1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. sabesque

sabesque Member

[​IMG]

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i was just saying though to point out that particular number isn't really high

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

no that's not the same

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

the amount of overall touches is way more than DH. post touches is only a minor part of the game especially with the way it is played today

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

They are stat watching verses actually watching the game.

6. sabesque

sabesque Member

As I understand it, post touches requires a catch in the paint, and it only takes into consideration HIS turnovers. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of turnovers in the post-entry attempt (i.e. James trying to get the ball to dwight and them misconnecting, etc).

My point is, when we think about Dwight's complaint about not being involved in the offense enough, we use Post Touches. But even though he leads the league in post touches, I don't think that stat FULLY reflects how often we tried to get him involved in the offense.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Jumping in the middle here but...

Are you advocating giving Dwight the ball outside of the post? I think if anything Dwight got the ball too much last year. If he's upset about it then that just reflects his own delusions about his abilities.

8. sabesque

sabesque Member

I see what you're saying, but I think when Dwight thinks about "being involved in the offense" he things about post plays being run for him. I mean he said in an interview that he does not (did not?) have confidence in his jumper, he's never been a high-post passer, and he rejected the PnR. He wanted post touches.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm just commenting on what is being discussed here as far as touches which seems to be shifting but post touches and overall touches etc.. But in the end I don't agree with thinking Dwight got the ball too much last year. In fact, the Rockets were largely perimeter oriented but for me its understood with how the game is played today. But to say DH got the ball too much isn't something I agree with though.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah that's what I believe it also came down to. Couple that with losing only made matters worse this past year. The year before when DH returned from injury during the season, he was transitioning into less touches but the rockets had a good season at the time. winning cures all at the end of the day.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How did this DMo news thread become a topic-less, free-for-all to the point of devolving to Steph Curry, Cousins and Dwight discussions.

It appears to have started with Onuaku and Nene signed and someone asked about the minutes distribution of bigs in the event we sign DMo.

There is now a Minutes for Bigs thread. Can we move that talk there? And just cease with the Howard crap.

pretty please. DMo is about to get signed. I get excited everytime this thread is bumped...then frustrated that we are talking about freaking Dwight Howard.

:(

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dwight didn't get the ball enough last year. No doubt.

If he committed to the pick and roll like he should have because that's what he's good at, he would have gotten the ball more.

13. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Being my 7 yr old niece has more shooting range than Dwight and he can only score in the post, for him, that number is 100% relative because he has no other game than the post.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Every thread is really a Ricky Rubio thread. Some are just more obvious than others.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, when your free agency suitors include a minimum qualifying offer and zero offer sheets, it's pretty hard to fill this space with discussion otherwise.

Officially, at least, Terrence Jones has gotten more action than DMO in Free Agency since this thread started.

16. sabesque

sabesque Member

I think it's relevant because the discussion is about Rockets bigs, the role of post plays within our team.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Exactly. Dwight led all centers in post touches, but he didn't come close to leading them in offensive touches (which is what Mav-Hater claimed).

It may seem nitpicky, but unless corrected, these kinds of misstatements have a way of turning into narratives.

For instance, you'd be surprised how many people believe that Scottie Pippen took the 1994 Bulls (without Jordan) to the ECF.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Nobody committed to the pick and roll. Why? Because teams scouted it well and pretty much shut that part of our offense down. If we had big men at that time (before the Beasley signing) who could consistently hit the mid range jumpers. It would have still worked for us.

19. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Oh big whoop! Howard had 0.4 more post touches than Andre Drummond per game. I'm not a big Howard fan, but he should have 4 more touches per game than Drummond.

Geez 8.4 post touches... 2.1 per quarter. WTF. You pay a guy $22 mil per to be your 2nd best player so you better give him more than 2.1 post touches per quarter. No wonder he only had 8.5 FGA per game compared to 12 and 12.5 the previous two seasons.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's a stretch...in a DMo news thread. Hell, we could also justify talking about the role of PGs in helping the bigs and which bigs can benefit the most from Bev or Harden or Rubio.

amirite

nah, this is classic hijacking a thread out of boredom to discuss something entirely different.

anyhoot: Someone started a Bigs Rotation thread yesterday, presumably to move that talk there.

:(