1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Blizzard's Overwatch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-stats-do...m_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

you're right about lucio, but mercy has the lowest winning %. symmetra has the highest.

they've said a mcree nerf is in the works, so he no longer shreds tanks with his fan the hammer.

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Naw. Noobs play soldier 76

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well they're finally nerfing Torb on consoles (30% damage reduction for his turrets). Definitely needed to happen. 6 Torbs on defense was basically unbeatable on certain maps (looking at you, Volskaya Industries).

Been really into this game, even though I have too much other crap going on in life right now to be able to play nearly as much as I want. I think I've made it to level 30 or so.

My character preferences keep evolving too, which keeps things interesting.

Right now I'd saying I'm maining Junkrat. Whenever I'm not in a situation that calls for a particular sort of hero, he's just my all-around "great at killing things" character. I've been making more liberal use of his mine lately to blow people off ledges, and have also gotten more heavily into bouncing all my grenades off walls and around corners to wreak havoc while staying alive.

Reinhardt I still enjoy and play sometimes, but I don't play him nearly as much as I did at the beginning. He's still great, but I feel like other players have gotten less and less inclined to hide behind his shield as time has gone on in favor of running off on their own, which really diminishes his usefulness to me.

I always play Symmetra on defense on a large subset of maps... most of all Temple of Anubis, King's Row, Hanamura, and Dorado. She's stupidly good on those. I'm shocked whenever I lose on defense on those maps.

D.Va is pretty great when my team either has no tanks or not enough firepower. If the other team doesn't band together, there isn't really much you can do against her going toe-to-toe in close.

Roadhog is amazing on those few maps that prominently feature large pits to pull people into with his chain (namely the Well on Ilios and that one part in Nepal, forget what it's called.. maybe Sanctum?).

And then there's always Soldier 76. You can knock him for being boring, but he's great for sustaining an attack on pesky snipers or turrets (or a Pharah), since he has range on his weapon, good burst damage with his little rockets, and can self-heal. I switch to him on the rare occasions that I can't get close enough to the fray for Junkrat to be useful.
    I particularly like when I have a really good Soldier 76 on my team, I just switch to Mercy and keep a damage buff on him, he gets pretty unstoppable.

And obviously Torbjorn. But I'm not sure I see myself bothering with him after the nerf hits. Pretty boring playstyle anyway.

Those 7 or so are the ones that have clicked for me. Most of the others I want to like... but much as I try to get into others, I usually get the sneaking suspicion I could've contributed more if I'd picked one of the above instead.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am such a high level now, I have been rotating characters trying to get all the acheivements.

I mostly learn new characters by studying how I get owned by them and then adopt the play style. For whatever reason, Tracers never bothered me, so I never bothered playing as them....but holy ****....I am basically a god now at Tracer. I am consistently going 40-2, 45-3. Its ridiculous. Her movement needs a nerf badly.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree. Either the cool-down time for her movement needs to be increased, or the distance it travels needs to be decreased. Unless you're McCree and can stun her with the flashbang, there's really no way to consistently stop her.

In other news...glad they're nerfing Torbjorn's turrets. His ultimate is probably the most overpowered in the game.

1 person likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I want to play this game so badly but it's going to require a new graphics card for me, which I'm a total ignoramus about.

Anybody have a recommendation for something under 200 bucks?

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Tom's Hardware

This is a good jumping off point. It is a heirarchy of gpu's. It lists NVIDIA and AMD and which cards are comparable by brand. It's not an exact science because of the way they are made but it is close.

I prefer NVIDIA to AMD but it is a personal thing not a NVIDIA kills AMD thing. I prefer the setup and have had better luck with NVIDIA cards. Others will tell you the opposite so choose whichever suits you.

Find the highest tier you can afford and go with one on that. Make sure you have a power supply that can handle it and also the proper power connectors for it. I have had many swap outs that have turned bad because I didn't have the proper power or I didn't have the connectors for the card.

8. fallenphoenix

9. larsv8

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

1 person likes this.
  10. Drexlerfan22

PC or console?

I feel like her damage output on console isn't super-great, because it's hard to hit with all her shots aiming with a control stick.

I play on PS4. I thought about getting it on PC, but all my friends got it on PS4, so that decided me. Probably a good thing anyhow, since I haven't played any PC shooters since Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. Any keyboard & mouse skill I had is all the way gone by now, so I would probably get owned on PC.

Not to say I'm good on console. Last shooter I was way into on console was Bad Company 2 for PS3. I'm a pretty average FPS player at this point.

11. fallenphoenix

I've been getting schooled by tracers when i play as someone as squishy as junkrat or zenyatta. i really don't think she should be able to kill a hero with one clip, which has been the case.

12. larsv8

PC

I can't even imagine playing competitive FPS on a controller.

Her damage output is silly with headshots, you can take out 200 hp toons in one or two clips.

Combined with her own hit box being the smallest in the game, the heal mechanic on her recall, the quick charging bomb which can negate shielded turrets / bastions and the fact she can unload a full clip and blink through a character while they are turning around is just too much. If you know what you are doing, this is the most powerful character in the game.

Yea, soldier, zarya, winston are really the only ones I avoid. Everything else is just toast.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Tracer is definitely up there. In my opinion, though, I think in the hands of the right player, Zarya gives her a run for her money.

14. Drexlerfan22

Yeah, that makes sense. Like I said, I think things are a bit different on consoles. The way she fires in bursts makes it hard to hit consistently with a controller at any kind of range. At one point I was pushing a payload with D.Va, and a Tracer started harassing me. I couldn't hit her much, and she couldn't do enough damage to me to offset the payload healing. So we both just kinda accepted the stalemate, and she went off to harass someone squishier.

I think I woulda stuck with PC like back in the Quake/UT days, but as time has gone on, I've got about 5 friends I game with (so 6 including me). 2 of those people don't have powerful PCs, and 1 doesn't have a PS4 (which will probably change a lot faster than the other two would get gaming PCs). So it's just a matter of what my friends have.

It would be interesting to see completely separate tier lists for console & PC.

Like Tracer definitely seems like she would be OP on PC, but she seems balanced on console.

Torb is/was clearly OP on consoles but is fine on PC, hence the upcoming console-only nerf to his turrets.

Really, I imagine any character that requires a lot of precision would be better on PC... so Widowmaker, McCree, Genji, etc.

15. larsv8

Yea, DVA on a payload is not her forte. She is a harrasser, so she needs to be behind enemy lines, killer healers / snipers and retreating offensive players. A DVA is just gonna sit on the heal over time, but the whole team should be there, so no need for the tracer.

Widowmakers are meh, but there are some nasty Genji's out there.

Honestly, if you just understand your character's strengths, and play to them, you are at a massive advantage. Most players just don't get this for whatever reason.

16. Drexlerfan22

Oh yeah, I'm aware. :) I was only pushing the payload with D.Va because it was the last minute of the match on Hollywood at the end of the track, and the rest of my team was off jerking off playing deathmatch, and I had my ult ready to try to clear out that final room a little bit.

But naturally we lost because my team never showed up. Solo D.Va is not going to clear 4 entrenched defenders at a choke point by herself.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wait until the ranked update breh.

It's just like CSGO, people in casual are just there to screw around.

18. Drexlerfan22

Man. Sometimes I'm made to think that the matchmaking in this game needs some serious work.

So at this point I think I'm level 33. I don't think I'm that great at the game. I went on a reasonably good run early last night, fair number of wins.

Then the game apparently decided I was uber-awesome and would put me on teams with a bunch of people that were level ~15 against a team where every single player was level 60+.

Heck, there was a match in that stretch where I got a gold medal for kills with... 1 kill. That's how much we got worked. How did the matchmaking system ever think that was gonna be fair, when the other team was about 50 levels higher on average? I don't get it...

19. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

paolojackson#1382 lets play

20. flipmode

flipmode Member

this game is incredibly addictive...for me, it's TF2 on steroids. i don't play games regularly. but Overwatch and Rocket League are the two games i've bought in the last 5 years.

blizzard is really good about creating a "universe/lore" and this is an awesome example. you have the movie-like backstory, archetypical characters that you instantly recognize, and even the element of different countries (like street fighter). the mechanics are tuned so that each character really does feel different, and that there are multiple ways to contribute to your team. there is no "team deathmatch" (although some idiot team members forget that) and you can switch classes at any time. you're always in the action and the rounds are short enough that you don't have to commit more than 10 min at a time.