1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Mar 17, 2015.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If he falls out of first round, teams would be stupid not to take a chance on him, maybe teams will use late first round pick and hope he pans out.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

His physique reminds me of Shaun Livingston when he came out of high school.

I'd feel scared for him playing in the NBA.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

<iframe width='640' height='360' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' src='https://sports.yahoo.com/video/zhou-qi-draft-workouts-185425449.html?format=embed' allowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/first-look--chinese-prospect-zhou-qi-200626779.html

DraftExpress was present at two workouts for Zhou Qi recently in Chicago and Dallas, just days before he is expected to return to China to join the senior national team in their preparation for the Rio Olympics this summer.

Measuring over 7-foot-2 in shoes with a 7-7 ¾ wingspan that ranks among the longest ever seen at an NBA combine or predraft setting, Zhou has the interest of franchises selecting in the mid- to late first round because of his mobility, soft shooting touch and rim-protection ability.

View photo
    Zhou Qi is an excellent shot-blocker. (AP)

Zhou Qi is an excellent shot-blocker. (AP)
    Zhou, DraftExpress’ No. 26 prospect, led the Chinese Basketball Association in blocks per game and per minute this year, comfortably edging out former NBA players Samuel Dalembert, Greg Oden, Dominic McGuire and Jerome Jordan with 3.2 blocks in 34 minutes per game. He also added 15.8 points and 9.8 rebounds, shooting 60 percent from the field and 76 percent from the free-throw line. His ability to stretch defenses beyond the three-point line, while providing a shot-blocking presence in the paint, is coveted in today’s NBA.

He has been working out in the States for the past two months in Dallas and Phoenix, and is currently traveling to different cities to work out for NBA teams privately before heading back to China on May 26. Zhou worked out in Boston and Memphis after the NBA combine, and has two more visits scheduled with teams on the West Coast before departing.

Zhou’s representatives expect to reach an agreement with the Chinese Basketball Federation to allow him to join the NBA in the near future, which should boost his draft stock. The plan is for him to work with an English tutor in China, work out and focus on his nutrition to help him prepare him for the rigors of the NBA. He has a significant following in China and is considered the best prospect to emerge in the country in some time.

His main challenge in reaching his potential is to add bulk to a lanky frame that weighed just 218 pounds at last week’s combine

4. SunsRocketsfan

he sort of has a bit of a weird shot and almost shoots it completely one handed.

What position is he going to play though? a PF? he's fortunate guys like Zach Randolph are a dying breed in the NBA and all we have now are stretch 4's. Otherwise with his rail thin body he'd get abused in the paint with guys over powering him.

5. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

He kind of looks awkward. But I think he might keep rising and go late lottery.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He reminds me of Dirk a bit.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

$$$$$$$

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Late lottery? nbadraft.net has him going 48th...

And holy chit, 21k+ views for this thread??? :eek::eek::eek:

10. omgTHEpotential

For a 7'2 guy, he looks really quick. I don't know what you're talking about.

11. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

There are many Chinese Rockets fans reading this thread.. that's all I can tell.

12. mig0s

mig0s Member

I had bigger biceps when i was 9

13. 2k1

2k1 Member

i dont get it. does he not know that he's undersized? like can he not tell that he needs to gain more weight?

14. omgTHEpotential

What don't you get? Some players can't just add weight overnight. Zhou will fill his frame naturally as he matures. He's a 20 year old kid. He isn't even close to his prime yet. It's better for him not to force the bulking up process.

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

He deserves a look, he is going to get pushed around. His core muscles needs work and time to grow.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

While I agree with most of this, I think his ability to begin adding weight at age 20 is important. How easily he can add muscle will definitely affect his development going forward.

With that being said, any 7 foot shot blocker that also shoots the 3 WILL be chanced on in the NBA, if they can walk and chew gum at the same time on defense.

He looks pretty quick imo. Good lateral movement as well. The NBA valuing him around 48 means he's either undervalued, or that he absolutely can not will more weight onto his frame in the near future. I'm inclined to think the latter.

Does anyone with a better scouting pedigree think this kid is going to be great?

17. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

He added about 10 lbs over last year.

18. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2016/05/23/zhou-qi-ridiculous-vertical/

Guess his jump shots would be hard to block.

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

20. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

He looks improved compared to the first video. If he's does well this summer in Brazil, he may be consider a first rounder. I think if he keeps improving, he will be top 10 NBA pick in another year or two.