1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamilton the musical

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Apr 18, 2016.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My daughter and friends are completely obsessed. since i'm going to be hearing it anyway, i bought the vinyl, and have to say i really enjoyed it.

tickets are impossible to come by- has anyone seen the broadway production?

2. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I came across a song by chance and loved what I heard. Haven't listened to the whole thing but I would love to go see it. I know that it is coming to Houston at the Hobby Center during the 2017-2018 season but I don't know if the date has been set yet.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You have to buy season tickets to get Hamilton tix

4. basso

Supporting Member

sold out in NYC until 2017 (except obstructed view, and those tickets are $240/ea.)

5. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

That's the only way to get tickets currently. As I understand it, they will be available for purchase individually next season.

http://www.thehobbycenter.org/?q=node/1724

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

It just won a Pulitzer for drama "as a landmark American musical"

I would have to subscribe to a season pass per the same policy above if I wanted to catch it on tour at the Pantages in LA.

I have seen the creator's previous hit, In The Heights, but I don't think I saw him in the role. It was a touring company. But it was fantastic.

7. basso

Supporting Member

"Hamilton is now be in the same company as Of Thee I Sing, South Pacific, Fiorello!, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, A Chorus Line, Sunday in the Park with George, Rent, and most recently Next to Normal."

http://www.playbill.com/article/hamilton-wins-2016-pulitzer-prize-com-347196

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Tickets impossible to get without "selling the farm?" Nuts. We might have to wait until the touring production hits Austin. It sounds great.

9. Bob Barker 007

Went with my sister up to New York City over spring break so she could see Hamilton for her birthday. She has been sick for a long time, so this was her first trip by plane in 10 years. She knows all about Broadway and says the performance was the best she has ever seen. I went to the Rodgers Theater the next night at midnight to get autographs when the cast left for the night. I'm pretty sure I got King George, Jefferson, Lafayette, and Washington. I would love to see it personally, but tickets are going for over $500 and I can't afford it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

I saw it - we got tickets seven months in advance and before the hype machine went crazy to end last year.

The music is great and understandable, but it's not really "album of the year" level like some writers were saying.

The musical itself is outstanding. The way the story is put together and you see the conflicts between this set of people ostensibly in the same team is great - I was commenting to my wife in the middle of the play that the framing was just so creative.

You don't need to read the biography to go in and understand the relationship between the main players... It's not just Hamilton and Washington and Jefferson.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is great but the guy who plays Lafayette/Jefferson is outstanding. And the women who play the Schuyler sisters are great - I think one of the best tracks is actually the female-led one.

The rap battles are shorter than expected but really nail the vibe in person. It was odd feeling the "oooooohhh" from a Broadway crowd during both of those scenes.

I cannot recommend it enough - at some point schools will make this required viewing for US history.

11. yo

yo Contributing Member

Like seriously, what's the best way to get reasonably priced tickets? I mean, the lowest I see is $700+, really?

12. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

We are off to see this next week, can't wait and is a highlight on the NY trip.

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

It'll probably be like Book of Mormon, where you can't easily get reasonable tickets until it's been out for like 3-4 years.

14. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Wife and I fly to NYC for a weekend to see it. Paid a small fortune for really good tickets. wow was it an amazing experience. i've only seen 2 musicals in my life b/c i'm not a muscial fan... Hamilton and Book of Mormon.

i'm 2 for 2.

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

The album is streaming on amazon Prime

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Does it cover the spy allegations?

17. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My daughter is totally crazy about this show too. She's 14. I should be happy I think. I can't get 700 dollar tickets but I'll try to support her love and interest in drama and public policy. I've seen a hundred youtube clips. She is crazy about it. It seems to be a good show and has a great message...I think they kind of shortchange Jefferson ...but I'm super excited to see the Hamilton message pushed forward. Maybe we will have more civically involved kids in the next generation.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My wife is a huge fan (obsessed) with Hamilton and as an anniversary present I got her tickets (don't a$k) for us to go see the show.

Saw it Tuesday (5/24) night. It was phenomenal. I am not a huge musical guy, but this was really well done. It lived up to the hype.

19. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I haven't seen the show but we've listened to the soundtrack multiple times and it's so good that we are looking to bite the bullet and make a trip to NY to see it live. I've had to tell my wife no multiple times but I have a feeling that we will just do it.

My daughter sang "You'll Be Back" to her fourth grade class today. She loves that song and sings it all the time.

It's on Spotify and I would recommend anyone to listen to the soundtrack but you have to start at the beginning so you get the story and appreciation of how the themes are interwoven throughout.

20. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

We saw this on our recent trip to the US, was without a doubt the best performance I have ever seen, it was that good.

Would pay big money to see it again no doubt about it. If any here get the opportunity to see it, especially with the original cast you need to do everything possible to get there.

It really is an all-star cast, Daveed Diggs was a real highlight for me.