1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uber - Anyone Uber on the side?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 15, 2016.

1. The Law

The Law Member

I work nights on my nights off I have been getting out and getting a few fares to help pay off the wife's new car. She had a VW Jetta TDi and with the mess with VW, her trade in value plummeted so we decided to just keep the extra vehicle. It's nice that it gets in the 45-55 MPG. Good way to pass the time after the wife and kids go to bed and my body is wide awake.

Side note, My "funny Uber story" is the 2 drunk 21 year old girls I picked up in midtown around closing time who I watched take bumps in the back seat during the ride. They turned pale white and went silent later on in the ride when the topic of conversation brought up that my main gig was being a cop. Great times.

1 person likes this.
  2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Haha, wow. Were you cool about it?

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My *****h. Did you smash?

4. The Law

The Law Member

I didn't have any reason not to be. I'm a cop 40 hours a week, I try to take that hat off when I get home and just be me. Now if I see someone getting hurt, beat, ect right in front of me then that's a different story.

5. NateNate

NateNate Member

I know a few officers and they always brag about second/overtime jobs available to them as an officer. Is this overstated?

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Is there anything like that in Texas for speeding? Sometimes I peek above 100 here and there on 288 on sunday mornings. I know up to 20mph over is okay...but what about 30 and 40 lol...

7. The Law

The Law Member

Secondary employment has its rewards, the pay is always pretty nice. However, having a secondary employment like Uber that doesn't require me to wear a uniform and without the stress of the job is nice. I'm used to driving 8-12 hours a day at work, so driving around a few hours in my person vehicle is a piece of cake.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

What kind of money are you earning on Uber? I mentioned earlier on amazon flex not being able to get shifts... Is it easier on Uber?

9. The Law

The Law Member

It depends on when you are driving. Most of mine is late at night on prime nights so I get the benefits of surge pricing. If I am driving the Jetta, I can average 25-30 dollars an hour. If I am using my Acadia I can make 35-40 an hour using UberXL.

That's a very gross average, however. Like any business of that nature, you get probably 1 or 2 nights a month where things work out in your favor and you bring home 150-250 bucks for 3-4 hours of driving

10. The Law

The Law Member

I haven't looked into Amazon though. I live in the Pearland area. Would I have to go into Houston to get business or could I stay in the burbs and actually make money doing it?

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Aren't you guys afraid of bringing strangers into your car? I know it's great money, but what if the guy/girl pulls a gun/knife on you? Then what?

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

I would be more worried about drunkies puking in my car than anything else.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta live life bro. Can't be concerned with the what ifs!

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It would be kind of stupid to act up in an Uber. You have to provide personal info to the app including card info. You are also rated as a customer and if you get too many low reviews you can be banned.

15. hlcc

hlcc Member

Never underestimate the stupidity of some people. Why these

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

16. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

About 30 minutes. I'm in San Diego. It's expensive to live here. Gas is over $3 per gallon in my neighborhood. The driver is probably going to have to drive a ways before he gets another fare. Then drive home. Maintenance, gas, car washes, devaluation, time. Hard to believe so many people seem willing to drive at these rates.

17. TheresTheDagger

Started last night when UBER finally went live in Billings, MT (where I live). Made about $240 total (including tips) the last 2 nights and spent maybe $40 in gas. The gas bill is because I drive too damn much. Gonna start parking with the app on and wait for the rides to cut down on mileage and gas.

But other than that...pretty impressed how easy it is to make some side cash.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Isn't there still a problem that your car is not covered by insurance the moment you accept a pickup -- unless you have business-use insurance?

19. TheresTheDagger

Uber covers all with insurance they provide while the ride is taking place.

20. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

If anyone is interested in working for Uber, Amazon, Get Me, Favor...you can apply at www.ridesharekings.com for several app base service gigs, you can also sign up for free credits for these same services.