1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Henson to enter 2004 NFL Draft?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=insidedishhensonwouldrat&prov=tsn&type=lgns

It's 85 percent certain that former Michigan quarterback Drew Henson will negotiate a settlement on the $12 million the Yankees owe him and give football a shot. The Texans hold Henson's rights -- they used a sixth-round draft pick on him last April -- and have received some calls from other teams about him. But Henson may end up sitting out the year and entering the 2004 draft. Where would he be selected if teams knew he was committed to football? The best guess is late in the first round. One respected personnel man says that if Henson had declared his interest to play before the 2003 draft, he probably would have been the fourth quarterback selected -- after Carson Palmer (first overall), Byron Leftwich (seventh) and Kyle Boller (19th), but ahead of Rex Grossman (22nd). There will be some hesitancy about taking Henson for several reasons: He hasn't played football since the 2000 season (Chad Hutchinson hasn't exactly lit the league on fire after a similar layoff); his production at Michigan may have been inflated by an all-star cast, and his physical skills might be slightly overrated. . . .

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That would be horrible.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Why enter the draft and limit his options when the Texans could trade him almost anywhere he'd want to go? Course I just want them to get something outa him, so I'm biased. :D

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I think thy'd trade for the best offer, not what he wants. We never drafted him with the intention of having him on our team, just do exactly what we're doing - getting a first or second round pick out of a sixth round.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

$$$

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it wouldn't be my preference...but it certainly wouldn't be horrible...all we lose is a 6th round draft pick from the prior year. not much to lose there.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Yeah, but we would have gotten jerked around. Do you think he would go to a better or more desirable team in the draft than via a trade?

8. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Henson's best interest is to get on the Texans roster. This way by the time the Texans trade him, he would already been a 2nd year player and would reap the benefits of being a 2nd year player (more guarenteed contract and closer to the NFL pension retirement program). Why lose a year if you don't have too. Also he would probably go to a good team that needs a young QB like the Packers or Raiders!!!

9. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

That's not the way it would happen. Henson would get more money going back into the draft. The whole advantage of him signing with the Texans is so he could negotiate which teams he is willing to play for. Otherwise he could end up going to the lousy Cardinals in the draft opposed to being traded by us to a conteding team like Green Bay, Oakland, or Dallas.

This will be the true sign of what's really important to Henson. More money or winning?:confused:

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

via a trade

i don't think that means we got jerked around...we knew the risk when we made the pick. we all thought it was worth the risk, though. it was, no matter what happens.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Jerked around in the sense that Henson would have known for a while what he was going to do about football, but will have waited just long enough to not honor his draft selection.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I think "honor" has some connotations that doesn't fit this situation. You make it sound like he committed to the Texans or told the Texans to draft him when he did just the opposite. He told everyone not to draft him. The Texans gambled.

If I were him, I'd negotiate the heck out of the situation. if I don't like what I see, I'd do the same thing and enter the 2004 draft. Henson owes the Texans absolutely nothing.

As a side note, many people here (especially Ric) predicted that the Texans could do no better than a late 2nd round, possibly 3rd round pick for Henson.

If he does get drafted, I still say he ends up 1st round.

13. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

That all depends on his showing at the combine.

He has been out of football for a good time now, and even though GM's were impressed with him during his collegiate career, its the combine that makes players 1st rounders, and other players drop like a rock.

If the Texans get nothing out of the deal, it would suck, but it was a calculated risk.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Let him do it, and get picked up by the Bangels.

Screw hm.

15. NachbarSucks

NachbarSucks Member

Why the heck would the Bengals take him?

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

possibly, but there's a tremendous difference in drafting him vs. trading for him, and that difference is access.

i know there are rules re: what teams can and cannot have access to. i don't think he can workout for other teams until, at the very least, he's signed a deal with houston. beyond that, can the texans invite teams to watch henson throw? not sure. even if they could, would they want to? again, not sure. their largest bargaining chip is henson's potential; they certainly wouldn't want to expose him in any way and decrease his value, so their best course of action, in theory, is to keep him tucked away and hope a sucker comes along.

assuming the texans have nothing to hide and open henson up, then the question becomes how much access will other teams have, per the NFL. again, i don't know the answer, but will it be as much as if he were to go back into the draft?

his value hinges on access. and then, beyond that, on his workouts. unfortunately, there's no preseason to show him off, so there's a lot of conjecture and uncertainity associated with him right now.

17. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Just earlier while having to suffer through a Cowgirls game, the sideline reporter for FOX (sorry his name slips my mind) said something to the effect that Jerry Jones was interested in trading for the rightsto Drew Henson, but now with the emergence of Qunicy Carter, that he has confidence in him now and sees no reason to try and trade for Henson now.

When I heard this, all I could htink was damn! I wonder what Casserly could've swindled the Cowgirls for (2nd and 3rd rounders this year?). Oh well there's probably other teams out there looking at Henson as well.

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Can the Texans trade for the "rights" to Drew Henson without having actually signed him?

19. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Yes. A team drafting a player establishes their rights on the player. This limits any other team from signing the player. That team can trade away the rights of signing the player to any team if they so choose.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

From what I understand, in the NFL, a team has to actually sign a player before he or his "rights" can be traded. So, the Texans would have to sign henson before they could trade him.