1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 30, 2016.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So if he came back and hit .280 and had an OPS of .950, you wouldn't cheer for him?

If he helped the team win the division, you wouldn't cheer for him?

Ok man, to each their own

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Maybe you've forgotten that professional baseball is a business first.

3. The Beard

Too many people look at this like it's little league or high school baseball

It's not

We are dealing with multi millionaires with huge egos

Who have agents with huge egos

You can't just jerk around their roles and sit them because of a bad week for someone who had 4 good days, and stuff like that

It's a whole different animal dealing with these guys

Sure, you could say "well they need to man up and do their job", but their teammates don't have that attitude and wouldn't like it. Free agents would want no part of it

It's the same "game".....but in so many ways, it's not

4. HorneR

HorneR Member

There's just something about Marisnick. Has obvious chemistry with nearly every player on the squad. From the outside looking in I'd even say he's one of the leaders in the dug out. Always leading the goofball celebration lines.

And when he's actually getting on base the dude is just electric. Get him on first with less than 2 outs, and there's nearly no other player I'd trust more to cross home. He's got the speed, he's got the smarts, intangibles, defense. Just needs to hit around .250 over the course of a season.

Kid's still young and could develop into a Keirmaier-esque asset down the line. Team's rolling, I really hope we let it ride, and take the developmental route and see if the wins keep coming.

I get baseball's a business. I get that Gomez was a top 3 CF over a 3 year stretch. But this is the first success we've tasted all year. We keep trying to fix what ain't broke with bandaid shortsighted trades. Let's see what we can do if we let this squad gel. We've got talent for days with plenty more lying in the weeds.

1 person likes this.
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Jake is a poor man's George Springer.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Huh? Kazmir was the only one of those. Gomez was a 2 year player...not a bandaid or shortsighted.

So you'd prefer the team to aim for a 5 year timeline and not try and push for postseason success when they see an opportunity? Operate differently from every other team in the league? Good luck with that one.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Beard

same guys that complain about us not "going after players that can help"

b****ing just to be b****ing

8. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Gomez will be gone in October. Who gives a **** about his ego? He's done nothing but lose games for the Astros.

9. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Correct. He's full of fake hustle and terrible baseball.

The Houston Astros are a better organization and team without him. Anyone who can't see that doesn't get baseball, at all.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

You're just hot take after hot take. That makes for terrible posting.

You should work on that.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Interesting...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">67-50 <a href="https://t.co/rq9j68I5XL">https://t.co/rq9j68I5XL</a></p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/737448891524644864">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

People on here don't want hear that, results speak for itself.

1 person likes this.
  13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I've been reading succesful wall-street trader/MLB handicapper Joe Peta's book Trading Bases, and he mentions a stat of his called "cluster luck". The basic thesis of the theory is that, on average, 2 MLB hits will equal 1 run, and exceptions are mostly due to luck. Luck meaning, when your hits come. Getting 1 hit every inning will yield much less runs then 9 hits in one inning, etc.

So by looking at league average BA/OBP/SLG percents with bases empty vs runners on, you can get a good idea of how lucky a team is getting. Based on this, Astros are getting extremely unlucky so far, as their numbers are actually worse with runners on, well before league average marks.

Here is the numbers I've compiled, as you can see we are by far the unluckiest team in our division. I will try to get the rest of teams, let me know if this link doesn't work:

1 person likes this.
  14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

It's interesting but also useless statistically because there are too many variables. I do agree that Marisnick is fun to watch because of his aesthetic style.

15. HorneR

HorneR Member

The difference is that our window for success is a lot larger than almost every other team in the league sans the Cubs. We jumped the gun last season. Got a brief taste of good old fashioned winning, and made plays to the detriment of the future. Obviously not totally damning, sell the farm types of moves, but shortsighted moves all the same.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I was against the Gomez trade then, and of course am now. (I was admittedly 100% behind the Kaz trade just to get that out there :grin:).

And it's not new. Plenty of teams apply the system of developing talent through the minors and supplementing in FA. Which in my mind is different then flipping talent for vet help. One system depletes a finite resource, while the other chips away at the subjective line of what ownership is willing to spend for a winning product. It's a lot easier to predict what you're gonna get spending in FA, and to budget around how exactly you should spend. But the bulk of a small market team should be built through a minor league system.

Totally get where you're coming from and we're still in position to do just that, but I don't want to see Luhnow blow his wad a year or two early on the strength of a 10 game winning streak. The goal of any franchise is to win a ship no doubt, but the goal of a GM should be sustained success. Alls I'm sayin'.

1 person likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You care so much, you don't even know his salary. For some reason you think he makes 20 million instead of 9. Who gives a flip about your opinion. You'll be gone soon as well.

17. Jay713

Jay713 Member

He'll be gone soon?

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just let it go man, this conversation never took place. :cool:

19. awc713

awc713 Member

This team will be fired up if Lance can mow down ARI tomorrow. We really need to dominate this part of the schedule.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Over his last 5 starts McHugh has a 3.41 ERA and basically a strikeout an inning. He's really starting to put it together.