1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No call list on hold...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by haven, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I understand what you're saying exactly. See, I worked as a fundraiser for a university, and I'd call people asking them to donate money to us. Actually, all non-profit calls were not affected by the do not call list anyway, because they are not selling anything.

About not being able to tell these people no - they're not allowed to say no. We were forced to ask at least three times. On multiple occasions, I was written up by my boss because I accepted the person's first rejection. And this was a charity, believe it or not. They expect you to just ignore someone saying that they just lots their job or they're about to buy a new home, and try again. Believe me, there's just as much, if not more guilt on the other side of the phone. But they do it because it's their job, and they have to.

At our place, everything was on computers. We didn't dial the numbers, we just sat there with our headsets on and waited for someone to answer. We'd only get into our sales pitch about 7 times an hour. Most of the time nobody answered or the person claimed to not be home. And whenever someone asked to be removed from our lists, all we did was push a button on the computer screen after the call, and they were gone.

My suggestion is - hang up on them if not interested. Don't even wait for them to pause, they'll appreciate not having to talk to you if they don't want to. Or just wait, and then ask to be removed from the list. I think for the most part, they'll try to do it.

As much as we all hate telemarketers, there must be a reason they're still in business, right? Some of these people must actually be interested in the things they're selling. I personally support the do not call list, because it makes everyone's lives easier, telemarketers and non telemarketers alike.

2. NachbarSucks

NachbarSucks Member

Just our government taking care of big business. I actually enjoy talking to some of the telemarketers, although I'm sure they don't enjoy talking to me. One of the earlier posters was right on the money in regards to dealing with these calls. Ask them to hold on for a few seconds and they will be out of business in no time, I hope!!!