1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Night Of

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, May 2, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

haha! It's pretty cool...and she was a b**** again.

Well, Gandolfini was originally set to play John Stone, and John Turturro (who plays John Stone) is her cousin.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When are they investigating who actually did it?

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why would they . . . . this case is a slam dunk

Rocket River

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah I thought the OP suggested this to be more like True Detective and not a legal show.

I am ok with both but really thought it would go down the investigation\"detective work" route after the pilot.
    ;)

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is more of . .. "How does he get out of this" tale than anything
    Cause . . . honestly . .. . If I was on a Jury .. .
    barring something bizarre or someone coming forward saying they did it .. . .
    i'd be like it was jail time for him.

There are people on Death Row with more Reasonable Doubt than him

Rocket River

6. Apps

Apps Member

I have to imagine that, for the sake of drama, there will be some new evidence coming to light. I think this most recent episode really went out of its way to show that the stepdad was up to something, given his recorded argument at the funeral.

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

4 shows in and I thought the plot would have opened up a little more by now in terms of who committed the damn murder.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

my rich white male prediction is looking more plausible

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I think too many expected this show to be a "whodunnit", when it is actually more about the inner-working of the justice system.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yep, that's really what the show is more concerned about than the actual murder. Like someone mentioned above, in real life this case would be a pretty open and shut matter with all the evidence pointing to a clear suspect.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm amazed you were able to type this with a half-chub. When that's confirmed, you'll be able to type a lot more accurately.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure. Justice system.

A second suspect would get the monkey off Naz' back though.

From his POV it is the only thing he can try.

And hire back the Stone guy. John Turturro is hilarious btw

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I recall you being less concerned with whodunnit as concerned with how they preach to us about islamaphobia. You're waaayyy wrong about that. Nothing anywhere close to that prediction. He's just another guy in the system. Actually, Omar likes him because he's a college kid.

Enjoy the show and please don't try to preach to us again

14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

If this thread is a reflection of how many people are watching I feel it's a disservice to both the show and the potential viewer. This show has been great, a relief from the typical violent enthralled stories that are every where.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I just started watching. I think that kid could be a majority of Clutchfans. I don't know how many white hot ass girls would take someone like that home to bang. That is the most unrealistic part of the whole show.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not sure if I follow some people's point of view.

The audience was introduced to the kid. We were given the insight to pretty much know he didn't do it (unless it's some silly explanation like he was completely 100% blacked out at the time). Because of this, we have come to like him and root for him to be exonerated. So of course some of us care more about finding out who did it than just being a documentary on the justice system.

I admit there's been a few interesting details that were touched on in the past 3 episodes that maybe taught me something new. Does a good job making you see the minutiae and indifference of the system. But the main focus of late has been the prison drama aspect. Does anyone really think this show has done anything new or ground-breaking to say with regards to a prison drama?

If the show was really about the criminal justice system, then why not just show a dude committing a crime of passion and then follow that guy instead of a pretty contrived 1-in-a-billion type case that isn't going to reflect the norm at all?

Just not sure if I'm buying that this show is simply a criminal justice system dramatization. At least I hope that's not all it is. The fourth episode has kind of hooked me back again after the weak 2nd and 3rd episodes. Hope there's less of the re-hashed prison drama in the next couple of episodes, but it seems unlikely.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Come on, that dude could have landed someone at the party.

Probably a nerd chick, a friend of a friend. lol

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Getting hooked up at the party would be believable, but not some random hot white chick.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hope the concept is to show that Guilt or Innocence is irrelevent
    CAN YOU WIN . . is the big issue

Whether he did it or not. . . the path of least resistance is that he did it.
    The Lawyers all see it.
    It is easier to put him in prison and close the case

The Moral of this story is like Training Day
    It's not what you know .. . its what you can prove

at this point . . .he really cannot prove he did not kill her.
    his only alibi is .. . i blacked out.
    Who would believe that?

Rocket River

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still there is a difference between Manslaughter of all degrees and Murder of all degrees.

I am literally yelling at the screen when watching how drugs and narcotics are downplayed here.

Nasir: He is going with the phrase "We drank", he just mentioned drugs once or twice, and has not mentioned ecstasy and coke.

He does not have a motive though.