1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google is celebrating BLACK SUPREMACY

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jcee15, May 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I gave my opinion of Kochiyama when I quoted her opinion of Osama bin Laden. I suggest you read it. You are the one bringing strawmen to this discussion. This is not a discussion about Asian stereotypes.

Btw, what issues do you have with her activism (other than black supremacy) that we are not discussing?

2. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

Fair enough;

I read her bio, so I know the quote. If that is your opinion, then I don't know why you did not expand on mine when I said I disagreed with her on role models and views on Terrorism. I cited her background and how the racism in the US during and after the War might have drawn her to extremism.

If you are seriously asking for discussion, I think despite her flaws; she remains a figurehead of Asian-American activism and is quite noted for her contributions. I think she was one of the first that paved way to protests we saw when Vincent Chen was murdered in 82. I also think she might have played a key figure in organizations like the Red Guard Party (a radical Asian-American youth organization). Can't agree with their methodology as they failed to inspire the majority, but at least they opened up the road for Asians to speak up in the future.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

But it's Current Year

A double standard is a double standard

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, some do it by putting an MLK quote in their sig.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Black pride promotes separatism just like white pride... both are bad because neither brings people together.

So be proud... and be separate or drop that weak minded crap and move towards a place where we don't have to argue about stupid things like this.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So, what is your response to a little black girl that gets bullied at school because her hair isn't like the other girls?

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/af...air/-/1637132/23159400/-/ajs6jbz/-/index.html

I get that "Black Pride." makes some white people feel uncomfortable but just like that SNL Beyonce skit, not everything is for them. It is a response for centuries of dehumanization and if you ask me, still very much needed until people have the self-esteem and be proud of the way they are born.

People say it is in the past and I wish it was, that is still the present for many. In fact, just research a bit about afro-latino people and you'll kind of understand the amount of self-hate that happens in "Black" communities and groups of people with large amount of african roots.

Contextually it's just not the same. When we have no more stories like the one I linked then that is when the past becomes the past. Until then, extreme discrimination wasn't even a lifetime ago. Historically, that is still the present.

7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

My response would have been two part...First and foremost, bullying shouldn't be allowed , and that should be dealt with swiftly.

Secondly, I would explain that there are rules to follow that are meant for everyone regardless of race, creed, or color.

JayGoogle, don't take this as a personal attack, because I think we have been pretty open minded with each other...It's not that black pride makes whites, or hispanic (which I am) or any other groups feel uncomfortable. I think that everyone is sick of hearing how people using their heritage to feel that they are owed something or deserve special treatment.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What should she do to her hair?

The school was telling her to change her hair, that's how it naturally falls. I can tell you by experience that is how her hair looks when she wakes up and combs it. I know, I have hair exactly like that. She's not really styling her hair a certain way, it just looks like that if she washes and combs it, it just looks like that.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/orlando-private-school-wont-expel-african-american-girl-over-hair-

That was an update on the story, there were no guidelines or rules that says her hair cannot be like that and if there were then they should be changed. They may as well be telling her to lighten her skin.

If we are going to be uniting then we have to celebrate diversity too. That includes not telling little girls that having hair like that is bad or distracting. Instead the school should be teaching other children that just like people are born with different skin colors, they are born with different textures of hair and that they should get used to it because some people hair grows out like that.

I never take things personal, I'm willing to be open and discuss viewpoints always.

But, I do think it makes some people feel that way, but that is just my outlook on it. I guess to discuss that means we wouldn't get any where, I'm sure there are many people who don't feel uncomfortable with it as well. I think a lot of people just don't understand the history behind the term.

Also, I don't think saying black pride is asking for any special favors or treatment. It is simply a response to years of being told that how you are and who you came from is not good enough. In this case of this little girl it's to tell her that her hair is fine the way it is. Having the ability to wear your hair naturally shouldn't be a special treatment.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

First, she should cut her hair. I'm guessing it's been a damn long time since she's cut it. That's ridiculous. Second, it's pretty obvious the origin of things like black pride. A lot of white people are tired of hearing about it because they think discrimination against minorities ended in the sixties. They're willfully ignorant to the nature of discrimination today and in fact they frequently push the reverse discrimination argument despite all the data.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lmao big texxx being baited into siding with an open racist....

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

OP is the reason sterilization procedures need to exist.

12. okierock

I'm not sure what you do but if you come at this problem together instead of separate you will have much better results. We always beats us and them.

13. Apps

Apps Member

When will people understand that "Black Pride" is not only a racial signifier, but also an ethnic one? When an entire group of people gets brought over to another country and is stripped of their tribal affiliations, their ethnicity, their language, and their religion, then they obviously need a new set of cultural markers upon which to build their identity.

The identity of "Black" was something which was forced upon slaves as a catch-all term designed to dehumanize and commodify them. They used that terminology, however, to separate themselves from the brutality of their "white" owners, and it came to mean more than just their racial identity, but also their ethnic identity much in the same way one might have "Irish Pride" or "Polish Pride" or "Mexican Pride", etc.

The people who think "Black Pride" is "divisive" have to be some of the most narrow-minded, myopic, historically ignorant people out there. This **** goes deeeeeep into history and culture and sociology, and those complications are in large part due to the vast amounts of messed up stuff that whites in America have forced Blacks to endure. The fact that whites now have a problem with Blacks trying to regain a sense of identity and cultural cohesion has to be the height of hypocrisy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't blackie!

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They just had to show that they are #WOKE

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, agreed. But attacking the problem by telling the girl that her bullies were right probably isn't the best way to go at that problem I feel.

Any ways, I guess I've made my stance clear on this. Mississippi still has to desegregate schools...I mean come on...racism is still present.

While I think many of us would love to just move past race completely, that's just not the reality of the nation right now.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Slight disagreement.

1. Why can't white people also appreciate black pride? It's different than black supremacy or something like that. Can't everybody celebrate the accomplishments? As has been said some of those accomplishments are even more special because of discrimination and prejudiced faced.

If one group of mountain climbers lopped off the legs of other mountain climbers and the one legged climbers still made it to the top of Mount Everest that would be a special matter of pride for them. Anybody that makes to the top and down has done something monumental and can be proud, but the one-legged climbers have overcome greater adversity in their rise to the top.

Surely plenty of people with two legs could appreciate that. I don't think celebrating that has to be divisive.

2. a. Black pride and White pride aren't exactly the same. One was created to celebrate the fact that a particular race has been used to make people of that race feel less, and keep them separate. Black pride counteracts the idea that anyone should feel ashamed of their race.

b. white pride was used to belittle people of another race, and later as a reaction to black pride.

c. Nobody would be upset with Irish pride, Celtic pride, French Pride, or things of that nature.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

How about Southern Slave Owner Heritage Pride? Or Rapers of the New World Pride?

1 person likes this.
  18. okierock

You can believe that it is somehow not divisive if you like but the amount of disagreement you will get is all the proof you need to know you are wrong. I don't disagree that people should be less easily offended but if you want to end racism I don't think this is in any way a good road to take.

19. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

It boils down to a dress code violation. If the school has no leg to stand on, then they should back off. Claiming it as a distraction would not hold water I wouldn't think.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that it is divisive, but I don't understand why. I know why it would be to racists, but that isn't who we should cater towards.