1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Illustrated is bias toward Houston teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shsu33, Sep 28, 2003.

1. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I'm a new member to Clutch City.net but I've been a Rocket fan all my life. If you don't know, Sports Illustrated has been doing a state poll of every single state in the country and it shows what teams are most supported in thier state. I had been a little worried for some time about this because I knew that Houston would get screwed but I didn't know they weren't going to use any lubricant. Get this, the most liked NBA team in the state of Texas is the Dallas Mavericks with 35% of the vote, while Houston and S.A. got 16% each and No Favorite got 20%!!! I'm not saying people don't support the Mavericks, because they do have support, but more than double the NBA champs and our Rockets that have done way more in their history. I'm getting the feeling that they polled a little bit too much in Dallas, other examples Cowboys 54%, Texans 17%. You know that can't be right. The last couple years I've been all over the east portion of Texas and all I see is the Texans logo. This wouldn't be that big of a deal to me but Sports Illustrated is worldwide and I don't want others thinking that Rangers have more support than the Astros! Are you kidding me? This is wrong because you cannot get a good poll by just 410 Texas residents in the second most populated state. Who in the state votes No Favorite anyway, everyone in Texas has opinions, Whats yours?

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

1) If they are(supposedly) screwing Houston teams, how is that a bias towards Houston teams?

2) Wrong Forum

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Thread moved...

4. SLA

SLA Member

Well the Mavericks are pretty popular...and their fans are pretty loyal to the Mavericks. But no one outside of Dallas likes them! Maybe some...

Cowboys...of course they are more liked than the Texans. They have much more history and stuff.

Astros are WAY MORE liked than the Rangers! What a joke...

5. NachbarSucks

NachbarSucks Member

They only polled around 500 people from each state. The whole series is a freaking joke regarding the polls.

6. blu_monkey

blu_monkey Contributing Member

i wouldn't lose any sleep over an SI poll, or any other poll for that matter

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Loyal right now because they're winning. I don't recall a whole lot of loyal fans at Reunion through the 90s. At some of those games, you could actually whisper a player's name from the upper deck, and he'd turn around and look at you from the floor.

8. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

All I remember is how SI didn't put the Rockets on the national cover after the rockets won their first title. Weak.

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Dallas has always gotten a lot of clout; financial and nationally. Plus they put an exciting team on the court. The Rockets have to first get into the playoffs before you can expect more coverage.

Did you actually expect the Rockets to get praise with a 42 win season? The Texans are rebuilding. Give them time.

#9 DavidS, Sep 29, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  10. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

In every poll there is a margin of error.

11. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

what, like the whole thing???? ;)

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK! LET'S BEAT THEM ON THE COURT!

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Have they ever been built yet? ;)

14. rsl5181

rsl5181 Contributing Member

do you guys hear that? is that the waahmbulance? waaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! waaaaaaaah!!!!

15. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

That was the same thing I was thinking.

16. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You know what I mean. :)

It's a new team.

#16 DavidS, Sep 29, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Houston teams are way better than Dallas teams (I'm including the Rangers), it's not even funny. I know the Mavs ripped us a new one last year, but I still think we're better, especially now that we got JVG. Texans 19 - Cowboys 10, nuff said. Astros and Rangers? puhhleeease.....Forget SI, we'll show them!

18. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Several people beat me to it. To be rebuilding dont you already have to be built? :D

19. drapg

drapg Member

The polls are not meant to be taken seriously.

They are a lighthearted look at local sports in all 50 states, in celebration of SI's anniversary.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over nothing.