1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas v. K-State

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Sep 29, 2003.

1. haven

haven Member

Taking Baqui's suggestion and shifting discussion to next week's game...

What, we need to hurry up and plan strategy so that they don't surprise us :D ? Absolutely nothing we do has any bearing on the reste of our season! regardless...

I really don't like spying, generally. Roberson is effective enough in the pocket to be able to pick us apart. That man is just wasted all to often when he commits to spy.

Well, taking our LB's off the line so as to let them hit right behind the linemen may be effective. Of course, it won't be done. The mugging shall never end :(.

Actually, I think there's a problem in not passing to Roy enough at times. Every so often, Mock seems to decide, "ok, we need to get the other guys involved to... and simply won't pass to Roy. Roy being the 2nd option is ok every now and then. Passing into coverage when Roy has beat man cover is just plai nstupid. And Mock's done it several times this year.

All hail to the TE seam route. May it be used more often

Jeffery? Why? I'd prefer to use verticle passing with Roy, BJ, Sloan, and both TE's and maybe Selvin Young. I think he's the 7th best option on vertical routes. IOW, not going to get to him...

We can only hope that the new blockign scheme is taking effect...

[quote7. Being loud as hell, and make a true home-field advantage for the Horns.[/quote]

Does this mean we can kick the alumni out of their seats at the 50? UT really does screw its' studetn body.

Kicking is fine. Scholarship punter might be nice...

DON'T DROP THE DAMNED BALL!

How about #11:

Can we effectively utilize V-Young as the ridiculously dangerous option he is without going to a true 2 QB system?

2. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Me either, but with the quickness, smarts, and just overall game I have seen out of DJ in the last couple of weeks, I thInk we have just the man for the job.

BY NO MEANS SHOULD A SAFETY BE USED

PS-

Look for a big game out of Rod Wright this week.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

however we were able to stop ksu last year, well, do it again. they're pretty much the same team on offense from last year right? i'm scared as hell of trying to tackle roberson and sproles (especially if reed boyd gets there first) with how much we've been missing this year. oh, and if you're like the 3rd guy of a group of 3 pursuing a guy to the sidelines, how about you play the cutback instead of every damn one of you overrunning the play. can we do that please? it's like our whole defense just goes balls out in one direction and if you cut back we're dead. just one person, that's all i'm asking, play the cutback.

it doesn't seem ksu's defense has been that great this year so hopefully we can score some points.

please don't screw this up. the media will hate us forever if we lose this game. and dammit start another home winning streak.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

How 'bout predictions while we're at it.

I sense a 21-point win coming up soon for the Horns...could be this week, but I wouldn't mind it being next week. :)

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

By keeping a LB at the LOS, we prevent Roberson from making the big play. I don't mind letting Ell stay in the pocket, where he's not nearly as dangerous. It works a helluva lot better than mugging Boyd into a 300 lb. Guard.

Cory Redding absolutely dominated the KSU line last year, and really put the hurt on Roberson coming off the end several times. We need a similar performance from Pickryl or Mike Williams next week. All indications are that Williams is ready to go this week. A big hit on Roberson will take him out, and in comes Jeff Schwinn for the Cats. Also, remember last year's game in Manhattan was Rod Wright's coming out party.

This route and the other plays bringing the TE into the flats will be open all day long. Mock needs to see the progression and dump it off quickly in the face of the KSU pass rush. This is a defense unlike any that our QBs have seen all year.

No. Mack's nuts shrivel up in big games, and this one is no exception. Don't expect Young to even see the field in the first half.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

With a coach as tough as Snyder, I wonder why KSU chokes as much as Texas. The eyes of college football will be upon Texas, lets not have a meltdown this weekend. It's a real toss up. Both teams have something to prove. A win would turn down the heat for the eventual loss to OU.

7. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

in the words of a drunken redneck, "Give it to Benson!"

IMO, as long as we play the two Youngs, I think we'll be ok.

8. NachbarSucks

NachbarSucks Member

Kansas State 63 Texas 10

9. tozai

tozai Member

63-10? hahaha

I'm not even going to comment on that, because either you're just trying to get us worked up or you don't know anything about Texas.

I don't think KState is as big a game as it's made out to be. No doubt we need to win it, but they are ranked behind us and I don't see why they are considered so much more dangerous than OSU, Nebraska, or Tech. It's still a must-win, but so is every game on our schedule.

You have to give Greg Davis credit for the playcalling, even if it was against an inferior opponent. There was much more variety, and I'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself...You know, shriveling up instead of opening up the playbook. Robin's run play better not be called again unless it's with Selvin as a misdirection when Vince is in. That horizontal passing will get eaten up by OU. Roy can get away with it against worse teams, but it's not going to work in the Big XII. DOWNFIELD please...

We did use our TE and our FB. Hopefully Ivan will be healthy in time.

We didn't mug much at all (almost none) except for on the very first play.

Tackling is still a major issue.

Injuries in the secondary might be a problem, but Geiggar, Ross, and Brown are not much of a step down IMO.

Kicking game was MUCH better, hopefully McGee's confidence will stay up.

The O-Line is definitely improved, but how much so we don't really know yet.

I hope they make sure our speed doesn't kill us. If DJ overpursues too much, I don't know how we're going to stop Sproles.

There have been some positive signs in the Tulane game, but most of us are still hesistant that the same old crap is going to come back up again. Hopefully it won't and we'll play to our potential.

Oh yeah, and I think Vince will get 1/3 of the meaningful snaps like last game, although I wish it was more 50/50.

10. mduke

mduke Member

38- 21 Texas

11. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

K State is gonna be pissed off though. The Marshall game should have them fired up, plus Roberson will be back. Texas and K State both underachieve (IMO) every year.

Should be an interesting game, but I think K State wins. I hope I'm wrong though, because if you guys win, it helps us (CU) win the Big XII North that much easier.

12. NachbarSucks

NachbarSucks Member

We murdered you a couple of years ago in your place by 50. We can do it again. I'll adjust it a little, KSU 50 Texas 20.

13. Baqui99

You mean in '99? There's not a single player on either team that's left from that squad. Meanwhile, the Horns went into Manhattan last year, and left with a win.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And it also wasn't by 50.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm so scared after Marshall went into your place and won. Marshall!

16. drapg

drapg Member

I sooo wish I was in Austin again.

Corso, Fowler, and Herbstreit will be in Austin for the game to separate "the pretenders from contenders"

They better not show Chance Mock during the former part of that sentence in their opening, like 2 weeks ago.

Someone in Austin needs to go down to the set and put up a "Trev Alberts sucks" sign... seriously.

Oh, and... Texas 37 KSU 24

#16 drapg, Sep 30, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  17. Baqui99

Done and done. I'll be there Saturday morning with my Trev sucks sign.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

How's Texas going to defend the run? Their only test this year, versus Arkansas, was a complete failure.

19. drapg

drapg Member

I'll be watching for you. Do you know where they're setting up shop? South Mall? By the fountain? Near the stadium?

20. haven

haven Member

You know, that was one of the 3-4 weirdest games I've ever seen in college football.

Not in the sense that UT loses. Any team gets upset now and then, and UT gets outschemed more than most. Nor in the sense that Arkansas ran the ball effectively against UT. Arkansas almost always has a good running game and UT is usually weakest against the run.

No, it was the way that Arkansas athletes really did look better. They're not. I've watched as much footage of Arkansas as possibe since that game, since they looked like title contenders out of nowhere then. They've won since they beat us... but they look every bit of a merely good team. Their athletes aren't great, outside of a few.

But for that one day... their athletes were better. Not just smarter or better prepared, but better. It's one of only 4-5 upsets I've seen in recent years where a team with significantly more natural talent was out-talented that badly.

Weird game. And then, despite all of that (And Arkansas did look *much* better than UT)... it really came down to turnovers. So it was strange on many fronts...