1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA about to snatch All-star game away from Charlotte

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 21, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Silver is a hypocrite and there must be more to this, though it could be good PR for himself.

2. nono

nono Member

Don't watch basketball but this was really nice.

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

This, China wouldn't get this treatment from Silver. It's about $$$$$

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Let's all just pray that the superbowl hurries up and gets here. This is going to be the longest 198 days ever.

5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

NBA moves 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte over HB2; 2019 return possible

6. varughese.arun

Very smart move by the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Wgas about the all star game:confused:

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, you may have noticed that the new TV deal... oh wait a minute. Nope, looks pretty solid actually. Better than ever.

Also can't believe people are still saying the law was just about bathrooms. But that's best left to the D&D, I guess. The law covered more than that, and it's been detailed ad nauseum elsewhere, and that's why people are making business decisions in response to it. Not because they are stupid at business and stupid at reading laws. Sorry.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The NBA is a private business, and made a business decision based on what they believe to be in its best interest.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not surprised this happened after Lin left them.

11. tksense

tksense Member

Yep, and for those talking about China, pls enlighten us what do you know about their discriminatory practices and human rights abuses?

I can read for myself, yes, so I'm rather asking for your take on it since you seem to have a problem with it, or with the Nba promoting itself there.

Going back to ivanyy's point, so if NBA needs to stop its China business, then NBA also needs to stop promoting itself in the United States because US cops shoot black ppl for no reason... happy?

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

BS if you ask me. Why stop with the AS game, suspend all NBA games from being played in Charlotte, move the Hornets to Las Vegas until NC rescinds that law. :rolleyes:

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the concept of the NBA not tolerating backwards laws, but this really sucks for the city of Charlotte and it's fans. They're getting punished for something that happened at the state level.

Part of the reason we all love sports is that there are no politics involved. So while I strongly disagree with any law affecting gender equality, it is a shame that the NBA let a law that the City and ownership had no part of have such a negative impact on sports.

I'm just really torn on the issue. Also is Silver gay? Wouldn't be surprised if this is a really personal issue for him.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

hahah, thanks, as usual, for letting us know how the less educated rationalize things like this.

Over in reality, where LGBT rights are actually a thing that people care about, and the NBA is overflowing with cash - the NBA is doing this because it has market power not because it lacks it. And it's using it for something good - to screw the bigots.

The NBA is fighting a battle it can actually win - HB2 isnt' going to last very long in NC and like civil rights and gay rights battles before it- one side is going to win, and another side is going to lose. HB2 is being brought down because businesses like the NBA are taking a stand against it.

The NBA meanwhile doesn't really have the same leverage agaisnt China to free Tibet - so it doesn't fight that battle.

So what? :confused: Mandela didn't free Tibet either -neither did Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King. What they did do is fight & win for people who were oppressed and made their lives better - that is what the NBA is helping to do here in a very small way.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ah yes, the old "you support gay rights, so you must be a queer" line.

Embarrassed for you.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

A private company is exercising it's first amendment rights. Whoopty-doo.

I'll point out, though, no fans were hurt in the making of this political stunt. Regular fans don't get to attend the All-Star Game. The tickets are mostly doled out to NBA people, celebrities, and people the NBA wants to court. Charlotte loses out, I suppose, on some convention dollars for local restaurants, hotels, and strip clubs.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Paypal did the same thing. Paypal does business worldwide and I don't see you crying about it. They chose to stop an expansion into Charlotte specifically because of HB 2 http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article70001502.html

They mixed business with politics and sorry to inform you but the NBA is a business.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Isn't every major business that hires lobbyists "mixing business and politics"?

It just chafes people when it hits one of their pet issues in a way that bothers them.

And I understand. If the NBA wanted to locate all-star games only where there was legalized discrimination, that would, for instance, annoy me, even if it was just to the betterment of their business. But I like to think I would still acknowledge their right to put the stupid game wherever they want it.