1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni gets a 2nd interview with Rockets for head coaching position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, May 17, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Good! Wouldn't surprise me if they leaked wrong information to these twitter fools / sources.

3. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

TL:DR we took too long to hire a coach and now we're stuck in a lesser of two evils scenario.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yeah I said something to that end in another thread:

This whole process just has us all in knots here. I sort of can't wait till it's over.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol, JR is on fire

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

What if J.B. really didn't remove his name from consideration and Kenny Smith is still in the running? :eek::p

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think anyone will argue that the Rockets were unbearable to watch this past season. But hiring D'Antoni isn't gonna fix that. I don't care who the coach is. When you have only one playmaker, no reliable 3-point shooters, and almost no big men who can make free throws you're going to have a stagnant, ugly offense even if you wind up scoring a lot of points.

What the team needs is an infusion of talent. If Les is hellbent on trying to recreate the Steve Nash era Suns, so be it . But that team had one of the best point guards of his generation, terrific shooters and finishers, and an athletic big man in Amare. We have James Harden and that's about it barring massive improvement from Capela, Harrell, and McDaniels next season.

And BTW, if that is Les' plan, it only reinforces that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Not only do we not have anything close to the talent the Suns had, but that team never even made it to the Finals never mind winning the championship. Why would you wanna emulate that?

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

OMG. Co-head coaches? Maybe, just maybe, Kenny comes back and is a player coach for the Rockets! Kenny Smith is the only man who can really set Harden up on offense. I love it!

9. R=$

R=$ Member

This is Les going outside the BOX! This may make for a more interesting team than with JVG. Could be a good move to relief Harden of all the O duties, can place more energy into D.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Top assistants are out? I thought they were still under consideration; certainly hope so (ahem Sam-my).

11. bmd

bmd Member

There is so much going on that we aren't privy to. Look, Morey and co. have the same goal as us fans do. They want the best coach possible to lead the team. Trust that they are taking this seriously and will make the best decision possible with the information they have. There is so much more that they know that we don't through this process. Let them work.

People seem to act like if something isn't being reported then it isn't happening. Just because there aren't reports out there doesn't mean things aren't moving. People have the impression that when information from reporters is slow then that means that it's slow behind the scenes. That couldn't be further from the truth.

You can be sure that Morey is doing his job daily and working hard. He's not just dicking around like people seem to be implying.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To people literally forget that MDA coached at two different places AFTER his Suns tenure? And failed horribly at both?

People act as if he's simply been plotting his excellent Suns offense since Nash's MVP days ever since... and he's ready to take it to his next stop.

He's the biggest re-tread candidate out there... and he has significant issues, whether its defense, how he relates to players, or how he often rubs people the wrong way at each and every stop. You don't see many ex-players going to bat for him, wanting to go to war for him... you do see that with JVG.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

If anything, the Clippers are set to play like the Nash Suns. Were more built to be the Drexler Blazers. We just need to find our Terry Porter and at least 2 reliable players off the bench like Ainge and Cliff Robinson were.

I'd really love Adleman back because i see him working with Harden like he did with Drexler.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Because he didn't have Steve Nash in his prime. As great as Harden is, he's not gonna be able to run D'Antoni's offense the way Nash did. This will wind up going no better than when he coached the Lakers.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

MDA head coach
    Nash offensive coach
    Hollins defensive coach

16. boiler

boiler Member

It's been reported that Harden will have a say in picking the next HC. Will Les & Morey have the gut to veto Harden's pick?

17. ibm

ibm Member

why why why why why why whywhy why why why why why why

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

At the end of Mike D'Antoni's coaching career, he coached the Lakers for 2 years:

12'-13' (45 wins, 37 losses - went to playoffs) with Steve Nash (PG), Kobe (SG), Pau Gasol (PF), Dwight Howard (C)

13'-14' (27 wins, 55 losses) with Steve Nash (PG), Kobe (SG), Pau Gasol (C)

After seeing these last 2 superstar rosters he worked with, I don't see how he could take the Rockets to the next level, even when he went to the playoffs in 12'-13' and lost 0-4...

19. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

This move would push me away as a fan...

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My signature says it all...