1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Europe in July

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, May 21, 2016.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Switzerland is amazing! Interlaken, Montreux, Geneva, etc. Simply breathtaking Country.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

San Sebastian does look quite amazing. Have to go there one day.

3. Bob Barker 007

Morocco is only a short flight away from Barcelona. I think that's something to consider if you have never been.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

there are so many places in europe its really endless. san sebastian is the hidden jewel of spain but madrid, sevilla, granada etc there is so much in that you really cant go wrong. my main point here is when do you intend to be near pamplona again perfectly coinciding with san fermines? chances are pretty low so therefore you pretty much HAVE to go to running of bulls. you will come back and besides those 4 lady boys in pattaya you will remember this san fermin trip forever. like i will never post again if you come nack and say its not on your top 10 or even 5 of trips in your whole life. I internet mean it. and bookend that with a little zermatt or cinque terre? yup im officially jealous. and yes you will be 'balla' for sure. as balla if you can get points for san sebastian the order of hotels goes like this -> maria cristina -> hotel londres->hotel parma -> hostel etc

yes definitely worth it especially in summer. very nice atmosphere...would recommend to go april -aug..it can be quite rainy in fall

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Or a 45 minute ferry to Tangiers. That's an experience.

6. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I was just in Barcelona. I recommend eating at Bar Cañete. Service was a bit aloof, but the food was the best I had in 2 weeks in Europe. If you plan on going in La Sagrada Familia or getting a tour at Parc Guell, book in advance.

Switzlerland is beautiful, but a burger is $30 and a water is $9 at a nice restaurant. Lucerne is stunning.

7. Oz Rocket

Oz Rocket Member

Running of the Bulls is something that i did many moons ago. Stayed in San Sebastián and caught the bus to Pamplona the day before the running of the bulls.

One big party in the middle of town during the day, sangria and fine food, slept in the park and then we all ran with the bulls the next day.

Did the run then went back to bus stop to head back to San Sebastián.

Two of the best days of my life.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

45 minutes from where barcelona?

9. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

45mns to Tangiers would be from Algesiras in south Spain.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ahh ok got you. I looked at the map and was confused :grin:

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Interesting I have avoided Scandinavia due to the high costs.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

We did not run, but my wife and I loved Pamplona and the running of the bulls. I agree that the very beginning and even the day before are best. I still wear my very heavy Pamplonada shirt some drunken Irish guy exchanged for my cheap Pamplona shirt.

Tip-- get there a day or two before and go on foot to try to find a reasonable place to stay if you don't want to sleep on the street. It worked for us about 15 years ago. We feared we were going to have to sleep in the car we rented in Barcelona.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yep. CASE CLOSED

As for tangier, just don't do it man. Tangier is the equivalent of nuevo laredo, tijuana or any craphole border town. Except they don't even have a donkey show to redeem themselves.

Tangier is one of the crappier places I have been and I have been a lot of crappy ass places. If you are going to go to morocco I would say to go to marrakech on a plane and screw the whole ferry scene via gibraltar. Its not like the ferry is 5 minutes across. It's a whole shi**t show itself.

In marrakech you will get the whole africa/morocco scene while not getting as much of the other drama. well not as much. In tangier everyone and I mean EVERYONE wants to be your guide. People will follow you smiling very creepily. We were sitting at an outdoor cafe and at one point some dude comes up and takes a spoonful of sugar and starts eating it like ice cream. As for the guides, finally you will relent and get forced into some 3 hour demo about a rug that basically is extortion just to get out it. They will keep you there trying to sell you something you don't want.

If you accidentally briefly happen to accidentally look at something that immediately means you want to buy it and they will hound you to no end basically following you. Very very pushy and I have been to some pushy ass places. If you insist on going to tangier I would perhaps look at doing it through something organized as a group well before you even step foot in morocco.. because as solo you will surely feel unsafe and pretty much get robbed/ bamboozled.

Tangier rates about as low on my list of places I have ever been. Just don't do it. Sure maybe I was there at a bad time for the place or what, but shady ass, lame ass place. Not representative of better places in morocco. dont do tangier please.

14. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Annecy, France is amazing!

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

how rampant are the touts in marrakech? and have u visited places like casablanca, fez, chefchaouen? i've heard exactly the same warnings about tangier, and to a lesser extent fez -- the reason i've been putting off a morocco trip for a while now

16. playlife

playlife Member

I've been to marrakech, chefchaouen, fez and Essaouira....The touts are not too bad, most will hassle you when you just arrived to the city with your luggage. I think the worst one is in Fez for me but overall the touts are not as bad as Egypt in my experience.

You should not worry about the touts and just go....Chefchaouen and Essaouira are awesome.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thanks bro....and i hadn't considered essaouira before, but will look into it.....can already taste the seafood tagines right now :grin:

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

bumpity bump.

plz please please tell me you are going to san fermines. my fb people are posting pics from san sebastian right now. (so beautiful this time)and Im feeling that feeling I get this time of year every year when I know Im not going to make it to pamplona for the festivities. it is a painful feeling.

the joy enters my mind knowing it will be soon enough again and 2017 is starting to look strong. hopefully OP can go and get his stamp of approval..then plan to do a clutch fans meet in 2017 pamplona. say what say what anything can happen