1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight gone based on this article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, May 19, 2016.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

What strikes me the most about this interview is that he's been in the NBA for a dozen years and may be even worse at doing media stuff now than he was when he entered the league. And that's saying a lot for someone who once told an interviewer that one of his main goals in the NBA was to get a Christian cross added to the logo. Dwight honestly thinks he's saying the right things, but he's so clueless about how he comes across that he's actually throwing away FA-contract dollars by the hundreds of thousands every time he opens his mouth.

In fact, Dwight's media-handling abilities parallel his post game: When he entered the league, he could rely on his youth and enthusiasm to bail him out of trouble when he said or did something stupid. Consequently, he never bothered to develop a media game beyond just spouting whatever idiotic crap pops into his mind.

Same with his post game: When he entered the league, he could rely on his size and other-worldly athleticism to dominate in the paint. Consequently, he never bothered to develop a real post game beyond just tossing up the occasional baby hook.

This is baffling because it's obvious from the shape that he keeps himself in that Dwight is an extremely hard worker when it comes to fitness. Why hasn't he bothered to work as hard at his post game or his media game?
    <BR>

1 person likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right... It seems like rep was bad before... But now even worse

3. ApuN

ApuN Member

Guy deserves it.

He has shown a pattern of "****ting-on-everybody-else-to-cover-my-sorry-ass" his whole career with every team he's been on

You need to wipe the brownstuff of your glasses so you can see the truth

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can't take Dwight seriously when his argument is he knows better than Morey because he's played the game...

Your HOF coach just said you lost your post game not too long ago. You know better than him, too?

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What truth? That the owner and general manager of my lifelong favorite basketball team has turned what once was a storied club into a mockery by kicking players and coaches to the curb and continue to try and convince me that they are really trying to win? So the history of a player will allow the sheeple to conveniently ignore the bigger problems. Naive fans deserve everything that is heading this way so enjoy.

How do those blinders fit now?

6. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Dwight's rep is worse. Mostly this shows that Morey and co. weren't willing to sugarcoat things for a head case player. I'd say that makes what's left of the organization look good, at least to anyone who actually wants to win.

If the question is "will stars feel they are always going to be supported?", look at the Knicks and Melo. That's not what I want my team to be like.

Morey is usually right, but he doesn't have the best people skills. He needs a coach who knows how to manage his players to complement him. The problem with McHale is that player management was his only skill. He didn't know anything else.

7. kevtse

kevtse Member

Well said man. Thats why I want JVG back

8. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

It's obvious, the org. doesn't need Howard, Howard is a elite player, but he can't understand what the team needs him to do. If he can't change his attitude, he can't be success in any nba team

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Barkley said the same thing a year or so go about how Morey is clueless and got into analytics because he couldn't play (or get girls) in high school.

Jock mentality.

"I'm better than you and know more because I played and you didn't. You're opinions don't matter at all."

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I could understand it in some circumstances...but it's just stupid to say it here, when McHale basically confirmed what we've all been seeing, that Dwight has lost it. So it's Dwight vs Morey/McHale/Fans/analysts/etc...just looks bad for him.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Please...everybody knows Dwight sucks as a post player...i mean, everybody.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Because it's not the GM's job to coach the team. He should refer him to the coaches.

13. Codeskye

Codeskye Member

dwight asked a GM, of course the GM answered. why was he shocked that it didn't come from the coach?

how about asking the coach that same question?

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

just finished reading this whole Q & A..

I wouldnt be surprised to see Dwight in better physical shape next year, considering he's working with the head guy at NASM.....He says he's healthy, but yet they got him working with this guy? Just because he's not in pain, doesn't mean he's healthy..

It's just too bad he's focused on the money and not winning. Obviously won't be back here.

The whole thing about his emotions, mentality, and having a psych is disappointing....too little too late, Dwight. You needed the help earlier.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

If you find yourself agreeing with the likes of Barkley and FTW rest assured you're not a bright person.

In case you haven't paid attention tho, this is team THREE in about five years where dwight has left on bad terms. He deserves absolutely no benefit of the doubt from anyone anymore.

#215 SWTsig, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

one charitable explanation might be that Daryl recruited him, Daryl signed him, and Daryl perhaps had earlier made promises to him. So only natural for Howard to go to Daryl with those questions. Especially with McHale gone (who had probably also figured in some of those earlier promises). And maybe Dwight didn't have much of a relationship with JBB. who knows.

17. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

So Dwight didnt respect Morey's answer because he never played the game. Kobe played the game, Nash played. Shaq? All played better than him. He found reasons not to listen to them either. Seems more like Dwight's gonna do what Dwight's gonna do.

18. Codeskye

Codeskye Member

actually, he got it wrong.

just like a regular job, if you have an issue/problem/concern, you go to your supervisor first, then manager, then your manager's manager.

dwight should've first asked coach JBB about his role directly. undermining someone (in this case, coach JBB). undermining someone is a no-no, especially in business.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

What questions? He already had more post touches than anybody in the league, and he sucks in the post so, again, what questions?

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Touches dont equal shots. There are alot of ways to get a guy like dwight touches . One way is not having a pnr 27ft from the rim. One way is running a backscreens from the blocks or dives off a high /low. I dont know if it came from management or not, but he can still be effective.