1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Blizzard's Overwatch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I've had my eye on Ovewatch for quite a while, as it really looked like something I'd enjoy. I'm not big into competitive FPSes, but the ones I got into the most were Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, very much objective-based games rather than pure K/D ratio nonsense as far as these things go. Pure deathmatch really doesn't interest me very much; I like a larger goal, and multiple ways to contribute to a team beyond just killing people.

As a class-based shooter, Overwatch succeeds at this brilliantly. You can play a support or tank hero and contribute greatly to your team without killing anyone on the opposing team at all. My favorite hero is Reinhardt, a huge knight in armor who can project a big energy shield in front of him that will block enemy fire while allowing his team's shots through, effectively making him the offensive lineman of Overwatch. I find it immensely satisfying to shield my teammates while they dish out the damage, while using his hammer and his charge attack to disrupt the other team when the situation calls for it.

The game is also great at both being balanced and unbalanced in precisely the right ways. Unbalanced because every character is good in a few areas, but weak in others; every hero is strong against certain other heroes, yet weak against others. Balanced because it's hard to argue that a few heroes stand out from the rest; they all have their uses. Blizzard was also smart to allow mid-match changing of heroes, as it makes the game much more dynamic, and avoids one team being screwed for an entire match because they were wrong in anticipating the other team's composition. It also gives the edge to versatile players; people who rigidly stick with one hero and refuse to change based on the situation will find themselves on the losing end of things more often than not.

I also really like how Blizzard has opted to display match statistics. They don't even display K/Ds for everyone at all, because if they did, it would inherently minimize the importance of support characters who are never going to rack up a bunch of kills. Instead, the game highlights up to four people at the end of each match who played their class particularly well, whether it was healing teammates, blocking damage, or whatever. This is somewhat similar to what Battlefield did with its point system, in which someone who got ten kills could beat someone who got forty kills in points because they were marking people and playing the objective, etc. Changing what stats get displayed actually changes the way people play the game in a very positive way by rewarding team play.

I really, really like this game. When the open beta ended, I just wanted to keep playing, and no other game is getting it done for me in its absence. Everything else now just seems a little boring in comparison. This next week of waiting is going to be agony... I think it will take at least a few weeks of playing it before I feel the urge to play anything else again. The game is that compelling to me.

Man can Blizzard ever make the hell out a video game when they put their minds to it.

If you're interested in picking the game up, I'd encourage checking out these quick guides to get familiar with the game's large cast of 21 characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVwl1KmefiI&list=PLOW3wTM0_w5_CVjO9q3r5dlTpDf9udg8s

Meanwhile, here's ten minutes' worth of plays that highlight what can be done when a team really works together.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6lRrFlHyPj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Anybody buy/play this yet? Gamestop has a tempting offer to trade in a PS3 for more credit towards a PS4. I'm going to get Uncharted, but I was wondering if Overwatch was also worth it.

There hasn't been any reviews out yet (IGN, metacritic), so I'm not sure what to expect.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I only played it a little but, I guess I don't understand the draw. I wasn't hugely into TF2, and perhaps that's why I don't particularly love this game (and I really wanted to). Is it just because it's a Blizzard game that everyone is going nuts over it or what?

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've played TF2 since it came out and it's still fun to me.

I'll try Overwatch out I guess but it feels like I'm cheating on TF2. Do they have dedicated servers?

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Probably. Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo have had more hours played than any 3 game series in history I would surmise. So yes that has a lot to do with it.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Makes sense to me. I didn't have a lot of fun in my brief experience with it. I guess I prefer more individually focused shooters.

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Played way too much TF2 in college, so hopefully this game won't be a bust. Had to get it for Xbone since all my friends are console peasants.

If I really get into it I'll get the PC version

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Just bought it. Mostly for my nieces/nephews to play when visiting. Will update later.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Played a ton during open beta a couple of weeks ago.

Figuring out how to use each character's strengths and weaknesses keeps it interesting. Also, finding the right mix of skills in a match to maximize synergy gives it some teamplay value. A team of people all going "lone wolf" is not a winning strategy.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Haa well I haven't played it personally. all I meant was there would be excitement for a Blizzard game because of their history.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm a huge Blizzard fan, so I certainly respect the name and the amount of draw it provides. I just wish I felt the same way, I suppose.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So how do we feel about this game, fellow Clutchfans? I bought it this weekend and I've found myself quickly addicted. Needs more game modes, but that should come in time. Favorite characters?

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am loving the game. The game modes really encourage teamwork and, as others have said, situationally maximizing your characters.

I'm playing a lot of D.Va; I love her ability to attack, quickly move and detonate her mech.

If I'm healing, I go for Zenyatta. Stay back and launch orbs.

I've been playing with Mei a bit, too, but haven't devoted a lot of time to her yet.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This game is addicting as ****.

I probably have 100 hours in and haven't even touched half the characters.

Rocket Chick, Soldier 76 are my three go tos on attack, but I will pick up tank or healing if my team is stupid and doesn't know what to do.

On defense it always turret guy, or ice lady if there is already a turret guy.

My only complaint is the minute wait time on payload maps. They need to spawn the defenders closer on the setup to speed things up.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My Personal Favorites

Offense: Soldier 76
    Defense: Mei (super OP character, admittedly) or Junkrat
    Tank: Not a huge fan of these types, but I roll with Road Hog from time to time
    Support: Lucio and Symmetra

16. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Bastion is my dude.

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

come on, man. only noobs play bastion.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe you need a hot shooting Harden character JK.....

Good to see the game having success with gamers :)

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They really need to nerf Baston in an update.

Most games played as Reinhardt then Symmetra. Winston is starting to grow on me.

IMO, Reinheardt and Lúcio/Mercy are the most important characters if you want to win.

I haven't gotten into a real FPS in maybe 10 years, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nobody needs a nerfing more than McCree. His flash bang then fan the hammer move is far too powerful. Shreds through anybody.