1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rush Limbaugh wants to be a "Color" Analyst

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Oct 1, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Rush Limbaugh made claims that Donovan McNabb may have been pushed by the media because it wants black quarterbacks to do well, and he is basically overrated. I guess Philly made it to the championship game two years in a row because of Affirmative Action.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/6894891.htm

Rich Hofmann | So now he's a color analyst, too
    By Rich Hofmann
    hofmanr@phillynews.com

Rush Limbaugh says that if you believe Donovan McNabb is a really good quarterback, it isn't because he is a really good quarterback. It's because you have a secret desire to see a black quarterback succeed in the NFL.

Now, who isn't offended by that? Who isn't offended on about three different levels? And when is this nonsense ever going to end?

Limbaugh works for ESPN now, at least on Sunday mornings. He is there to be controversial. This week, as his co-conspirators on the set tried to figure out what was wrong with McNabb following his 0-2 start this season, Limbaugh told them this:

"I think the sum total of what you're all saying is that Donovan McNabb is regressing, he's going backwards. And...I'm sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well; I think there is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried this team...

"I think he got a lot of credit for the defensive side of the ball winning games for this team."

A short argument ensued on the ESPN set - that's why Limbaugh is there, to start short arguments - but it was a football argument and nothing more. Limbaugh's black-quarterback comments were ignored. His easy dismissal of everything that McNabb has accomplished was not challenged. His cavalier, hurtful words were left to sit there and sting. On the central issue, nobody took the bully on.

And so, on national television, McNabb was allowed to be reduced to a stereotype once again. He lives, he breathes, he quarterbacks - but it has never been that simple for Donovan McNabb and you wonder if it ever will be.

You read the old articles from when he was in high school and you see where colleges that even bothered with him were recruiting McNabb only as an "option" quarterback; code word.

You read the stuff that was written when he was coming out of Syracuse and see countless references to what an "athletic" quarterback he is; code word.

You read the articles today and you see way too many times where McNabb is categorized, unthinkingly, almost reflexively, as a "running" quarterback; code word.

And now this Limbaugh. It is to the point now where it isn't even provocative anymore. It's just tired. It's such an old, stupid song.

If you took 5 minutes to look at the statistics and to study the history of the game, you would see that McNabb is for real. After 2 years as a starter - that's when he built this reputation of being an elite quarterback, before he broke a fibula last season - McNabb's numbers absolutely blew away the early numbers put up by guys to whom he is often compared, guys like Brett Favre and John Elway. The stats aren't even close.

But it isn't even that. It isn't how many games McNabb won, or how many big games. It isn't how he routinely refuses to make the big mistakes - going into this season, his interception percentage was third-lowest in NFL history. It isn't that in the most important quarterback stat - touchdown-to-interception ratio - McNabb was fourth all-time in the league. It isn't that his physical toughness is unchallenged, or that his teammates have followed him from the day he showed up in 1999.

That's football stuff. This is much bigger than that. Because the notion that the media somehow had to invent McNabb's excellence because it needed a black quarterback to portray as successful just mocks the reality of the NFL in 2003.

Look around, Rush. Arguably the best quarterback in the NFL today is Tennessee's Steve McNair - who, the last time anyone looked, is black. McNair is just old-school excellent. He's a technician. He's tough as a boot. His leadership skills are unquestioned. He was a yard short of winning the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, nearly beating what might have been the best offensive team the NFL has ever seen.

And that's just for starters.

As McNabb said yesterday in a conversation with the Daily News' Les Bowen, "What about [Michael] Vick? What does that say for Daunte Culpepper or Aaron Brooks or Quincy Carter? Culpepper is playing really well right now. What does it say about that?"

There are good black quarterbacks everywhere you turn these days, Rush. Nobody has to invent their success for them because they're succeeding all by themselves.

If you want to make a football argument about McNabb, fine. None of us yet knows what his final football accounting is going to be. None of us knows if he is going to win championships. All we know is that there is a stack of numbers that says McNabb has built a better foundation than almost anyone as we enter the prime years of his career.

At one point Sunday, ESPN's Tom Jackson said that the Eagles have made their big-money investment in McNabb and have to stick with him.

Limbaugh replied, "I'm saying that it's a good investment. Don't misunderstand. I just don't think he's as good as everybody said he has been."

But if you disagree, if you think McNabb is a better player than Limbaugh does, he says it must be because you are somehow blinded by the color of McNabb's skin.

With that, you can only wonder about what's sadder: that Rush Limbaugh insists on living in such a world, or that he insists on dragging Donovan McNabb into it with him.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, that amazing offensive supporting cast he's had in Philly the last few years have been the difference, not the black QB. Now could you imagine how good they would've been had the media not pushed black RBs, WRs, and OLs down our throats? Philly would've won it all. I mean, look who made the big play against them in the NFC Championship game last season-Joe Jurevicius-a white player.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised that Limbaugh would say something that stupid. And it is more than stupid. The producers of "Monday Night Football", who didn't give him the color job he lobbied so ardently for, must have been smarter than I'd normally give them credit for.

4. NachbarSucks

NachbarSucks Member

McNabb is overhyped. He just should of stated it in a different way. Rush is doing exactly what he was hired to do.

5. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I don't know what's worse -- that Limbaugh said that on national television, or that there will be several responses here defending him.

6. Major

Major Member

McNabb is the only good player on that offense. Their receivers and running backs suck. Everything that offense does is based on him. Wasn't he on a record-setting TD pace last year before he got hurt?

7. GreenVegan76

McNabb is still a freak. He has two bad games (after 9 months of inactivity) and people want to write him off. If he's still overthrowing his receivers by ten yards in December, maybe. But give the guy some time.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

McNabb's stats this year are not good. That is the point Rush should have made. I'm not sure I agree with his statement that the people want to see a black qb succeed in the league. I think what would have been more appropriate to say is that he receives a certain amount of attention simply because he is somewhat of a novelty in the league, being a black qb. Just like Sehorn used to get attention for being a white cb.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

So the liberal media overhypes all of these guys, or just McNabb? Rush Limbaugh is a big fat racist idiot.

Philadelphia - Donovan McNabb
    Tennessee - Steve McNair
    Atlanta - Michael Vick
    Minnesota - Daunte Culpepper
    New Orleans - Aaron Brooks
    Dallas - Quincy Carter
    Arizona - Jeff Blake
    Chicago - Kordell Stewart
    Carolina - Rodney Peete
    Jacksonville - Byron Leftwich

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

As far as offensive players getting most of the credit when it's primarily the defense that's winning the games, that's pretty much the norm. And yes, it's true. Still, that doesn't change the fact that McNabb is still one of the better QB's in the league.

And yes, the NFL is obviously pushing black coaches, but black quarterbacks? Uhh...no.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

McNabb needs to prove Rush wrong.

He is killing my fantasy football team :)

DD

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

EDIT. Just to correct myself. I guess he didn't say the NFL is pushing black quarterbacks, but the media is. I have seen several articles where the main topic is "black quarterbacks," so it is something the media focuses on, and I suppose those articles could help add to the hype. Still, doesn't change the fact that McNabb has been a damn, good QB.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't think these comments make him a racist....just an idiot.

14. GreenVegan76

Yeah, no kidding! He's dragging my whole team down -- wake up, DonnieMac!

:p

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hasn't there only been one?

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Why anyone cares what Rush Limbaugh thinks about anything is beyond me.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't know what he actually meant...but what a stupid way to say it, if he didn't mean it in that way.

i think mcnabb is great...i think the eagles are overrated.

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Rush has too much baggage to be a sports commentator.

Controversy is not always good.

19. Timing

Timing Member

What a *great* threat title! LOL Funny thing is he loves hiding behind the bigot conservative victim card to give him cover to say stupid ass things like this. ESPN should be pressured into dropping that clown. I don't know why they hired him in the first place.

20. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

What really got me about Rush's comments were not the bit about the media being desirous for a black QB to succeed (McNair's been succeeding for a long while now so I don't really see his point), but the fact that he said McNabb hasn't been that good at all even before the injury.

An in-person troll. ESPN is putting the internet on TV.