1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cooper works with Rockets...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by houstoncart, Oct 2, 2003.

1. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

All local telecasts on Ch. 51
    Cooper replaces 8-year vet Malosky
    By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

KNWS (Channel 51) will be the Rockets' sole over-the-air television flagship station this season, and Cynthia Cooper will replace Lisa Malosky on the team's halftime and postgame shows, the Rockets said Wednesday.

This will be the second season in a row that Rockets games not picked up for national distribution will air solely on over-the-air television. Last year's local schedule was split between Channel 51 and KHWB (Ch. 39).

"With the way our schedule shapes up, we thought it would be best for our fans to go to one location for games," said Tad Brown, the team's vice president for corporate development. "KNWS has proved itself with good ratings for Astros games during the baseball season and with us last season, and we think we can build on those ratings."

The number of local outlets for locally produced Rockets games will shrink from two to one -- aside from four ABC games that will air locally on KTRK (Channel 13) -- but the studio crew will expand from Malosky to Cooper, a member of the Comets' four WNBA championship teams, and Jeff Hagedorn, the Comets' radio play-by-play voice.

Bill Worrell and Calvin Murphy will return as the team's play-by-play voice and game analyst, respectively.

Malosky, who was not offered a new contract by the Rockets, will be off the air for the first time since coming to Houston in 1991 as a weekend anchor on KPRC (Channel 2). She had worked for the team the last eight years on televised Rockets and Comets games.

"I was surprised and disappointed by their decision," Malosky said. "But I had a great eight years, and I'm very much looking forward to a new chapter.

"They didn't say anything specifically about their reasons. As they say in television, they want to move in a different direction. It happens all the time."

Tim McDougall, the team's marketing vice president, said: "We really like what Cynthia adds from a personality and player's insight point of view. We want to have the best locally produced halftime show, one that rivals the show that TNT and Fox air."

While they move into the new Toyota Center, the Rockets also are making plans to start their own regional sports network in partnership with the Astros, beginning with the 2005-2006 season. This will be the second year that no Rockets games have aired on Fox Sports Net, which made its debut in 1983 as the Rockets' cable flagship station.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Rockets should have hired Drea Avan from news 24. Somebody thats GOOD LOOKING and knows some sports.

4. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

Cooper doesnt know basketball?

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Of course she does. She is just not good looking:D

6. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

I think Cooper is going to do a great job.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

man...should have hired Lisa Guerrero (sp?).:cool:

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

You like her? I guess she is ok. But man you should see the girl on the show "54321". 2 words Dyme Piece.

9. rocketinmypants

Dominique Sachse, nuff said. :D

[​IMG]

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I know Lisa wasn't eye candy, but I will miss her all the same.

11. NachbarSucks

NachbarSucks Member

No fake names like Dominique Sachse.

12. rocketinmypants

Yeah, the name Dominique Sachse never existed. :rolleyes:

If someone else can suggest Lisa Guerrero, then Dominique is as just a plausible idea. Actually, more plausible since Dominique is here and can be hired away from Channel 2 if thrown enough money, while Guerrero has no Houston ties (I'm guessing).

With that in mind, Jessica Willey from Channel 13 would be nice on the Rockets staff also. :D