1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get ready for PointBeard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It sounds like what people want is another creator on the floor.

That has nothing to do with the SG/PG distinction

2. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Can I get some ReboundButter with it?

3. basketballholic

Nothing. Actually he's been the pg for two years now. Won't work. Harden needs to play the 3. And will play the 3a lot under MDA.

4. Mr. Clutch

Point Forward Beard?

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Harden (or Les rather) said Harden's defense suffered greatly because he carried the scoring/offensive load. The theory I suppose is with MDA, EGO, Andersen, the scoring burden is lessened for harden and so he should be able to play both sides of the court more.

Now normally i'd be skeptical, but we all know Harden is capable of being a good defender if he puts in the effort. If he's going to officially be more the play maker/PG assist man, distributing the scoring burden to shooters + he can actually play some defense I could see him running with EGO and Anderson assuming Cap/Ariza/Harden play with stout defensive effort.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Do not want, beard too pointy.

But seriously... He was already the pg... Defining positions is pointless sometimes .... Bev likely starts to keep him happy and because he's not going to come off the bench and provide a scoring spark, which is what we need.

Makes more sense to just rotate those three and make sure one of Gordon or harden is always on the floor so our offense doesn't bleed out..

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Kinda wish we'd signed Courtney Lee on a reasonable deal.

OK shooter, decent defender, could cover the PG next to Harden.

8. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think that's what the Rockets were doing when the went after Kent Bazemore

9. Mr. Clutch

Exactly.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

My primary concern is with ball movement. Will adding quality shooters allow or encourage everyone to share the ball more?

We really lost something when Parsons left, and I'm not sure adding Gordon and Anderson has adequately addressed our lack of slashers in the offense. If we want multiple actions in the offense, we need guys that can and will attack the rim.

We have space now. We can stick Bev and Ariza in the corners (both are above average corner shooters), Anderson at the wing, and then roll some PnR with Harden/Capela or PnP with Anderson and/or Gordon. You've also got some bigs that are good post passers (DMo, Capela, and Nene). But who besides James will drive and then either finish at the rim or kick it back out?

Basically, my question is how does Ariza fit? All you can really do with him now is stick him in a corner because Harden, Gordon and Anderson are going to dominate the wings. He's also not someone that can push the pace.

Space? Solved. Pace and slashers? Still very much in question.

1 person likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

The same MDA who just said he wants to play Harden at PG?
    <BR>

12. basketballholic

No. The one who is actually going to coach the team.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I do agree with this. We need playmakers that can drive and finish or drive and dish. I think Dekker fits the bill if keeps playing under control and has a reliable 3 point shot. Gordon can be somewhat of a slasher but not sure I want him in the paint too often due to injury. I think Ariza has been a good slasher just not finishing all that well lately. Maybe more space will allow Ariza to get to the rim without as much resistance especially since Dwight's man won't be clogging the lane all the time. Add Andersen at the 4 and it makes it easier to finish in the lane or dish off for a dunk.

If Brewer can return to the guy we got last year, he will be a solid slasher on this team but of course he only looks for his shot but will be effective if we do run more this year so he can get easy baskets in transition. Hopefully he remembers how to play the game of basketball this year. If not, you throw KJ out there and hope he can develop into at least a positive asset.

14. hakeemthagreat

Thank god

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

MOAR Combo Guards, please.

16. atamirisa

atamirisa Member

Glad if this theory turns out to be true. I don't think the pg as a playmaker is necessary anymore, since there seems to be a rotation of players 2-4 playing the role of pg. Harden, Gordon, Ariza, Anderson, Capella I think can do more damage than people think.

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Yes, he has been our point guard but there's always another point guard with him on the court.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Your smartass answer doesn't negate the new Rockets coach saying that he plans to try to "move James over" and have him "initiate the offense" and "bring the ball up most of the time" and "average 12-13 assists per game." If that sounds like a 3 to you, then you're deluded.
    <BR>

19. ziebarf

ziebarf Member

I like it. Beverly and Gordon will need to step up their playmaking this year. Hitting the right passes on the pick and roll/pop will help Harden out a ton.

If not, will we end up being a better shooting version of last years team? Is that a bad thing?

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You fool. Everybody and their mother knows that "James Harden" is a common nickname for Ricky Rubio. How could you possibly not pick up on that?