1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers 'gauging interest' in Jahlil Okafor trades

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Duncan also played against real competition, nobody was playing at his best against the Sixers last year.

amaru likes this.
  2. wfactor

wfactor Member

Can't believe Okafor's value is so low.

He put up a solid season, aside from all his off the court drama. He shot a respectable 51%, considering he's a rookie on a terrible offensive team.

Obviously his defense needs work, but it's something that he can improve if he focuses less on individual scoring and more on the other end of the floor. Right now, there's complaints of him being a black hole but those are habits that can be changed as well

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

I seriously doubt Duncan is a better rim protector than Howard was last year, statistically...PLEASE! And I'm not ever, never saying that Howard is a better player than Duncan. I think everyone knows that Howard has his mental limitations, all I said was that Duncan was not a Defensive Superstar.

If anything, I would classify him as good or effective but not as a superstar in that category.

4. ballgame

ballgame Member

This^. Remember people, he was a ROOKIE last yr

5. meanplays

meanplays Member

I mean he's got talent, and good post moves, but his inability to shoot jumpers and free throws could really hurt...i can't really see him in MDA's offense, defensively he'll fit right in lol

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

lol...how can you be upset without knowing what it would take? Maybe they are asking for too much??

7. BackdoorHarden

What fool say Duncan is a great defensive player????

Duncan has most ALL NBA Defensive than any other player!! He's on ALL NBA D Team a record 15 times, next closiest is Kobe at 12.

Duncan is rated the Highest as a Defensive player.

Dwight made All NBA D only 5 times. He did win D Player of the Year twice, but Dwight was a beast in short spurt, he sucks now.

Duncan has been great consisently

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Mr Chuck Norris

You're crazy

9. BackdoorHarden

Ballgame doesn't watch basketball.

Duncan was the highest rated defensive Center last year. Dwight was crap. He must still be thinking Orlando Dwight

roslolian, hakeem94 and RudyTBag like this.
  10. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Surely there are teams that would be interested in Ariza, to work a three-way trade. Okafor or Noel would make a nice cornerstone with Harden.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. omgTHEpotential

At this point I'm not sure if he'll ever be better than Emeka.

13. Fantasma Negro

Reasonable and they wouldn't have to give much. He would make them a better team because of his style of play. I wouldn't mind seeing this...The arms race has begun

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/11/...e-continues-jahlil-okafor-philadelphia-76ers/

League sources indicate the Chicago Bulls and Atlanta Hawks are the most likely destinations for Okafor. But the Sixers are still holding out for at least a Draft pick, and could still opt to keep Okafor either as insurance against further injury to Embiid, or as a potential expiring contract to aggregate as the trade deadline nears.

The Sixers were close to a deal last February that would have sent Okafor to Portland. But sources indicated, then and now, that the Blazers changed their plans and went in instead on a deal with Denver that brought them Jusuf Nurkic in exchange for Mason Plumlee. Deals fall through all the time, but this looked especially bad because the 76ers told Okafor to stay home and not go on a road trip with them since they believed a deal was imminent.

So, where can Philly send him? The Sixers are reluctant to just cut Okafor loose, knowing it will take Celtics boss Danny Ainge about 30 seconds to scarf him up and put him into the injured player exception Boston has for Gordon Hayward. (The two teams haven’t been able to come together on a trade.) Okafor’s knee is sound and he’s in the best shape of his young career.

Some have trotted out the usual suspects: Phoenix and New York and other rebuilding teams. But those teams have their own problems and their own young frontcourt players (Marquese Chriss and Dragan Bender for the Suns; Porzingis and Enes Kanter with the Knicks) who’ll need all the minutes they can get to further develop. That is also, it says here, selling Okafor short -- that all he can be is a stats hunter on a bad team.

But the Sixers also don’t want to add any salary to get Okafor off the books. They have every intention of extending forward Robert Covington as soon as they are able -- Nov. 15 -- and aren’t going past that in new expenditures this season. But teams are asking Philly to take back more salary in exchange for Okafor’s now expiring $4.9 million contract.

And, if it doesn’t work with Chicago or Atlanta, there aren’t a lot of obvious other places the Sixers could send him. A lot of solid and/or promising teams like Charlotte, New Orleans (which had interest in the past in Okafor) and Detroit are over the cap and perilously close to the tax threshold, and no one is going to go over it to take a chance that Okafor might be better than he showed in Philly. And good teams already paying the tax this season are obviously not in the mix.

Jahlil Okafor will get a shot, somewhere, to play again. But he may have to wait, yet again.​

Vivi likes this.
  16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Jahlil to Orlando for hezonja

Lose lose for everyone

17. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Don't want him o
    Don't want him on the bulls, I need Lauri to put up all the points and that means keeping ball-hog black hole okafor away.

I doubt Okafor is even in the NBA in 2019-2020. He, Exum, Udoh, Williams, and Hezonja will be the bust class of this decade.