1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-43] Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Zhou Qi?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

67.8%
  2. NO

32.2%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers again with the truth.

it's never about racism, because Rockets fans love Yao Ming and Yao was Asian before Lin or Zhou.

Yao was all about team and the city of Houston. He's not about using a religion as shield for his failures. He wasn't in it because of China.

He was in for the purest reasons, the city.

That's why Iverson is loved in Philly. And why Lebron thanked CLEVELAND.

Pure reasons.

2. #1fan

#1fan Member

Kid has skills that fit D'Antoni's offense...what's not to like:confused:

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

No one ever said he was Yao's level.

He is at, or actually above Yi's level at the same age, since Yi falsified his age and was actually 22 when drafted. Yi was a huge bust and never should've been taken at #6. With hindsight he would've been taken in the second round too. So I agree that Zhou at #43 is right around where he deserves. That doesn't change the fact that he is the best prospect from China since Yi and Chinese fans would not be happy if he never saw the court(even if it's because he's not good enough).

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

See, his fan is already here before Qi joins the team. Who said Qi has to do something on the court for Les getting more money?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was just an obvious statement, anyone who has seen the kid play would know that he's the kind of bigs coach Pringles would like. Look it up, realize the obviousness of the statement for yourself.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, it is not obviousness for me. Pringles only plays 6-8 players, a rookie players at 43rd has no a future in his team.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

no offense that's a lot of assumptions.

Every person not named Yao Ming has failed in the NBA, I don't remember the Chinese media b****ing about any of them. Getting steady role in the NBA is a lofty dream for most people, if they don't pan out, it's still great that they were drafted. That's the sentiment I get anyway.

Chinese fans aren't like Lin tards, at least I think not. They know he's drafted in the 2nd round and is skinny as hell and needs a lot of work. The people that will b**** will be those who aren't educated in basketball, but then again those who don't know basketball will care about a guy drafted in the second round.

He is not regarded as Yao Ming, or Wang zhizhi, or Yi in terms of prospect from Chinses people's eyes imo. Those guys were super stars before coming over.

I honestly don't remember Lakers getting slack for not playing Sun Yue and people thought he was the Chinese Magic Johnson.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

How do you know the Rockets won't need help two or three years down the road? Don't the Rockets need help every year? Also, how many mid second round picks are able to help a team their rookie season. It's happened, but it's rare.

9. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Well, he'll be playing in Rio in August so everyone will be able to evaluate how he does against players outside of the CBA

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well then that's just sad. I'm not sure how you can be helped, but hopefully one day the obvious will be obvious to you too.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, there is not obvious here, just give up.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you can't watch a young 7 footer who is quick, can handle the ball, and can shoot....then not realize that would fit what coach Pringles likes in his big men, then there's something wrong with you. That said, giving up is probably what I should do, I know a lost cause when I see it.

1 person likes this.
  13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Wait, I thought Zhou Qu had reached buy-out agreement with his current team, and could come over this year. Is it not true?

14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Hopefully the exhibition games on July 24 and July 26 between USA and China will be shown on TV somehow as well.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

You could be right. I just don't put a lot of faith in the rationality of fans, from anywhere, especially if they are rooting hard for someone. I agree the Chinese fans may be better than Lin fans, some of whom were religious zealots.

All the other Chinese players were either older like Wang zhizhi or came without that kind of expectations like Sun Yue. The only comparable is Yi, and he had plenty of opportunities in Milwaukee and on the Nets, and failed on his own. On the Rockets Zhou will not be afforded that opportunity to fail. He will only get playing time if he earns it. But I'm not sure the Chinese fans will view it that way and may see it as his future and chance to develop being wasted away on the bench.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually this is not true.

If this pick is for someone like Alexandro Fukyounickulou from Europe which no one heard about, yes there will be much less discussion about it and people actually will like it more.

But this guy Zhou, actually was on the draft radar the last 2 seasons and people are paying attention to him during the summit and camps and even his performance in the CBA.

He ain't Yao for sure, not even anything remotely close. If he was picked by some other teams in this range in second round, I would expect not seeing the same rage of many Rockets fans expressed here.

He may even worked out as a ok NBA player.

But the point is, most people (of course there will always be idiots) are getting upset about this pick has nothing to do with him being Chinese or not.

People are getting upset because we just went through one of the shlttest season in this franchise history, and then Les is still acting like Les, and from the picking of the coach to this actually not very important second round picks, its just making the fans felt offended.

1 person likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You must have missed out on the joke, the "I Have seen the future and it is Dan Langhi" was poking fun at how over the top things were....its' ok, though...

DD

18. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

There is an easy way to settle this. If Zhou has the hype of Yi in China, then there should be lots of complaints of him being selected in mid 2nd round right? After all, Yi was selected at no. 6, and we select Zhou at 43. If the expectation is similar and fans are crazy enough, we should see lots of complaints over internet or hack just on this forum that he is selected too late. If there aren't enough complaints, then we should know people in China are rational to see him as a mid 2nd rounder, and won't make a fuss if he doesn't pan out.

Again, I think if he doesn't pan out, people in China will just forget him and look at the next rising star and draw attention to the new hope. After Yao's success, most of them wouldn't complain Zhou wasn't given enough chance, would just admit he's a bust (from their point, from my point, a middle 2nd rounder is at best a rotational player unless he's a big sleeper). It's just like NBA, rookies are given high hope, but if they don't pan out, people will lose interest and start looking at next year's rookies.

#398 AvgJoe, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  19. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

In Sun Yue's case, his team was already kicked out of the CBA. Lakers knew about him because he was playing in a minor league (ABA) in Southern California.

Yi had a lot of hype and media exposure, and won 3 CBA titles.

Zhou doesn't have those accolades yet. Zhou will have to show he can play in the U.S, even if he gets sent to the D-League. Zhou has a lot of potential on the defensive end, which he needs to show first he can handle against NBA competition.

20. #1fan

#1fan Member

I'm no basketball scout....but it doesn't take one to figure out, after watching Qi's tryouts video, that he has certain skills! Skills that translate into Pringle's offensive scheme!!

Maybe you should give up Bobbythegreat but don't lose hope that there are wiser folks out there ;)