1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Restaurants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 29, 2016.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Are there still Taco Diner's in Houston? That place is an atrocity. Yes there are worse TexMex places, but I have no respect for a place that charges you two dollars for a CANNED Coke with no free refills. 15 dollar plates for very very mediocre TexMex plates. If it wasn't for their Mambo Taxi's they could burn for all I care.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

El Real sucks. Agree

For a great CFS, go to Ousie's for the chicken fried tenderloin

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I tend to stay away from buffet restaurants, like most Chinese restaurants, CiCis Pizza and Golden Coral. Most of them turn out to be places where you can eat as much mediocre food as you can stand. There must be a market for this type of thing, since these places stay in business.

Truly horrible restaurants don't stay in business for long.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Avoided Ouisie's for so long. Just not my vibe. Finally tried it one day and it went HARD. Underrated southern cooking. Haven't had the CFS yet but I bet it's A+.

5. Buck Turgidson

Ousie's is the best restaurant cfs I've ever had. Nice to know they're still around.

I'd heard really good things about El Real, never been but good to know I can skip it next time I'm in town and just go back to Teotehuacan or El Tiempo.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Just lol.

CFS is the schitstain on an otherwise solid Texas cuisine.

"hmmm... let me take a terrible cut of meat, and fry it in Crisco!"

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This.

Nothing wrong with having low grade meat, but lets not pretend its a premium cuisine.

8. Buck Turgidson

See, you've obviously never had a proper cfs.

Next thing you know, you'll be putting beans and chocolate in your chili spaghetti, laughing at pecan pie and pissing on the Alamo. Go back to Russia.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We can agree on the chocolate chili spaghetti. I did a tour of duty in Cincy and recognize that is some nasty, nasty schit.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Never even made my own CFS before. Going to try this recipe sometime within the next month or so:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/chicken-fried-steak-2/

I like to make something "fun" every other weekend (or when time permits). This weekend it's a bone-in pork chop recipe I found. After that I'll deep fry some shrimp. Then, sometime after that, Chicken Fried Steak.

1 person likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, Blue Bonnet iirc used to be a lot better, but I haven't been out to it in probably 10 years, I heard it's still okay I think. I know at one time... Strangely enough there was a decent restaurant in Jonestown but that must have been 20-25 years ago and is long gone. CFS is hard to find (well prepared correctly at least), and that's odd considering it's not some crazy cuisine.

I've pretty much given up on cfs unless it's at home or I get lucky and remember the spots in Austin area, hahah (currently drawing a blank). Lately I've been grilling at home. Hell a decent steak lately is expensive vs home (I mean if you want good quality etc. ).

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree with everyone else, primal pasta is the worst food I think I have ever eaten in Houston

Don't get the hat for el real, they definitely have some good food, can't get whole fish fajitas many other places

Ouise's on the other hand is one of the most overrated restaurants in the city. definitely nothing special there, everything is just ok, lots of bland stuff

What? Southern Italian food is largely seafood based

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nasty Restaurants: Anything along the side roads of 290 like N Houston Rosslyn Road. Also on 249 S after the beltway. You're ok from Willowbrook further North

Over-rated restaurants: El Pueblito, Pondicherry, La Tapatia

14. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Red Lobster, but if you are black you like that place.

15. Pete the Cheat

is "anything owned by Tillman Fertita" too general a statement?

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Mo's bbq on 1960 in Humble. Terrible food

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Just came in to chime in that El Real sucks. Don't understand why people like it so much.

18. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Well glad my restaurant isn't on any of your guys lists.

Yes El Real is just not that good, I don't know why the place has such good reviews. Boggles me.

BW3 has gone down hill in quality, also the Pluckers here in Houston is so much saltier than the one in Austin. It is only 3 hours away why did they change the formula so much.

The worst for me would have to be that Mala Sichuan next to El Real, the prices are so expensive for the food you get. The food wasn't very good on top of that.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the worst restaurant in recent memory was at legoland in windsor, england. food was worse than a 70's swanson's frozen dinner

20. Buck Turgidson

Here's another one: http://www.texasmonthly.com/category/topics/vittles/

They started publishing a recipe every month a couple of years ago, the few I've used as a rough guideline all definitely check out.

Yep, they moved from homemade stuff to Sysco (I ****ing hate canned vegetables) about 20 or so years ago (when my relatives sold it, /humblebrag). I typically only eat there for the occasional omelette and hashbrowns or when somebody is visiting and just HAS to go there.