1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

He's a good 3+D wing. Wings get paid more than PGs, PFs and even Cs today.

At some point we much pay someone. I am not saying pay Lee but if you think his contract is crazy what you will think next year when the cap will rise 20 more millions?
    Not pay anyone ever? Be a team of rookie contracts of chinese players and undrafted rookies and begging Euro players to come over so to underpay them MLE money?

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

What this team needs?

- a C that can move every and switch to anyone to defend, and can also block and recover for our G's low defensive efficiency and btw, should never demanding the ball down the post. So Capela fits the requirement, you will want to get another one similar, just like the type we just drafted.

- This team needs 1-2 very good wing defenders, which again can rotate to guard 1-3 position, Ariza is the right type but he is not a good 3 pt shooter and also started to loose a step or two, so a younger version of him and with better 3 pt shooting is needed.

- a PF that can shoot from the 3 pt line, and more specifically, a stretch 4, which both Dmo and TJ failed.

- a better PG, which again should never demand the ball, Ty Lawson is a disaster last year, to some extend its the player's decline, but more of less it give me the frame of what kind of PG that can play with Harden.

Then of course, the new coach likes to run, so most of the FA we are looking for should be young blood.

This new Rockets team will smell like a rebuilding team to lots of fans, but actually its the right way to build it.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's an ok 3+D player.

I'd rather pay young, unproven players. I'm not 100% sure who those are on the top of my head, but there are some of them out there.

I'd rather overpay to bring international players over, yes.

I'd rather ultimately trade Harden and start over. I'm not advocating that RIGHT NOW, mind you, but am pointing out that if the options are Harden/Courtney Lee/Noah/Capela/DMo/Ariza/Bev and then adding another Noah'like player next offseason...

...OR offering the 76ers Harden for Simmons... well... I think I know what direction I'd want to go.

I'm not saying the 76ers are anywhere close to being in a better position than the Rockets right now. And again I'm not advocating that deal...

I am simply saying... IF you are faced with the choice of overpaying what are clear clear clear role players at best that are needed to fill out a championship team as opposed to being key highly paid player of that championship team... VS. a suck strategy that maximize assets and looks to the 3-5 year plan as opposed to the 1-3 year plan, you start looking LONG AND HARD about that longer term approach.

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Damn, Brewer's ****ty contract is looking better by the day.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Offering Harden for Simmons is too much of a risk, Simmons proved nothing close to any dominate level in college and he also was questioned about quitting in LSU.

Its actually very difficult to trade Harden, for a fair return.

Because everyone knows Harden is broken, you won't get a fair value for trading anything broken because of the risk factor on both sides.

6. JayZ750

Well, I'm not suggesting definitively doing it... because we are not at this moment 100% sure the only option is to just try and remain competitive with an obviously flawed, but competitive team. We might ACTUALLY be able to land a couple of big fish, despite the rumors or lack thereof, despite the sky is falling rhetoric on this site.

I am just saying, if we knew with certainty that wasn't going to happen, then you start thinking about moves like that.

As far as Simmons specifically, my personal view is that he's the legit true package. But that remains to be seen. Neither here nor there.

I DO think you might actually be able to land someone like that though, for Harden. It does become harder to do now, as opposed to before the draft. Philadelphia is at this moment enamored with Simmons for example. Coach Brown knows his family. They've done all their research on him. He's their "prize" for years of sucktitude. But even with that, you are saying to them you have way too many bigs, Simmons, even as a point forward, is a big. We aren't giving you Harden for anything less than Simmons and you aren't getting any player nearly as close to Harden as Harden in the backcourt on your own any time soon. It definitely would pique their interest.

You could make the same argument for the Lakers/Ingram.

Point being, while he isn't flawless, Harden is effectively signed for 2 more years at under $18 million and is a top 5 offensive player in the NBA, a guy you can give the ball to in the final 5 minutes, a guy who can create for himself and others, and who actually can play off ball, if properly coached.

You only even remotely consider it if you've realized the sky is falling conclusion many fans have is actually true. The organization is cultural at a low point, you can't attract free agents, and need a restart of sorts.

7. htown1984

htown1984 Member

would you rather pay Batum the Max or Anderson? if you had to pick 1?

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Batum and it's not even close.

Kyle Wiltjer at 1x3 non guaranteed with team option > Ryan Anderson at 23x4 guaranteed

9. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Conley doesn't fit MDA's system.

I think that's why he did so well in the Grizzle's slow grind it out style.

You can't just lump a bunch of guys together and think they're going to fit just because they're good on another team.

There's someone else who was able to run MDA's system and did a decent job -- that was Ish Smith.

Just throwing it out there.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

14M per is around the going rate for an average NBA starter in today's NBA with the cap rise. Adjust accordingly.

11. htown1984

htown1984 Member

all i know is that Beverly, Ariza, Brewer, and anyone not named Harden
    doesnt fit MDA system,... none of them can shoot 3's or 2's at a consistent rate. I actually think this is a bad roster for MDA, hope they can trade and find players that actually fit his system

12. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

I think this is just crazy money:(

13. JayZ750

It's not so much that it's crazy money. The money is what it is/will be.

It's about roster building.

Courtney Lee OBVIOUSLY can't be one of your top 3/4 highest paid players long-term on your roster and expect to win.

You will, ABSENT lucking into rookie contract players that happen to be dominant early on, or signing players that suddenly improve drastically and are on long-term contracts at that under paid value, have 2-3 players getting $20+ million a year if you want to be a consistent deep playoff team.

Call it 1 player at $25 and two at $20. That's $65 million.

In a $120 million salary cap league - just a guess for 2017/2018 and beyond, that leaves $55 million to divide among at least 5 other legitmate contributors, but up to 12 other players on the cap.

Basically, EVERYTHING else has to go 100% RIGHT if you are paying Courtney Lee $14 million+ a year and hoping to win a championship.

14. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

I was just cruising through Twitter and people are mumbling that they think Conley would cost between $22 and $25 mil

=(

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

rather trade for rubio and take my chances with him..

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes, Conley is getting a max contract.

Surprised folks think he should stay in Memphis. "If they offer a 5 year deal, he gotta stay!"

Grizzlies aren't going anywhere. Less money & all, I'd leave.
    No idea how true, if even at all, but Windhorst said Gasol has a career-threatening foot injury.

17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I think if we want any real chance to get KD, we have to add 1 or 2 more legitimate elites first/asap. I don't see KD coming with just Harden trying to convince him right now.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think it's the same injury Yao had.

19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is, the navicular fracture. But Gasol's wasn't as severe as Yao's was. Nevertheless, you don't want to fool around with that fracture.