one of 1B/DH is taken care as well, but ugh.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

4 more years. He starts his Super 2 arbitration this winter.

5. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reed is fine. Maybe a little too selctive right now, but he has been adjusting and is starting to produce.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think the pitching situation is quite as dire as some of you do. A rotation starting with Keuchel, McCullers, Musgrove could be pretty good. Maybe trade for a solid arm to be on the safe side. Round it with McHugh or Devo

While having multiple dominant arms is clearly the easiest way to win a WS, plenty of teams have won without dominant front end pitching. I think Springer is far too good to trade unless we are sure pitching gonna be the primary issue moving forward. 1 week ago the lineup was the catastrophic issue while the pitching had been pretty solid.

You only rob Peter to pay Paul if Peter is clearly loaded to surplus.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If you completely forget the opinion that Springer is easily replaceable..

this thread is borne out of "Springer isn't all that great...but I think a bunch of MLB GMs will pay as if he's great". Right.

8. UND3RxOATH

UND3RxOATH Member

Springer is the core. Wtf is this.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

As much as I don't like the bumps and bruises now, I think giving this group a couple more developing seasons might help more than roster churn. Hard seasons make hardened veterans. I think they have a lot of young guys with a lot of upside left. No need to overreact.

If I'm moving springer anywhere it's out of the lead off spot.

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Well it's a good thing you're not the Astros

1 person likes this.
  11. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Another what thread...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. htownbball

htownbball Member

I think Springer will actually get better. He's cutting down on the strikeouts and while still streaky, he's been much more consistent than his first 2 years.

30 home run power
    80 walks
    gold glove level defense
    .800+ OPS
    20+ steal ability

Right now there are 23 outfielders in the majors with an .800+ OPS, so about 25%. Out of those, it looks like 13 of those will hit 30 home runs.

Is he really that replaceable? If he can get his average up around .270, I don't know how you trade him unless you get a #2 type pitcher.

Our offense is really streaky and has a lot of gaps. I don't think we're really in a position to trade someone with the type of power that he brings to our lineup. If Keuchel, McCullers, Musgrove, McCugh, and Fiers are healthy and pitching like they're supposed to, I'd rather hold on to Springer.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I'm twisting the topic around a bit.

Besides Altuve & Correa.

It is pretty obvious McCullers is the most untouchable player. What one player would you put him in a deal for ?

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

On April 25 what posts that Bregman is 'ready for the show'

On July 27 what says Bregman wasn't ready and that he (what) 'called' it. Furthermore, what said he was 2 years away from contributing

On August 2 what says that Bregman needs to be sent back down.

Today what says that Bregman (along with Altuve and Correa) is the offense

1 person likes this.
  15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It truly depends on the nature of the injury and how "at risk" they deem the next few years / rest of his career. If they're concerned "enough" (whatever that means..hard to say without having some info to work from), I hope they move him in a package for a top line pitcher like Sale. (And no, Archer doesn't fall in the category that I'd move LMJ for.)

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What?

17. what

what Member

Thanks for replaying my hits.

However, just because I think bregman needs to be sent down doesn't mean that I think he isn't going to be a star. Conversely, just because I think that he is a core player to the offense, doesn't mean that I think he has arrived.

This is classic board. If I don't universally-praise a player from the moment he is brought-up (especially as it relates to highly-touted rookies) somehow that means that I have no business JUMPING ON the bandwagon once he starts playing well.

At some point in the future bregman was going to be great. But hey, if you thought bregman was ready even after he went 0 for 38 or whatever it was: good for you. You can call yourself oh what's the word I'm thinking of: a bregman homer!

18. underrated015

underrated015 Member

We need to develop guys instead of trading them away for older guys.

19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Another knee-jerk thread on CF. Who saw that coming? Another goofball to put on the ignore list.

Isn't this supposed to go on "Random trade ideas"? This doesn't require a new thread.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Glad you're not the GM.

That would be idiotic.