1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Durant signs with Spurs, trade Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smuduffy, May 10, 2016.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Should I open a new "Should we trade for Rubio" thread?

2. lionaire

lionaire Member

If so, hopefully Harden is the Paul Pierce in this situation and Al Horford is the Ray Allen.

3. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

lol why would Minny do that? They wouldnt even do Harden + Dwight for Towns.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

The best teams in the NBA always employ that strategy. See a dynasty? Best course is to wait it out until teams are only sort of good.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Durant signs with the Spurs, the rest of the league can end their respective experiments.

Kawhi + KD + LMA + Pop + Buford = monopoly.

6. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

why does the team just want Durant? If we can get a defensive coach, we can compete
    The team is too underrated now because of the last season's Failure

7. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Wait, why would Durant sign with the Spurs when Okc is about to close them out in 6?

That would be taking a step backwards. Doesn't make sense.

8. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

so I don't post much...been on here along time and I do read, but not a big poster. however, this thread got a 1 star rating :) I think it's a quality conversation. The Moses Malone poster added more to it than I started with. But, basically, it comes down to...

2 years left of Harden. Broken down team as we stand today (this isn't a year ago, let that team go, its not coming back in that form).

Current Team: Harden, Capela,Beasley, KJ McD, DMo, Bev (backup),Harrell, Dekker?. I like Harden and Capela really on that list...honestly I do like DMO still and Bev as a backup, but DMO is probably fools gold with health; and bev really isn't a good defender anymore, so not the 3 and D player we really need. A lot of these players I had higher hopes for this season, but now reality has set in.

I don't think you can build a championship team by paying a Center max money, unless he can shoot free throws or rules change. We need a legit PF that can shoot the 3 and play D to pair with Harden, if we go that route. UNLESS we get Durant. Then, I will give you that Harden/Durant+Whoever is a good enough shot at a title. But, outside of durant, I think you are just wasting money on average players that will have awful contracts.

And, this is why this thread exists. Its not a Harden bash. Its just a realistic look at what happens next if we don't get Durant. I don't see a scenario where I can look at the team even with rose-colored glasses and see a real chance at winning anything. So...

thats right, why try at that point. Trade Harden and plan your future. Get a high pick+ and make that high pick count (only way to normally get a superstar anyways).

9. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

The Rockets will win and will win with Harden. Come on...he is the offense pretty much right now. Didn't I see posted we're top 10 in offense. We need a rim protecting,post up big and some outside shooter who hopefully plays defense as well. Don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

My eyes are sore...what did I just read???

11. Le$$

Le$$ Member

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/06/2016_nba_draft_rumors_boston_c_5.html

Boston would trade #3,#23,(2 First, early and late) (2 2nd's near top) #31,#35/Isaiah Thomas for James Harden . Honestly i would trade him and start over. There just two many good picks in there boston has to rebuild a team with, they already have a good team and dont need all those picks. I dont think anyone would want to come here and play under D. Antonio or Harden. Just going to have a .500 1st round exits under this coach, until harden bails in 2 years. I would just thank about the future, you put all your eggs in hopes for free agents to sign but they dont, you offer this and rebuild for the future.

PLus you can start over with 2 max contracts. Hassan Whiteside + Barnes, and maybe draft Jamaal Murry

Isiah thomas/Pick
    Jamal Murry/Pick
    Harrison Barnes/Pick
    D-mo/Pick
    Whiteside/Pick

Build a new young team from ground up like GSW did, and then sign your vets in 2007 to pare around them. Its better than overpaying sub par role players to come get bounced out of first round with Harden..

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm telling you guys they should trade him now for picks and a player.
    We are going to be in this spot again for the next few years. Still trying to build around Harden who can't lead a team anywhere worth going.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Durant is not signing with the Spurs so close this stupid thread out. Loser minded thinking. He's not going to Warriors or Spurs it's media bs. Durant most likely will be back on thunder if he's not here or on Lakers or Wizards.

14. sabesque

sabesque Member

To be fair, he led us as far as any other team since the Kerr-era warriors reign

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We really wouldn't have to start over. Keep Howard and a few other vets on the team and just add those 2-3 players from the draft to replace Harden. Again I say, the trick to pulling this off is to draft the right players, which is really easier than they make it out to be.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He's done a good job but the chance of getting another star here are slim imo. Best to just trade him now instead of waiting until he's ready to leave.
    The Rockets make this mistake all the time.

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

You're advocating building with a quite obviously declining (or I should say declined) Howard, who has admitted that he becomes unmotivated unless he gets post touches that he is so ineffective at, versus harden?

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If you trade Harden, you won't even need a top draft pick(s) in return because we will be even worse than Philly, thus guaranteed to be at the top of the lottery for years to come.

19. sabesque

sabesque Member

Hardens value coming out of 2015-2016 is probably not quite what it was last season or it would be given a year with MDAs offensive minded system and a chance to change his defensive perception.

Even if you think that resetting is the right course of action, I don't know if now is the best time to.

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

What's still so crazy to me is how poised the Warriors are salary-wise for the next 3 to 4 seasons. With this salary increase, people were seriously talking about Terrence Jones getting $18 million. Al Horford, Ryan Anderson getting $22-25 million.

And this is the Big 3 for the Warriors next year:
    Klay 16.7
    Dray 15.3
    Steph 12.1
    ----

And this is Klay Thompson the next 3 years: $17, $18, $19 million when Mike Conley is going to get $24 million a year.
    Dray for next 4 years: $15, $16, $17, $18 million when people are entertaining the idea of Biz-maxing Biyombo.

It's still bonkers to me how Curry is getting $11.3 this season. Meanwhile we pay full retail price for people through the free agency. Well not Harden. We're getting a steal on him. But Howard for instance. How do we even pretend to compete against the Warriors next year when the cap is $91 million and they have their Big 3 for less than half of that. Or the Spurs? Leonard & Aldridge for $38 million next year, when people could be paying ~$50 million for a Conley-Horford combo.

But we're here because we're terrible at drafting and developing internally. We refuse to rebuild so we do the pseudo-contender thing and don't get decent draft picks. Then whoever we do draft and develop, we do it only to flip for cap space and flexibility so we can go chase full retail free agents.

#80 cdrive, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016